Why become a member? ×

Behringer - cheap and nasty???

TheGreek

6 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Agreed although the Soundcraft Ui series are better than the XR series IMHO.

Indeed, there are a lot around - I haven't tried them as I have been really happy with the XR, but certainly when it came out there wasn't much around in the same price bracket and it managed to get a good market as the goto mixer for small bands. Ive done a couple of hundred gigs with it and still more than happy in that it hasn't let me down (although had a bit of a panic at one gig when I forgot my iPad - but used mix station on the phone) - familiarity is good.

I've never used their pedals but have an XR18, an X32 Rack and both an SD8 and SD16 digital stage boxes and in the past I've had their outboard rack gear notably the 4 way cross over, 31 band GEQ and a V-Verb Pro 2496.  All have performed flawlessly and done exactly what they are supposed to do at a fantastic price point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Indeed. Outside of America the words "Made in the U.S.A." are rarely associated with quality, so it does seem odd that they have hold much a view. 

American or German car? American or Japanese electronics? American or Italian coffee? German, Japanese and Italian for me please.

Anyway, Behringer user here. Always been happy enough for the outlay. DI box, tuner and overdrive, and despite people moaning about the plastic cases (thats why they are so inexpensive) they are extremely robust and surivive night after night of me doing the fandango on them, and im 19 1/2 stones. I recently gave them a clean with baby wipes and the came up like new.

I could spend 3 or 4 times as much on Boss gear, for little appreciable performance, sound or durability gains.

• Like 3

The Behringer DI Box has a weird grounding system that can be problematic with a some instruments. In particular with The Terrortones using the Etherwave Theremin, every time we couldn't get a signal from it to the PA it turned out that they were using a Behringer DI Box. Swapping it for one of my EMO DIs would immediately sort out the problem.

We eventually worked out that it was something to do with the way the Theremin and Behringer DI Box were earthed, that the the DI input was essentially being shorted out when the Theremin was connected. Considering that one of the functions of a good DI box is to electronically isolate the connected equipment from the PA, that seems to be a major short-coming on the part of Behringer, and could potentially lead to serious problems if there was a mains voltage issue on either side of the box. As a consequence I now always carry sufficient high quality DI boxes for all my gear that require them and always use those in preference to Behringer ones.

Sorry, I was talking about the DI100 which seems the staple of many musicians, smaller venues and low budget PA systems.

I don't think I there are any decent live videos of The Terrortones using the Theremin (For some reason all the good live videos are of the Theremin-free songs), but if you have Spotify have a listen to the "SnakeOil For Snakes" album.