Why become a member? ×

Hi All

mwx1010

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to pop in and say hello as new to the forum.

I'm Mike from London. Been playing the bass on and off (mostly off over the last 10 years after I fell down the eurorack rabbit hole) since about 1990. Coming back to it after far too long out and seeing if I can still remember what I'm doing... 

In terms of playing I'm mainly into classic soul / funk / rock but I'll listen to pretty much anything. Looking to spend a bit more time working on technique this time around and fill in some of the gaps from being self-taught.

My first bass was a black Washburn Axxess (cheapest bass Machine Head in Hitchin sold - it made quite the ensemble with the ill-advised mullet I was sporting at the time). I relatively quickly upgraded to a Hohner Jack 4 (translation: lusted after a Status / realised that wasn't going to happen on pub-work wages). I've still got it but the preamp is dead so it needs some TLC.

676603190_IMG_03081.thumb.jpg.2734f4fdbaf6f1712ab97b13826a1917.jpg

Current working bass is a 2010 Sadowsky jazz in (nicely ageing) Olympic White:

IMG_0301.thumb.jpg.e07368a2340013e5d80cf75665d27edf.jpg

GASing for a P-Bass (never had one), but that's probably a difficult conversation with the finance committee.

Currently ampless (other than a little Roland practice amp) - I had a Laney Linebacker 300w Head / 2x10 / 4x10 stack back in the 90s but had to sell it when I moved out of my folks place as not really suitable for a fourth floor two room flat in a block with no lift. Just starting to get my head around DIs / cab-sims, etc. which seem to have come on a LOT since last time I was playing properly.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello.

Mike

Edited by mwx1010
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 10:30, Reggaebass said:

Really nice hohner, how does it sound 

At the moment - not very much....

When it's working I always found it quite bright - used to have to tinker with the preamp a lot to dial it back. Powerful sound though - was my first active bass.

Also being able to carry it in a guitar gig bag was a game changer.

• Thanks 1