Why become a member? ×

Behringer - cheap and nasty???

TheGreek

In my experience they are not cheap and nasty but just cheap and good. Never a trendy brand but good bang for your buck. The usual issue that people raise is the plastic casing. Frankly I cannot see how you would damage them unless you drove over them or abused them in some other way. Lightweight plastics in planes, trains and automobiles are lauded but if it is a Behringer pedal they get a slagging.

• Like 6

I think Behringer pedals are a bit hit and miss. Some of them sound great (like the Vibrato), and others are a bit poor (I really don't like the reverb), but mostly they are fine. People seem to have a problem with the plastic casing, but they'll be alright under relatively normal use.

They will always sell for next to nothing, because they are pretty cheap to begin with. There's no point buying a used pedal for £20 when you can get a new one for a fiver more.

I think Behringer make some great gear generally, but their pedals will never be at the top of my list.

I have a Behringer Tremolo pedal which does what it says on the tin.

My 'Vintage Tube Overdrive' is supposed to be an exact clone of the Ibanez Tube Screamer, obviously anyone neurotic about having a first-gen  op amp chip would disagree.*

*Strange how when manufacturers change a product it ALWAYS sounds worse...

The overdrive, fuzz, synth and limiter are right up there with the best to my ears. I can't believe they still manage to sell them for £20.

I have others which are fine rather than excellent and a couple that are a bit meh.

Personally I feel you can't go far wrong. How badly you'd have to mistreat them to break the tough plastic cases beggars belief.

13 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I have their Chorus and BD121 and they are great. I also have their octave pedal which I'm not that impressed with but that might be more me than the fault of the pedal. I wish they made a flanger as I'd be all over it.

They make 3 I know of; one of them is the BUF300 for bass.

Edit: actually, flippin hard to find. Are they discontinued perhaps?

Edited by Daz39

5 hours ago, Witch Hazel said:

they're so cheap it hardly seems worth the effort of buying them used - my Behringer BEQ700 (a copy of the Boss GEB-7) cost £17 new.

Yup. Mostly this I think. Plus a large dose of brand snobbery.

I love Behringer (along with Harley Benton) I couldn't afford to partake in my hobby as an extremely amateur musician without them. I've got loads of Behringer stuff, and despite the reputation, it's absolutely bullet proof. 

On 20/08/2021 at 19:42, TheGreek said:

So why is it that used examples sell for next to nothing - if they sell at all??

I like Beringer stuff but as their pedals are about £20 new with free postage and returns I'm not too inclined to buy second hand just to save £10 (if that) with little buyer protection, especially as they aren't made with build quality and longevity as their #1 priority (although I've never had one break).

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

I've bought a couple beringer pedals for my daughter.  

The Super Fuzz is superb, really decent on guitar or bass.

The chromatic tuner is OK but struggles with low tunings, anything below a low D is hit and miss. My Boss TU3 is quite a lot better.

My Behringer monitor headphones work well but the design of the body looks like they've tried to make them appear complicated and high tech, just like how you never see on high end monitor headphones. 

I might try a pair of Behringer monitor speakers. 

I've got a condenser mic C1 and a pair of C2. I've used C1 for guitar amp, vocals and now for kick drum. 

I've used a pair of C2 for recording an acoustic, crystal clear result!

Now they are also used as overheads in ORTF configuration. They pick up the slightest sound. Cheap? I'd say good value for money.

• Like 1