Why become a member? ×

Public Liability Insurance

Skinnyman

We’re booked for a wedding function next year (I hate doing bloody weddings but I’m outvoted so…) and the venue are asking to see PAT certification for our gear and proof that we have Public Liability Insurance.

I know that there’s a whole discussion about venues being against bands (preferring discos) and putting up as many barriers as possible but they’re also reasonable questions and it’s reasonable for us to comply.

Can anyone recommend a suitable broker or insurer that does a decent PLI policy? Preferably on a one-off basis?

31 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I know that there’s a whole discussion about venues being against bands (preferring discos) and putting up as many barriers as possible but they’re also reasonable questions and it’s reasonable for us to comply.

It does seem that there are getting to be more hurdles to jump now to be able to gig. I'm not sure it's just the venue being awkward to push bands out in favour of discos. There's legislation in place that requires the venue to put in place safety measures and be as safe as possible. Maybe it's a function of their operating insurance that it's a requirement for performers to have PLI & PAT in place(?) For the larger chains it may be a way of distancing themselves from potential legal costs eg: someone gets injured by the performers equipment (ooh eer missus! 🤣) the band are in the initial firing line for any claims. Any performer, disco, band, solo singer etc will have to provide the same documents. It's just that it's usually cheaper to hire a disco / solo singer than a full band.

I took out PLI for my band to help protect US. Even a minor claim from a punter (or the venue) can cost a lot in solicitors fees which tend to be higher than your average pub bands earnings 🙂

I used to use AMPband (Link) for my 5 piece band covering us for all our gigs. It was usually hotels or clubs that asked for PLI & PAT etc. but I had it in place for any venue. I never needed to use it but did notice that there were more potential incidents to use it in a bar gig where the drunk punters grab onto the PA stands for support or try joining you "on-stage" 😮😡 Also the cost of one off event cover was nearly the same as a full year. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but based on my experience and others who reccomended them to me its probably worth giving them a call.

An unfortunate fallout from the need for PLI and PAT etc is that in general it cuts into whatever you are paid as many pubs etc are still paying the same (or less) than 20 years ago. But that could be a WHOLE other thread 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was gigging, I used this place: https://www.makingmusic.org.uk/membership-and-insurance/musical-instrument-insurance-plus only because it was easy on the day before a gig. I'm surer there are others out there.

I've had to have stuff PAT tested before - sometimes the venue has an electrician who'll do it for you if you sweettalk them

Best of luck -  good to see live music back in action 👍

• Like 2

We had an electrician in the band. If a venue started asking questions he went round testing all the electric outlets before we plugged anything in. That usually stopped the questions. 
PLI is essential these days. In the UK the MU can help. 

• Like 1