Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton new range basses - Marquess

Al Krow

• 35" scale
  • improved (silent according to the review) 2 band preamp
  • 24 frets
  • laminated 5 piece neck
  • head turning design!

Here's a review of the 5 string from their new Marquess model.

HB are clearly heading further up-market with their basses and methinks they are going to continue winning new converts as they do so.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Al Krow changed the title to Harley Benton new range basses - Marquess
36 minutes ago, baa said:

I inmediately got a feeling of Marleaux basses.

Both name and looks. 

ccus_gd_143.jpg

Edited to say that I really like the looks of Marleaux basses.

Ah yes - that explains why the Marquess is such a good looker. I'm guessing that HB are actually paying tribute / acknowledging the Marleaux design heritage of their bass by using the same syllabic prefix to the name i.e. Mar-quess vs Mar-leaux? Or am I over thinking this? 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes - that explains why the Marquess is such a good looker. I'm guessing that HB are actually paying tribute / acknowledging the Marleaux design heritage of their bass by using the same syllabic prefix to the name i.e. Mar-quess vs Mar-leaux? Or am I over thinking this? 😁

I'm thinking the exact same thing, so then there's two of us! 🤣

Well I've been sorely tempted to dip my toe and try out a HB for a while, as they seem to get consistent reviews as being fantastic value for money e.g. Harley Benton Enhanced MP-5EB which costs a fraction of a Sandberg VM5 and is one of the few other basses with a reverse-P set up on a 5 string bass.

Weight has been the key deal breaker for me - the HB basses are on the heavy side (e.g. the 5EB in the clip is around 11lbs!) although I have managed to get hold of a decent wide strap this year which has made my heavier basses much more comfortable to play for longer periods but, personally, I'd still prefer basses ideally no heavier than 10 lbs.

Thomann are pretty reluctant to confirm the weight of their basses for some reason - I did think about messaging them today, but rather than hang around and get another "sorry we can't confirm that for you" response, I thought it might be time to come off the fence and find out for myself! They had a B stock Marquess available for £233 (including VAT and shipping) and a 30 day return policy. I've spent that much (and more) on a single effects pedal but also on a used Yamaha BB 425, which is actually quite a high bar as basses go.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks to allow time for delivery and when I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well I've been sorely tempted to dip my toe and try out a HB for a while, as they seem to get consistent reviews as being fantastic value for money e.g. Harley Benton Enhanced MP-5EB which costs a fraction of a Sandberg VM5 and is one of the few other basses with a reverse-P set up on a 5 string bass.

Weight has been the key deal breaker for me - the HB basses are on the heavy side (e.g. the 5EB in the clip is around 11lbs!) although I have managed to get hold of a decent wide strap this year which has made my heavier basses much more comfortable to play for longer periods but, personally, I'd still prefer basses ideally no heavier than 10 lbs.

Thomann are pretty reluctant to confirm the weight of their basses for some reason - I did think about messaging them today, but rather than hang around and get another "sorry we can't confirm that for you" response, I thought it might be time to come off the fence and find out for myself! They had a B stock Marquess available for £233 (including VAT and shipping) and a 30 day return policy. I've spent that much (and more) on a single effects pedal but also on a used Yamaha BB 425, which is actually quite a high bar as basses go.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks to allow time for delivery and when I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

That seems like a hell of a bargain at that price. I can't see how you could go wrong. I've had a fair bit of HB stuff now, and I'm always surprised at how good it is. In fact, it's now my go to brand for most things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That seems like a hell of a bargain at that price. I can't see how you could go wrong. I've had a fair bit of HB stuff now, and I'm always surprised at how good it is. In fact, it's now my go to brand for most things. 

Cheers buddy. Put them together with our Bugera Veyron 1001M amps and you've got the makings of an awesome budget rig!

... other than the fact that I love a quality cab and that does seem to be one area where noticeably premium quality still comes with a premium price tag!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers buddy. Put them together with our Bugera Veyron 1001M amps and you've got the makings of an awesome budget rig!

... other than the fact that I love a quality cab and that does seem to be one area where noticeably premium quality still comes with a premium price tag!

I'm still seriously tempted to try one of these when they come back in stock. A lightweight (16kg) 2x10 for under 120 quid. Ridiculous!

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_solidbass_210t.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ABG.EUR

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisLovatt said:

I'm after a 35" scale 5 string, and this looks really nice. Torn between this and the Marcus Miller M2

Ooof I can see that's a tough choice! They're both 24 frets with twin soap bar pups; MM humbuckers in the case of the M2, which I suspect will edge it.

The M2 would be the 'safer' choice: more trad design, with passive / active option which is always a nice to have in case the battery dies mid gig, and a 3 band rather than the 2 band EQ in the HB, and it's only £30 more. 

I really like the quirky design and flame-maple top of the HB and the additional stability/rigidity and often attractive look of a laminate neck are wish-list items for me too. 

1 hour ago, owen said:

I admire someone who will take a hit for the team :)

It often goes with the territory of starting a thread and being taken in by your own "patter". And finding something at B-stock prices can take a lot of the pain away 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

First new HB I've not bought.  Not because it's comparatively pricey for the range, nor because of the look.

It's just coincided with a deflation of my GAS.

Never say never of course.

Being GAS free is a good thing! Wish my deflationary periods lasted more than a few weeks - hehe!

I know you're a massive HB fan (and perhaps even the leading exponent of HB basses on BC?), so probably best to ignore Gregor's comment in his YT review at 1.24 where he says "HB usually are good but not that good, it also doesn't feel like a typical HB: the build quality is on a different level here..."

No @Al Krowthere are others here far more HB savvy than me!

However, I will say I don't mind those kind of comments as he's really just trying to describe a step up in quality. If you think the range is poor then he's saying these are good. If you think the rest are great he's saying these are excellent. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I like that a lot. Very pretty in blue:

16318918_800.jpg

Don't need one though, do I?

...do I?

I'm kinda gutted that the PJ set up is not also available as an option on the 5'er.

And if they had a reverse-P with J or MM set up as they do on the MP-5EB that would have been perfect! 

Please define "need"? 😁