Why become a member? ×

Fender MIJ Original 50s bass

machinehead

I played one of these yesterday in my local music shop.  I was highly impressed and sorely tempted to buy.

I had a 2005 MIJ 51 reissue that I gave to my son 10 years ago as a 30th birthday present.  I loved the bass and gave it to him because he loved it even more than me.

I've missed it ever since I parted with it.  Has anyone tried these new reissues?  It seemed lighter in weight than my 2005 but maybe not as solid sounding.

Has anyone bought or tried one and has an opinion?  I'm sorely tempted. 😧

Frank.

• Like 1

When I was recently looking at the current MIJ Precisions (if you want to do the same, tell the Fender site that you're in Japan) I noticed that the "Traditional" range of Ps (a 50s, a 60s and a 70s) all have nut widths a couple of mm less than what was standard in the 50s 60s and 70s. 

Is that the case with your MIJ 50s – it the neck a bit slimmer than on, say, the MIM Vintera?

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When I was recently looking at the current MIJ Precisions (if you want to do the same, tell the Fender site that you're in Japan) I noticed that the "Traditional" range of Ps (a 50s, a 60s and a 70s) all have nut widths a couple of mm less than what was standard in the 50s 60s and 70s. 

Is that the case with your MIJ 50s – it the neck a bit slimmer than on, say, the MIM Vintera?

I'll get the Vernier callipers out tomorrow but according to the website the neck widthis 42mm or 1.650" and U shaped.  It feels quite beefy, in a good way.

Frank.

• Like 1