Why become a member? ×

Upgrade head or cab?

lownote

Currently got an Ashdown MAG 300 evo ii head going into an 8 ohm Ashdown RM 210 cab.  Playing in a rock band at smaller pub gigs, and I'm having turn both gain and volume right up, adding the bass and top end boost and a bit of compression to be heard.  Now, should I get a more powerful head (eg 600) so I get more headroom with one cab I've got.  Or should I get a second cab to pull a tad more power out of the head I have and double the number of oomph makers? 

At small pub gigs, I`m surprised that the MAG and 1 cab isn`t enough. I used an old MAG 300 and a ABM mini 2 x 10 in these type of gigs and often had to turn down.

Not doubting you by the way, everyone`s needs are different. I would go for the extra cab.

Edited by jezzaboy

6 hours ago, lownote said:

Now, should I get a more powerful head (eg 600) so I get more headroom with one cab I've got.  

Chances are you've reached what your cab is capable of putting out with your current amp.

should I get a second cab to pull a tad more power out of the head I have and double the number of oomph makers?

Power doesn't matter. What does matter is driver displacement and speaker sensitivity. The 6dB increase in voltage sensitivity from adding a second identical cab and the 6dB increase in maximum displacement limited output are the equivalent of quadrupling power if your 210 could handle it, the possibility of which is slim to none, and Slim just left town.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Keep what you've got and get the rest of the band to turn down. 

If the Mag300 and 2x10 are struggling at "small" gigs, the rest of the band is way too loud. 

I've got the Behringer Mag300 clone, and running out through my 2x10 It makes my ears bleed at anything above half volume. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

Thanks to a bit of excellent serendipitous salesmanship on the part of Mr Merton I will soon be the possessor of a second RM 210T cab, unleashing thunderbolts of Ashy sound on my fandom. Not because Uncle Bulgaria's wrong, but because in one weekend I just earned enough gig fees to be able to afford it.  And second bass cabilules are more important than food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, lownote said:

Thanks to a bit of excellent serendipitous salesmanship on the part of Mr Merton I will soon be the possessor of a second RM 210T cab, unleashing thunderbolts of Ashy sound on my fandom. Not because Uncle Bulgaria's wrong, but because in one weekend I just earned enough gig fees to be able to afford it.  And second bass cabilules are more important than food.

Yes. Buying more gear will always trump being sensible. 

Congratulations sir. You truly are a bass player. 😅

• Like 2