Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L L2000E 1982

ped

In the specific instance of the L-2000, the neck of the Tribute has a 1¾" nut.

On the Tribute versions of the two models that have traditional alnico pickups rather than G&L's MFD pickups, the JB and LB-100, the pickups are not exactly the same as on the USA versions.

Edited by Ricky Rioli

29 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Does anyone have experience of the difference between the Fullerton and Tribute versions of the same bass?

I had a Tribute L2000 and now have a 1982 USA one. They didn't overlap so were never A/B'd but the two feel pretty similar other than weight. The USA one is a weighty old beast. The sound is exactly as I remember.

The tribute has the same hardware and pickups, the preamp is basically the same but there is a difference in components that means you can't do the L1000 mod that some people do as easily.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cocco said:

I had a Tribute L2000 and now have a 1982 USA one. They didn't overlap so were never A/B'd but the two feel pretty similar other than weight. The USA one is a weighty old beast. The sound is exactly as I remember.

The tribute has the same hardware and pickups, the preamp is basically the same but there is a difference in components that means you can't do the L1000 mod that some people do as easily.

I think the really early skunk stripe ones are quite close to pre EB stingray in neck feel, which isn't really surprising really

35 minutes ago, ped said:

I'm pretty sure the Tributes use USA hardware and electronics, so the difference is in the wood and finishing. The tributes look like fantastic value, but then again the USA models feel amazing and go for a steal on the used market compared to their better known relatives. I've never played a tribute or seen one in the flesh, though. Based on video evidence alone I'd say the difference in sound is negligible. With any product like this with a diffusion line it's normally the higher priced line which is more consistent, the attention to detail such as the fretwork and feel of the neck etc will be paid more attention, but the import model will be more variable - potentially the same on a good day, especially given the same fittings.

As far as I know, the L2K Tributes use the same US made MFD pickups but the hardware is sourced from Asia, made to US specs.

My Tribute sounded like my US one but the neck was chunkier and the bass much much heavier. Still amazing value for money!

• Like 1

I've played an ASAT many moons ago.

I recently acquired an SB-2 Tribute.

The ASAT had a glossier neck finish, but that's all I can remember. 

I can't fault the nut cutting, fret work and fit/finish on the SB-2. 

The bridge and pickups are the same as the American instruments. Not sure about the tuners, though. 

33 minutes ago, gareth said:

Great basses 

Shame you missed this one - you could have saved it going half way round the world to its new owner in Oz

I was tempted with that but I gave myself a strict brief on the exact combo I was after, sort of hoping I wouldn't find one. And then I did. So it's kind of bad and good. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gareth said:

Thanks Luke 

I’ve been saying for years that they are great basses

Good to know some people have been listening 

I bought one from you :D 

It was great bass - actually was one of the most important basses I’ve bought as it really helped me what I liked in a bass and what I didn’t and promoted me to sell off ever bass I owned at that point. Looking at the price of the L1000 in bass direct I should have hung onto it!!

• Like 1

The Sweetwater site will display the weights of basses if they have two or more identical basses in stock.  The U.S. versions do appear lighter than their tribute counterparts, though that may be down to the current basses they have in stock.

A couple of years ago I borrowed a natural ash L2000 tribute from a friend, it was built like a tank.

The seller has been pretty slow with sorting shipping and packing (although he's been very busy and I'm not in any rush) - but I think it'll be posted this weekend. 

The neck looks like it's got a similar 'golden' colour to my SB1, I guess from the varnish over time (though SB1 is only 1991). 

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Guess who has two thumbs and is now regretting letting his 80's L2000 go 👍👍

Well if I hate it then you can buy this one :)

l2k_3.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyBass said:

The Sweetwater site will display the weights of basses if they have two or more identical basses in stock.  The U.S. versions do appear lighter than their tribute counterparts, though that may be down to the current basses they have in stock.

A couple of years ago I borrowed a natural ash L2000 tribute from a friend, it was built like a tank.

I noticed that the white Tribute LB-100s Sweetwater were listing recently had acceptable weights, but the natural finish Tribute LB-100s were all

27 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

The CLF L1K is also getting a new colour. Goes well with my fav tea 😉

Looking at the existing colour options for the L1K, that'll be a basswood body, with Caribbean Rosewood (presuming they won't pair that colour with a maple fretboard)

• Like 1

Having given this a great deal of consideration, I've decided that I will be modding my never-to-exist L-2000 thus:

neck – series / inner coil

bridge – series / inner coil

selector – neck / bridge

vol – neck tone – bridge tone

No active, no parallel, just one pickup or the other, the volume knob the only thing controlling both pickups

• ped changed the title to NBD - G&L L2000E 1982