Why become a member? ×

Vegan strap?

1 hour ago, itu said:

Well, there's not a single cow out there for the leather. Leather is simply waste from meat industry. Leather will be available as long as people eat meat.

In other words: If you buy leather, it will not add the production of meat, no. But if you eat meat, it will produce more waste - leather - to the market.

I do have been talking about this with people who know the industry. (I haven't been eating meat since 80's. But because of cold facts, I have few very good leather straps.)

It's a personal choice. I choose not to wear or use it. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I've just ordered vegan strap.

Does anyone know how I should cook it?

MOJO-RACE-YELLOW-1000-1200x900.jpg

Singer in my band just bought a couple of these. I haven’t used them but I know she really rates them.

22 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Nice one. I've seen those Right On Straps but discovered Couch straps through here so use those. I can honestly say even if you take away the vegan aspect, they're the best straps I have ever used. They look really cool and they are as reliable as anything I used before. 

+1 for Couch. I’ve been using their seatbelt straps for years and I don’t see myself buying anything else.

They did start cutting them slightly shorter a few years ago, which was too short for me, but I emailed them and they cut one at the old length so all good.

I’ve bought wallets and belts from them too!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, inthedoghouse said:

+1  I've got a couple of RightOn! Mojo straps and a few Couch.  It's a shame the shipping is so costly from the USA with Couch though.

I'd not heard of the Couch ones, shame - as you say - you've got the shipping to factor in.

This is the style of Right On one I got - The design worked into the top is really groovy and it's very comfortable.

preview.jpg

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I'd not heard of the Couch ones, shame - as you say - you've got the shipping to factor in.

This is the style of Right On one I got - The design worked into the top is really groovy and it's very comfortable.

I'd certainly buy another from the Mojo series from RIghtOn!  They're very comfortable, as you say, and seem to be hard wearing.  Mine are the 'Red Roses' straps.

The Couch straps are very well made, if a little expensive (imho).  I especially like them because all their straps are mostly made from recycled materials and contain no animal products  I've bought a couple from them direct, several off eBay, and one off here on BC.

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/guitar-straps

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

I just painted a martini racing bass.

had to order the matching strap!

It’s on the way!

I remembered Right on doing a race series.

Very much up my street.

FCFE38DB-2DF7-46F1-ABFC-EC4EBFD9CAF4.jpeg

E35AC2FB-4FDB-489A-A6F1-AFEC4069EE5D.jpeg

I’ve been looking at new straps for my EB3.

Right On have popped up a few times, but I hadn’t spotted the race series.

Just ordered a Gulf colours one…

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

I just painted a martini racing bass.

had to order the matching strap!

It’s on the way!

I remembered Right on doing a race series.

Very much up my street.

FCFE38DB-2DF7-46F1-ABFC-EC4EBFD9CAF4.jpeg

E35AC2FB-4FDB-489A-A6F1-AFEC4069EE5D.jpeg

I've got that strap. It's so good I got two more. Mansons have been great at getting me whichever I fancied off the RightOn website, whether they stock it or not. 

As for the vegan aspect.... I'm not vegan, I wear leather shoes etc. But it's just a very good strap. And if it's in some way, environmentally or ethically "better" than I'm OK with that. 

• Like 2

I've got a few Couch straps and would definitely recommend them - the Right On ones look nice as well, but I find the Couch designs more striking. I'm a big fan of Couch's straps that use old vehicle upholstery and I recently bought one made out of a hideous old 70s sofa. Shipping costs weren't as bad as I feared and it somehow didn't get hit with customs duties either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

As for the vegan aspect.... I'm not vegan, I wear leather shoes etc. But it's just a very good strap. And if it's in some way, environmentally or ethically "better" than I'm OK with that. 

I'm also not vegan but often buy vegan products to try and be more environmentally friendly. That said vegan doesn't necessarily mean better for the environment, and the synthetic leather used in many of the Right On straps is just as bad for the environment as leather - it isn't biodegradable, uses environmentally damaging chemicals, and has a high carbon footprint. The main advantage really is that cows aren't being killed for it.

If you're looking to choose a strap that is better for the environment then cork is a better choice than synthetic leather. Right On do some cork straps, but I haven't tried them myself so can't vouch for quality.

Edited by Tait
Typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tait said:

I'm also not vegan but often but vegan products to try and be more environmentally friendly. That said vegan doesn't necessarily mean better for the environment, and the synthetic leather used in many of the Right On straps is just as bad for the environment as leather - it isn't biodegradable, uses environmentally damaging chemicals, and has a high carbon footprint. The main advantage really is that cows aren't being killed for it.

If you're looking to choose a strap that is better for the environment then cork is a better choice than synthetic leather. Right On do some cork straps, but I haven't tried them myself so can't vouch for quality.

Some good points here. Couch are predominately recycled American automobile interiors which is cool. 

It's always nice to see people who aren't vegan or veggie using a product or two. I have been vegan for 3yrs (veggie longer and flexy even longer) and the one aspect of veganism I don't like is the belligerent "our way is the only way approach". Thankfully it really is just a tiny minority of people but I think it is why it provokes the reaction it sometimes gets, unfairly so. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Some good points here. Couch are predominately recycled American automobile interiors which is cool. 

Thats one thing I love about them - although it would be irrelevant if they weren't good, but they are.

Not only is it recycled and nothing was killed for it, some of those old cars had really good interiors, especially in the 70s. Well, maybe not for a car, but for a strap!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

It's always nice to see people who aren't vegan or veggie using a product or two. I have been vegan for 3yrs (veggie longer and flexy even longer) and the one aspect of veganism I don't like is the belligerent "our way is the only way approach". Thankfully it really is just a tiny minority of people but I think it is why it provokes the reaction it sometimes gets, unfairly so.

The problem is often that people who don’t think it’s a serious issue can’t see why anybody else should be so passionate about it. They need to understand that if someone feels that “meat is murder” they’re likely to be passionate - and yes, sometimes belligerent - about it. After all, it really is about life or death.

I have to justify my vegetarianism daily, often ridiculed - at least until my inevitable (belligerent!) reaction - or having to put up with comments like “but animals taste good” whilst being met with horror if I actually (excuse the pun) bite back.  I’ve worked with so many people who complain about vegetarians / vegans “going on endlessly about it” whilst completely failing to grasp that they’re doing the exact same thing about eating meat, day in, day out, and who also completely fail to understand that ridiculing people for making moral & ethical choices is not acceptable behaviour. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 4000 said:

The problem is often that people who don’t think it’s a serious issue can’t see why anybody else should be so passionate about it. They need to understand that if someone feels that “meat is murder” they’re likely to be passionate - and yes, sometimes belligerent - about it. After all, it really is about life or death.

I have to justify my vegetarianism daily, often ridiculed - at least until my inevitable (belligerent!) reaction - or having to put up with comments like “but animals taste good” whilst being met with horror if I actually (excuse the pun) bite back.  I’ve worked with so many people who complain about vegetarians / vegans “going on endlessly about it” whilst completely failing to grasp that they’re doing the exact same thing about eating meat, day in, day out, and who also completely fail to understand that ridiculing people for making moral & ethical choices is not acceptable behaviour. 

I've been vegan for about 4 1/2 years now. It took me about 18 months to transition from a fairly carnivorous diet, through vegetarian, to vegan.
I have a good friend, who has been vegetarian all his life and vegan for about 9 years now, while I still ate meat I used to respond to his vegan FB posts or comments with stuff like "Mmmm, bacon" or "but it tastes good". But slowly, embarrassingly slowly, I began to realise my "I love animals" comments were in direct conflict with my "mmmm meat" comments, and that my responses to my mate's posts/comments were pretty disrespectful and infantile. That realisation triggered my journey to veganism. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

I've been vegan for about 4 1/2 years now. It took me about 18 months to transition from a fairly carnivorous diet, through vegetarian, to vegan.
I have a good friend, who has been vegetarian all his life and vegan for about 9 years now, while I still ate meat I used to respond to his vegan FB posts or comments with stuff like "Mmmm, bacon" or "but it tastes good". But slowly, embarrassingly slowly, I began to realise my "I love animals" comments were in direct conflict with my "mmmm meat" comments, and that my responses to my mate's posts/comments were pretty disrespectful and infantile. That realisation triggered my journey to veganism. 

My usual response these days to the interminable “but it tastes good” comment is, “Babies. I bet babies taste great. Tried eating one of those? I bet they’re delicious.” It occasionally gets the point across. Where it doesn’t, there’s always the mention of sex and travel, or hospital food. 😉

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I had been vegetarian since my early teens when I switched to veganism. The hardest part for me was stopping eating cheese.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4000 said:

My usual response these days to the interminable “but it tastes good” comment is, “Babies. I bet babies taste great. Tried eating one of those? I bet they’re delicious.” It occasionally gets the point across. Where it doesn’t, there’s always the mention of sex and travel, or hospital food. 😉

Wouldn't a better answer just be something like "Not to me", and leave it at that? 

I'm not vegetarian or anything, and I have a bunch of leather products (straps, gigbag, shoes, jacket) but who really cares if someone else choose to eat meat or own leather, or not?

Anyway, those Couch straps look nice. It's just a shame that their coolest straps aren't any wider.

5 minutes ago, Doddy said:

but who really cares if someone else choose to eat meat or own leather, or not?

Aparently a lot of people really really care if someone else chooses to eat meat or own leather. I am not a vegan, but my wife is and frankly it is an eye opener how other people are.

5 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Anyway, those Couch straps look nice. It's just a shame that their coolest straps aren't any wider.

My grey paisley one that I posted up there was a custom as it was only on their site as a guitar strap, but my wife wanted to get it for me for my birthday so she contacted them and got it made wider with extra padding.

• Like 1