Why become a member? ×

Help needed getting a guitar lead

Guest aDx

20 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I know he sadly doesn't make them any more, but I'll check which cable @obbm used for my longer bass cable - it is a softer material so doesn't curl or knot itself, and is very tough.

It's Sommer. Highly recommended.

I used to always buy from Dave.

In his absence, I used Designacable (previously bought a hi-fi cable from them) last week for a speakon and regular lead.

Totally recommended. Go for the best you can (I did on the speakon) and it's superb.

My hi-fi cable was also super quality.

Best I've found. Wouldn't look anywhere else....customer service also excellent. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

I know he sadly doesn't make them any more, but I'll check which cable @obbm used for my longer bass cable - it is a softer material so doesn't curl or knot itself, and is very tough.

Get a lead made with Sommer LLX cable and Neutrik NP (Professional) connectors.  Top specification. It doesn't kink or curl, doesn't remember it's been coiled and lays out flat on the floor when you unwind it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aDx said:

Best wireless?

For total freedom there's nothing like it.

In my jumping around days (before taking leadvocals as well as bass) sometimes I landed on my cable either unplugging mid-song or breaking the wire at the plug. 

With wireless systems becoming both more reliable and affordable I'd go for it.

Edited by Bolo

14 hours ago, aDx said:

Best wireless?

'Best' I don't know, but we use a Smooth Hound, and it's darned good. The sound is right, it's lightweight, the batteries last ages and it was affordable when we bought it, a few years ago now. I'd buy another with no hesitation. :i-m_so_happy:

27 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

'Best' I don't know, but we use a Smooth Hound, and it's darned good. The sound is right, it's lightweight, the batteries last ages and it was affordable when we bought it, a few years ago now. I'd buy another with no hesitation. :i-m_so_happy:

Gonna give this a go...  thanks

54 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Just ordered one!

:)

The reason leads curl up/knot themselves is because many coil them up by winding them over an arm, which puts twists into them - one for every time you coil it over your arm, so it adds up to a lot in a 10 metre or longer cable. Learn the right way to coil them (there are YouTube vid's showing how to coil mic' leads without twisting them) and the problem will be solved.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2021 at 03:50, Dan Dare said:

The reason leads curl up/knot themselves is because many coil them up by winding them over an arm, which puts twists into them - one for every time you coil it over your arm, so it adds up to a lot in a 10 metre or longer cable. Learn the right way to coil them (there are YouTube vid's showing how to coil mic' leads without twisting them) and the problem will be solved.

Yerp.

Search 'over under cable wrapping'. And get a velcro cable tie.

As to jumping about, you want a right angle plug into your bass and a healthy loop of cable tucked into the strap. If it won't stay by itself use the velcro tie.

On 21/08/2021 at 19:37, barkin said:

Leads don't get tangled & knotted by themselves.

People do it...

You sir are a liar!!!

It's a well know fact that you can very carefully and neatly roll up or fold over a cable or wire of any kind, place it in a bag or simply leave the room for 10 seconds, and upon removing it from the bag or re-entering the room the cable or wire will be in some kind of un-untanglable knot. Fact.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

See if you just train yourself into a habit of curling them up tidily after every use, your cable woes will disappear! Get some velcro cable ties and it means when you pull them out the next time you need them there all tidy! 

Makes a big difference! 

What makes the difference is how you go about turning straight cable into a coil and having it uncoil into a straight cable again. I don't know anyone who doesn't wrap it into a tidy coil, but only about half do it correctly. The other half get the OP mess when they take it out.