Why become a member? ×

1973/4 Mustang

EllCurrell95

15 hours ago, EllCurrell95 said:

why would you fake a mustang

If you've already got the wherewithal to make an old Mustang to hand, and by adding a label you can multiply the price....

This is why you get fake Casios: someone making dirt cheap digital watches changes the design of the outer layer and now has something worth a couple of dollars instead of a few pence.

Like most theft, the crime is opportunistic, someone greeting temptation with open arms.

Link to the listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Mustang-Bass-vintage-1973-1974-matching-serials-on-neck-and-body-plate-/133850670529?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

For context, I've got a 76 Mustang I refinished about 10 years ago. 

I think it's had a refin on the body and headstock at some point. The logo looks all sorts of wrong. Based on the pictures, the paint doesn't look thick or shiny enough for the poly used in the 70s. The type of wear on the poly looks odd to me too. 

For that year, white is the correct pickguard colour. Seems very white to me, but there do seem to be age related marks on it. Like someone has tried to adjust the trussrod without taking the neck off and some discolouration around the screw holes. Might be an oddly well preserved pickguard. 

The pitting on the tuners looks authentic to me and the bridge has the mute bars that reissues don't have. 

It also has the brass shielding plate in the control cavity, which are only in vintage instruments. 

The wiring looks familiar to me too. 

All in all, I'd say it probably is a 70s Mustang.