Why become a member? ×

Is your cab the same make as your head?

Friskydingo

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

By the same logic, you probably should be playing a bass that's the same brand as the am and speakers...

Once upon a time you could have gone into a music store and cone out all Ampeg.

More lately Trace Trace Elliot and Peavey. Maybe Peavey still?

You could have mail ordered all Carvin until a few years ago.

Yamaha. They could put out Ampeg branded basses now they own it.

Fender.

Any more?

Edited by Downunderwonder

So hands up who has a 'fully optimised signal chain'?

I would have thought you should use the same brand of cables, pedals, strap and plectrum for sonic sartori.

Certainly possible with Fender.

Seriously though, I would expect most same-manufacturer amp/speaker combinations to sound decent, but obviously there are exceptions -  a rock oriented amp may not sound at its best when used with the same brand's acoustic-optimised cab.

But ultimately, amps and cabs do very different jobs so mix and match has the potential to be better, allowing for the fact that better depends on the musical style, where and how the setup is being used and the preferences of player, group and audience.

It's like saying one brand of camera works best with the same brand of lenses, when it's clear the best lens for a particular situation will often be by a different manufacturer.

Recent purchases are a RM 500 EVO 2 to go with my old ABM Mini 2x10 retro fitted with 2 x 8 ohms speakers. But this morning I have bought one of those 15" ABM Neo`s from M P for £229 so I will be refitting the original speakers to the Mini to use both cabs together when req. And as I play with 2 Marshall valve numpty`s, it will be req!

All I need now is some gigs :D

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a ‘matching’ GK main rig - 1001RB into a Neo 4x10, and also use a GK MB800 ( or occasionally my lovely old GK 800RB ) into a gen 1 Barefaced Compact. ( I also have been known to use my old Loud Inc 4x10 on occasion, which is probably the best ‘bang for the buck’ I’ve owned.)

Doing theatre shows I did want something that looks okay as well as sounding good, and for me the all GK pairing fits the bill just fine. Although a long time GK user, I’m still open to change though - if finances allowed I’d probably go down the Aguilar route as all the ones I’ve heard sound pretty damned good. A BF 4x10 (or two 2x10’s) would also tempt me, again if finances / gigs improve.

Mesa Boogie Head, BF cabs. Took a while to get there, but it's been that for a long while now, and I'm not inclined to change anything.

That's when I'm not using inears and a Stomp...although I use the Stomp all the time...

The last matching head and cabs was a Markball LMIII and the 410, about ten years ago...it was OK, but a little too cultured for me. I'm playing a festival in Glasgow in a couple of weeks where the supplied backline will be all Markbass, I'll be using my Stomp, so I doubt it'll sound very cultured once I've finished with it...in fact that was the reason I moved the LMII on; I found I was using a pedal in front of it all the time to perk it up, so I went on the hunt for a better head (for me)...oh, and the 410 got nicked... 😕

Edited by Muzz