Why become a member? ×

Vegan strap?

3 minutes ago, rOB said:

Looks nice. Where did you get it from?

Strings Direct

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/straps-c54/vegan-guitar-straps-c841/righton-mojo-series-vegan-guitar-strap-race-yellow-p13126

RightOn make these in a load of different colours

https://www.rightonstraps.com/en/mojo-collection-race-black-strap.html?model=1

This is to go with my skinny stringed bullet mustang

Bullet-Competition-Mustang-HH-Graffiti-Yellow.thumb.jpg.a5ff8ac6212f7aca35cea0c9012a889e.jpg

• Like 5

Nice one. I've seen those Right On Straps but discovered Couch straps through here so use those. I can honestly say even if you take away the vegan aspect, they're the best straps I have ever used. They look really cool and they are as reliable as anything I used before. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's great to know we can choose to use or not use leather.

Well, there's not a single cow out there for the leather. Leather is simply waste from meat industry. Leather will be available as long as people eat meat.

In other words: If you buy leather, it will not add the production of meat, no. But if you eat meat, it will produce more waste - leather - to the market.

I do have been talking about this with people who know the industry. (I haven't been eating meat since 80's. But because of cold facts, I have few very good leather straps.)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, itu said:

Well, there's not a single cow out there for the leather. Leather is simply waste from meat industry. Leather will be available as long as people eat meat.

Or not - China is the biggest exporter of leather, and get through an average of 2 million cats and dogs to produce it as you can't tell the difference anyway. And in that case is the primary source then, any meat is a byproduct. 

And even without that, the opposite, if you don't buy leather it will reduce the value of leather and reduce the value in killing cows.

I am not vegan, or even vegetarian, but if there is a choice where both options are as good, I will go for the vegan option.

• Like 6

It's only in very recent times that leather has become, to some, a 'waste product'. Traditionally, tanning and leather goods were a major industry. Much has been taken over by motorised transport (less call for horse harnesses etc...) and petro-chemical garments (nylon, or PVC instead of leather jackets and shoes...). Once oil production dries up, I suspect these 'natural' products will have a second heyday. The alternative could be cotton, but it's not as hard-wearing, and difficult to water-proof. Just sayin'. B|

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I can't imagine that oil production will ever truly dry up, and even if it does, it doesn't mean you can't make plastic like materials. Even when you are not using petrochemicals for fuels, oils still have many uses.

True, today, for us, but there are plenty enough on the Planet that live without access to oil products, living off what Nature can provide for them. A diminishing way of life, but one that has done not so badly for Humans for the past... well, maybe even longer than that. I'm rather of the conviction that, for better or worse, our present life-style is rather the exception, and many would agree that it's not sustainable, whatever its advantages. Not that, for myself, now, I'd be willing to adopt a 14th-century way of life, but there's something to be said for keeping a hold on the past; it may be Our Future, as a species.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Or not - China is the biggest exporter of leather, and get through an average of 2 million cats and dogs to produce it as you can't tell the difference anyway.

You are partly right, and it is true China produces lots of dog and cat leather. But there's a difference in the feel. Like with other leather types, too. Yes, I was in contact with the industry quite a few years.

If any European or US company was found using dog/cat leather in their products, I would love to follow the media hassle. Korea or China is another story as they do not consider pets as our best friends the same way we do.

@Dad3353

The tanning industry was and is still dependent on the meat industry. I repeat: no meat equals no leather.

Actually I am far more worried about certain plastics, like fluororubbers which can be really dangerous to the atmosphere and the soil. You need an example: a white watch strap from "an edible thing growing in a tree". I do have lots of examples I wouldn't have wanted to find in my work few years ago.

All in all, I suggest everybody to think for a minute before buying anything. If your choice is sustainable and will be long lasting, it probably costs a bit more. But please: think for a moment, save few extra quids, and get a quality product instead of cheap bulk.

• Like 1