Why become a member? ×

The passing of a Basschat legend (sad news inside)

ped

My condolences to all who knew him. I didn't know, and might possibly be one of the few who didn't buy or sell anything to him by the sounds of it, but I always remember seeing MB1 on so many posts. It really is like having regulars in the pub, and it's sad to lose one, to not see that face there anymore. RIP MB1.

I’m so sorry to hear this. I have done many deals with Martin over the years and really liked him. We shared a love of cult TV programmes, Status basses and a revolving door of Markbass gear. He really was a true Basschat character and will be missed. RIP Martin and condolences to your family.
MB1 we salute you! 

• Like 3

Isn’t it incredible how many people can feel the good vibes of a single person through our little community. Buying and selling here has always been a pleasure because it takes trust, and more often than not leads to friendship. Martin’s family are truly humbled by the fantastic showing of memories and tributes posted here. What an awesome endorsement of the community and what a tribute to Martin. 

E9BF0358-1246-4424-9028-145B6E1A644C.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, ped said:

We’ll check if a wreath or similar would be ok, great idea Mick. I bet he’d have loved a bass shaped one (graphite reinforced)

Ive been in touch with Martins sister as she rang me as well there are a couple of Bass chat things  she/ mum and H would like can you pm me to kind of help me with it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, witterth said:

Ive been in touch with Martins sister as she rang me as well there are a couple of Bass chat things  she/ mum and H would like can you pm me to kind of help me with it?

Hi there, can you email us at the link at the bottom of the page? Thanks

I just received this message from Debbie (Martin's sister) on fb..

Hi, Just letting you know the funeral arrangements for mb1 (Martin berry) his funeral will take place at the crematorium at Southern cemetery address is Barlow Moor Rd, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester M21 7GZ It will be on Friday the 10th September at 2.30 and then on to Urmston Conservative club 29 Crofts Bank Rd, Urmston, Manchester M41 0TZ We are have a celebration of life rather then a religious gathering, there will be a book passed round for people to jot down a any memorable moments or ways in which he impacted your life so as a family we can see Martin through the eyes of others and learn a whole new part of his life. Those attending the wake are more then welcome to bring their bass/any music and share some music would love that. Xx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I just received this message from Debbie (Martin's sister) on fb..

Hi, Just letting you know the funeral arrangements for mb1 (Martin berry) his funeral will take place at the crematorium at Southern cemetery address is Barlow Moor Rd, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester M21 7GZ It will be on Friday the 10th September at 2.30 and then on to Urmston Conservative club 29 Crofts Bank Rd, Urmston, Manchester M41 0TZ We are have a celebration of life rather then a religious gathering, there will be a book passed round for people to jot down a any memorable moments or ways in which he impacted your life so as a family we can see Martin through the eyes of others and learn a whole new part of his life. Those attending the wake are more then welcome to bring their bass/any music and share some music would love that. Xx

That sounds like a great way to celebrate a life. 

• Like 1

It was a moving service I'm glad I was to be considered  his friend/compadre we go back to '82 together.

I offered M many deps that he was more than capable of doing but no... " integrity over covers  😎  but what's the dough?" he never caved in   ( I can hear him in me head ) as the celebrant said  he was " easily the best Bass Player in the room"

I will miss him deeply. as for flowers and wreaths he probably have said  " flip that

spend the money elsewhere useful " in fact he would have insisted but be touched by the offer nevertheless  it was nice all the same...

MB1 was sent in his next gig  his signature double denim, docs and ACR Tee shirt how Manc is that? good journey M  see ya in awhile our kid... 

god Im gonna miss him so much  :(  so sad.....

He wouldn't have said " Flip" btw  ........

Edited by witterth
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, witterth said:

It was a moving service I'm glad I was to be considered  his friend/compadre we go back to '82 together. I offered M many deps that he was more than capable of doing but no... " integrity over covers  😎  but whats the dough?" he never caved in   ( I can hear him in me head )as the celebrant said  he was " easily the best Bass Player in the room"

I will miss him deeply. as for flowers and wreaths he probably have said  " flip that spend the money elsewhere" in fact he would have insisted but be touched by the offer nevertheless  it was nice all the same...

MB1 was sent in his next gig  his signature double denim docs and ACR Tee shirt

Was talking to him in my head yesterday. Gutted I’ll never get a “😎” text again…

Thanks for the update - hope you’re keeping well x

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, witterth said:

It was a moving service I'm glad I was to be considered  his friend/compadre we go back to '82 together.

I offered M many deps that he was more than capable of doing but no... " integrity over covers  😎  but what's the dough?" he never caved in   ( I can hear him in me head ) as the celebrant said  he was " easily the best Bass Player in the room"

I will miss him deeply. as for flowers and wreaths he probably have said  " flip that

spend the money elsewhere useful " in fact he would have insisted but be touched by the offer nevertheless  it was nice all the same...

MB1 was sent in his next gig  his signature double denim, docs and ACR Tee shirt how Manc is that? good journey M  see ya in awhile our kid... 

He wouldn't have said " Flip" btw  ........

That is priceless and so perfect. A sad day, but sounds like it was a good send off. He will be missed on BC for those who interacted with him or even just read his posts, he was part of what made BC a good place to be. RIP, MB1.

• Like 1