Why become a member? ×

Have you been out yet?

TimR

Played our first gig last night.

Pub was rammed, seems the public are generally up for it. Have a couple of mini festivals booked, one is outdoor high stage next Sunday, one is a pub, not sure if it's inside or outside.

How is everyone else doing?

• Like 1

I’ve played at three different pub venues since “The Great Release” Tim and I have to say that generally people are behaving like nothing had ever happened.  Of course, as individuals we can take some actions (masks where appropriate, not sharing mics, space, open doors/windows etc.) but my feeling is that to pub gig at the moment you need to be risk-tolerant.  It maybe different in your area. My plonking-ground of Derby/Notts has a high amount of bolshy non-compliance with most things. In the pub I was at on Saturday I doubt I could have thrown a bottle over my shoulder without hitting an anti-vaxer. 

• Like 2

Yes, I'm three gigs in with a fourth coming up. If one didn't know better, you could easily assume there hadn't been a pandemic, or should you could easily assume there wasn't a pandemic going on still. I have to say, I have a lot more gigs in the diary for what remains of 2021 than I ever thought I would have in January.

• Like 4

We've played one outdoor, small charity gig a couple of weeks ago. We've got a small private party this weekend, which I'm hosting in my barn, and a possible mini, outdoor festival in my garden in a couple of weeks time, which again I'm hosting, with another two local bands, if the local lockdown situation permits. 

That'll do me for now. Outdoor gigs and small private functions where I know who is in attendance and have some control over numbers. 

I've got no desire to play busy indoor bars full of the great unwashed. Although, to be fair. That was the case even before Covid. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

my feeling is that to pub gig at the moment you need to be risk-tolerant.

Yes. I agree with you there.

I'll try not to derail, there's a long enough thread in OT. 

Seems to be a mix, guess it's going to be down to all members of the band to be up for it. Hope it doesn't provoke arguments. 

12 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’m in 4 bands and none of then

have managed a single bloody thing yet. Off to King’s Lynn in a fortnight for a little outing though, then it’s back to rehearsing and no gigs for the foreseeable 😔

Good luck. More data is coming out everyday and as time passes people should get more confident. 

• Like 1

I've managed two so far this year - upstairs in a pub in Camden (modest crowd) and a busy local outdoor festival. Enjoyed both and felt people were pretty sensible on balance. I'm at HRH festival this weekend and all being well out every weekend throughout September across the South of England. Fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’m in 4 bands and none of then

have managed a single bloody thing yet. Off to King’s Lynn in a fortnight for a little outing though, then it’s back to rehearsing and no gigs for the foreseeable 😔

Ha ha. This sounds like me. My first 5 gigs will be with 6 different bands. I’ve had a couple of enquiries from venues we’ve not played before asking us if we/re free. I do wonder if there is a situation where some bands are not willing to go out just yet which is leading venues to chase bands rather than the other way around?

• Like 2

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. This sounds like me. My first 5 gigs will be with 6 different bands. I’ve had a couple of enquiries from venues we’ve not played before asking us if we/re free. I do wonder if there is a situation where some bands are not willing to go out just yet which is leading venues to chase bands rather than the other way around?

That's a good point. I never thought about it that way around. I bet there are loads of bands where at least one member is not willing to go and play to crowds yet. 

27 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The band booked for the Friday failed to show up.

Home recording aside, I've no musical ventures going on, haven't stepped into a pub or restaurant since mid-March 2020 and have little desire to do so.

Good friend of mine (double-vaxxed), tested positive at the weekend; weirdly he was photographed with a bunch of people at a pub on Saturday, had a 'nasty fall' at the end of the night (not sure of the circumstances), ended up in hospital where he tested positive.  All the more reason to stay home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimR said:

Seems to be a mix, guess it's going to be down to all members of the band to be up for it. Hope it doesn't provoke arguments. 

So far, so good Tim.  The covers band, who are getting the gigs have an age spread of 18 to 65. The oldies are double-jabbed and the youngsters want the money!

• Haha 1

I've done 5 gigs in 3 weeks, now "resting" for a month. I still feel very nervous walking in to a gig, but I'm double jabbed and always carry antibacterial spray and wipes.

If Covid finally comes my way, the percentages are on my side that it will be on the level of a cold. The more antibodies the better.

No, neither as performer or punter.

My main band is now drummerless and the other guys don't want to carry on - so no gigs forthcoming. My other band - maybe I'll hear something from the BL.

As a punter I already missed one as the rescheduled date clashed with a rescheduled holiday. First world problem!

I have a few 'delayed tickets' , I think one is coming up soon.

Double jabbed, but still nervous about the old infection rate.

Edited by Nail Soup