Why become a member? ×

Songs you enjoy playing but not listening to

SteveXFR

I've started looking for some covers to learn  something I haven't done since I joined an originals band but since we split covers makes sense but what I'm finding is I'm most enjoying playing songs I don't really listen to but I thought I'd have a go at for something different. 

I really don't like Red Hot Chilli Peppers but Righteous and the Wicked is really good to play. Same goes for Nice to know you by Incubus.

Anyone else find songs you enjoy playing aren't the same as what you enjoy listening to?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

...Anyone else find songs you enjoy playing aren't the same as what you enjoy listening to?

I listen to a lot of Schubert, Mahler, Bruckner etc. I don't get much opportunity to play those riffs, though. :|

• Haha 1

I currently don’t like anything I play. I’m in a classic rock band and I’m strictly soul and funk myself. That’s the compromise for finding a truly local band so I don’t have to travel all over the country.

I play JS Bach and othe baroque/classical on the flute… which I rather like. As the current band is on the edge of imploding I may be devoting more time to that… hopefully soon.

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

This may be of interest, then; it's very good, and not that difficult ...

W0wvxAU.jpg

Gawd it uses the "dots" !

As a mindless thug i always just work things out by ear.

tab wouldn't be much help either, as the uke, (one of the larger size ones) I've tuned like a banjo so it's dead easy to suss out innumerable tunes ;)

I used to hate most of our set. Every time we played songs I liked the punters didn't. I would have loved to have played a mixture of country rock and traditional mixed in with metal. The country rock and trad. to please the punters and the metal for me.

16 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Gawd it uses the "dots" !

As a mindless thug i always just work things out by ear.

tab wouldn't be much help either, as the uke, (one of the larger size ones) I've tuned like a banjo so it's dead easy to suss out innumerable tunes ;)

Try it, though (OK, maybe just the once...)..? Take the first page, work out, laboriously, what the notes are, and where they are on the bass. By the nature of the piece, the rhythmic notion is quite easy, and once you've worked out a line or two, you'll see how it works, and what it can bring to the party. It's a great introduction to 'dots', and doesn't imply that one has to become a 'swot', or pour over pages of operatic libretti. Just a couple of lines, and you'll impress yourself, I'm sure. :friends:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Try it, though (OK, maybe just the once...)..? Take the first page, work out, laboriously, what the notes are, and where they are on the bass. By the nature of the piece, the rhythmic notion is quite easy, and once you've worked out a line or two, you'll see how it works, and what it can bring to the party. It's a great introduction to 'dots', and doesn't imply that one has to become a 'swot', or pour over pages of operatic libretti. Just a couple of lines, and you'll impress yourself, I'm sure. :friends:

I've played a few wind instruments as a "yoof" so have used basic notation with that, long long ago..never attempted it with a bass or any stringed instrument tho.

My messing with keyboards is again purely by ear, including those 'string orchestra' things i do sometimes.

I had a lovely full score with all the individual parts for a Haydn piece for orchestra, this was an original 18th or 19th century printed manuscript, long lost now unfortunately, was just a nice set to have.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Sounds advice.  I have the same book, and for some of the notes, it really is a case of working out each one at a time.   

When I started to read music, I figured that it was an alphabet with perhaps a dozen letters - very manageable, given that I had mastered a 26 letter alphabet while still at primary school!  I still struggle with timing of notes, but note reading is now possible. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This may be of interest, then; it's very good, and not that difficult ...

W0wvxAU.jpg

When I was 14 my first teacher, school instrumental lessons, was a classical guitarist, he started me off on Bach Cello etudes. I wanted to learn Guns n Roses.

My second teacher, private lessons, made me do jazz. Complicated big chords and funny times signatures, but I wanted to do  Guns and Roses.

Neither of em let me do Guns n Roses and I'm so glad for that......I wasn't at the time.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

When I was 14 my first teacher, school instrumental lessons, was a classical guitarist, he started me off on Bach Cello etudes. I wanted to learn Guns n Roses.

My second teacher, private lessons, made me do jazz. Complicated big chords and funny times signatures, but I wanted to do  Guns and Roses.

Neither of em let me do Guns n Roses and I'm so glad for that......I wasn't at the time.

My daughter started guitar lessons at school last year and the teacher only did classical guitar while she wanted to play Misfits and Hives. She got bored and didn't practice enough. She's moving up to the next school after the holidays and they have a really good guitar teacher who will teach the fundamental skills to be a great guitarist but apply them to music the kids enjoy. He taught my older daughter bass a few years ago and I remember he taught arpeggios through ska and used Megadeath to teach timing exercises. 

2 hours ago, ambient said:

I will now only play what I enjoy listening to.

I've spent many years trying to expand my playing situations, and you're trying to reduce yours. I don't understand that approach to being a professional musician, which I believe you are.

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've spent many years trying to expand my playing situations, and you're trying to reduce yours. I don't understand that approach to being a professional musician, which I believe you are.

I’ve taught mostly for a few years, I had to reduce my playing whilst doing my masters and PhD. I was doing a lot of gigs until about three years ago, mostly jazz, I’ve just started again recently. I played with a new jazz trio this afternoon.

Edited by ambient

There's a probably apocryphal story of the musician who went into hospital and was asked if he had any allergies?

'Yeah, two,' he replied, 'country and western.'

I'd never listen to country music for pleasure, but it's fun to play.

I like to listen to Allan Holdsworth, Zappa, etc, stuff some say is difficult to listen to.

It's usually too difficult for me to play.

I've been planning a Henry Cow tribute act for some time, but it'll probably never happen!

Edited by Manwithvan