Why become a member? ×

Is your cab the same make as your head?

Friskydingo

I personally think they are fantastic. The Pro Bias amp two software is very good. Your able to design your own sound and then save it to the head. Or download one of the presets Positive Grid has made, then you have tone cloud. Tone cloud could be somebody has uploaded there sound or amp/rig match a favourite of theres. Some people even amp match famous musicians like Steve Harris. I've had no latency issues which some people seem to worry about. There is a lot of adjustability. You can get matching pedals which you can get positive grid fx 2 software for, which has any number of effects you can think of. Everybody in the band was well impressed with it tonight at band practice. 

Similar to Kempers but slightly more affordable. Similar sort of level.

2 minutes ago, martin8708 said:

I used to use Markbass amps and cabs , but switched over to Vanderkley cabs when I was in a loud two guitar rock band . A P-bass and Markbass head seems to work well (to me ) 

Agree, they seem to pair very nicely 

Combos make a lot more sense these days with neodymium drivers and classD amps. If you're going to gave PA support it's almost a nobrainer.

On the other hand mixing brands has never been an issue for me. Plug in, tweak, play.

I started all Trace Elliot then got gas and now have a multitude of possible combinations available. Never once did 'this amp plays better out of that cab' occur to me when grabbing gear to go play.

A grab and go combo would be quite handy but I have too much gear already!

44 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

I'm edging towards a 1x12 or 2x10 cab. So once I get my head amp I'll start taking it to shops to try out. 

Just have to decide between aguilar th or orange terror, unless a deal comes up for dark glass or mesa amp

I keep thinking about buying another Orange TB as I've never had quite the same sound and feel from another amp as I did with that - it had a bit of a 'bounce' to it, if that makes any sense at all?! Sadly mine was one of the original v1s with the dodgy power board, so when it blew up at a gig I lost confidence in it, got it repaired under warranty and moved it on to try something else. I had the matching isobaric 2x12 cabinet at the time, and it never sounded anywhere near as crisp with that absolute boat-anchor of a cab as it did with my Barefaced Super12. I still have the S12, so I keep wondering whether to try and get the magic back... or just leave it in the past and remember it fondly.

I've never had an Aguilar TH but I have a Mesa D800 and tbh it's a bit vanilla - seems well made and sounds loud and clear, but to my ears it kinda lacks personality. I've never had a Darkglass, but since they look like the old Mac Mini and every one I've ever heard has been made to sound like a road drill, I'm not overly tempted to go there any time soon! :) 

• Haha 2

Goodness that’s a tough question.

I have run SWR through SWR, Eden through SWR, Eden through Eden, Ampeg through Eden (stinky poo), Aguilar through Aguilar, Tech 21 through Aguilar (stinky poo), Hartke through TC Electronic (lots of muscle not much personality) and now Mesa through Aguilar SL 112’s which I love…

but recently bought an Ashdown ABM 600 and Ashdown ABM 2x10 and 115 cabs and it sounds immense.😃

So for me it’s a draw so far, personally I trust my ears not my eyes. 

I’ve run Ashdown through Ashdown (ok, quite scooped), Ashdown through Schroeder (good combo), Mark Bass through Schroeder (a great match), but now I’m Phil Jones through and through (not unlike the Mark Bass/Schroeder combo, but smoother and clearer).

Can't remember the last time I used amps and cabs by the same manufacturer for any period of time (until recently, see below). Only two combinations that lasted were with Mesa M-Pulse head and powerhouse cabs, and Ampeg SVT-II and an SVT-15 cab. Otherwise I tended to find that most heads I liked sounded better through cabs made by other manufacturers. But having stopped gigging and doing the occasional pickup on electric and DB, I picked up a Euphonic Audio Doubler and Whizzy 12 and bloody hell, they are a million times better together than I thought would be the case. What I assumed would be a huge compromise for size and I/P options (two channels with mic and PUP inputs for DB plus phantom power) has turned out to be a very good buy for tone. Assumed it would be good for DB, had no idea it would be so damn good for electric. Punches like a heavyweight, moves around like a flyweight 👍    

I used to use matching heads and cabs, I’ve had Trace, Ashdown, Warwick, Peavey. Then I bought a Barefaced Big Twin 2 and went down the Class D route. Since owning the BT2, I’ve used GK MB Fusion, Aguilar TH500, TC RH450 & 750, GB Shuttle 9.2 and a Darkglass M900 through it. I’ve now gone ago to heavyweight head and am using a EBS TD650. 

I've only ever had one rig that got close to matching, an Ashdown superfly head and a Neo Ashdown 4x8" cab, after that i swapped to a SWR Headlite and the 4x8, then swapped out the 4x8 for a pair of the gen 2 Barefaced Midgets (possibly the last batch made as the Gen 3 was released about a month after i ordered) not long after that i swapped from the SWR to a Markbass F1 head, and that's been my rig ever since.

I've tried the cabs with Aguilar, Mesa boogie (i think) and a Mk1 Orange terror bass heads at Basschat Bashes, they all sounded fab but i never had the cash to swap out the F1. (although i have acquired an earlyish Trace Elliot AH250 GP11 which also sounds fab with these cabs)

For me I don't feel the need to match the cabs to the head, but if i'm running 2 cabs ideally they would be designed to work well together so having them the same make is a good start.

Matt

My socks don't even match most days.

I do like having a strap that matches (or at least co-ordinates with) the colour of the I'm playing bass though.

For amp & cab I own a Markbass LMII and a Schroeder 1212L but I don't use them with my current band as they already had a lovely Ashdown ABM rig when I joined so I play through that.

I’ve gone through various combinations of Ashdown, hartke, Tc electronics, Gallien Krueger, Barefaced, trace Elliot.

my current setup is Ashdown Abm 600 evo iv and 2x ashdown 115 evo ii cabs - no tweeters. I’m only 2 gigs in with this setup, but so far it’s the best sounding setup I’ve had. Is it because they’re matching? Doubt it I’ve just stumbled on a combination that works for me (and the cabs were super cheap in comparison to the others I’ve used).

I know it’s difficult, but I think you’ve really got to try these head/cab combinations in a band environment. I’d suggest buying used and shifting them on for a similar amount of money if you don’t like them

Yes and no, personally..

The Trace Elliot SMX rig uses the matching 2103H and 1153 (2x10 & 1x15) cabs - they all seem to play reasonably well together. The cabs are a bit dated but they're still up to the job although there's not that much 'identity' to them. My other rig is a V-Type head with two SWR Goliath Jr 3s and I have to say, the SWR cabs are alot more characterful and of a higher fidelity than the Trace cabs. The SMX head through the SWRs is a killer so a bit of mixing and matching is probably a good thing..

The gentleman who made my Acme cabinets only does speaker cabinets thus my answer is no. 

My amplifier consists of a 2KW capable Class D Stereo power amp, made by Carvin, that is driven by a tube pre-amp of my own design and construction. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul