Why become a member? ×

The passing of a Basschat legend (sad news inside)

ped

I can only echo what’s been said here - met up with Martin on several occasions wheeling and dealing, his description of a TM Stevens Warwick he’d owned had me in tears.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.  

Rest in peace my friend.

• Like 1

Martin was an excellent chap - we'd met on a good number of occasions either at a dodgy car park or him driving the long road down from Manc Country to pick up some form of disgustingly heavy cab he'd buy from me! He was the true embodiment of Basschat on every level and will be missed by many for a long time to come.

The halls of BassChat will forever echo quieter without MB1. 

• Like 2

Just sat messaging @bagsieblue welling up,  some amazing stories.

“Kermit” the bright metallic green Ford Ka, covered in bird poop.

And the subsequent revolving door of Mini’s - had nowt but trouble with them, but kept on buying them! Nearly bought mine actually 😂

Our last deal was a few months ago - he came to my rehearsal space, the sat nav took him to a separate car park…he was rarely late.

Phone rings…

”Andy. Martin…er…anybody home?”

He really was a bloody great bloke.

The world is going to be a bit less fun.

Mrs T has just relayed a story - he was finishing his shift one evening and popped by Iris’ ward - “hiya Mrs T, do you need anything from the shop before I get off” - just a brilliant person. He didn’t have to do that.

Humpf. Really sad.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 8
  • Sad 3

Jeez what a stinky poo week. Found out yesterday our keyboard player passed on Monday. Known and played with him for over 50 years and now Martin.

Done a good few deals, both ways, and what a character. Always got a text on NYE with a good dose of his humour about last/next year.

I think it's going to be a very alcohol weekend and it better not come in threes.

• Like 1