Why become a member? ×

Capo recommendations please !

Lfalex v1.1

I've found that my recently acquired G&L SB-2 Tribute came with such heavy strings (50-110)  that they were impeding my ability to play really swift passages due to their being slow to fret. To reduce the tension, I've changed the tuning to D standard. Fixed. Apart from songs that now require large stretches to hit an E¹ that'd normally just be an open string. 

Solution? Capo on 2nd fret. But I don't own one. Any recommendations,  good people of Basschat?

Thanks in advance,  Alex. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

there's probably a very good reason, but my first thought was why not fit lighter gauge strings?

A perfectly sensible question!

I have 2 other 4 strings tuned to E Standard, but some songs necessitate the low D and the 50-110 lo-riders sound and feel really good at D standard. But the odd tune crops up that just doesn't play well in that tuning (Message in a Bottle by The Police springs to mind) , I'll just slap the capo on rather than tune back up to EADG.

• Like 1

G7th P3 is about the best I found for my acoustic, but note it's optimised for acoustic guitar board radius, board width and string diameters.
I have never seen a bass player using a capo and never seen one available.

As Frank says try a G7th... if you must!!

9 minutes ago, Soledad said:

G7th P3 is about the best I found for my acoustic, but note it's optimised for acoustic guitar board radius, board width and string diameters.
I have never seen a bass player using a capo and never seen one available.

As Frank says try a G7th... if you must!!

@Soledadis quite right, very much optimised in the manner described. I have never seen a capo specifically designed for bass, which is why I’ve tried quite a few. I settled on the G7th C31020 Newport Capo. @Lfalex v1.1I was just rummaging through my desk and it turns out I have two of these or some reason, you are welcome to one if you want it?

Very early on in my musical endeavours I saw a band and the bass player was using a capo so I never thought anything of using one. I play up around the 12th quite a lot and play a lot of chords, it’s just another tool in the bag for me. In fact, sod it, here’s me using one.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Also useful for bringing double stops back into reach again! Used it on Nutshell (from Alice in Chains' Unplugged album. The Double stop is at D#, virtually unreachable from the playing position for the rest of the song. Bass in D standard, capo on 1st, and the D# is sitting there waiting..

Just what I wanted it for.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...