Why become a member? ×

QUEEN / John Deacon - Another One Bites The Dust / ISOLATED BASS

Bart Funk Bass

Incredible how unremarkable it is in isolation. Some of it is even slightly scruffy- the first prechorus for example but…. The other version with the bass and drums is a different story, for some reason it’s a powerhouse, even though you can hear JD frequently rushing onto beat 2  compared to the drums. Music’s a funny old thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Incredible how unremarkable it is in isolation. Some of it is even slightly scruffy- the first prechorus for example but…. The other version with the bass and drums is a different story, for some reason it’s a powerhouse, even though you can hear JD frequently rushing onto beat 2  compared to the drums. Music’s a funny old thing.

I thought the same. It sounds crap.

Then again, that's often the case with bass in isolation. For me, it just doesn't work as a solo instrument. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

I was listening to bicycle race earlier. I would like to hear the isolated track of that.

Bicycle race is on YouTube and it is thoroughly mental. I was actually laughing listening to it because it is such a crazy and incredible bassline

• Thanks 1

I love isolated bass tracks. After all it's a bass line and in most cases it proves it doesn't need to be complicated or have copious amount of pedals used. 

Surely there are lots of amateiur players around who would not be happy recording these "sloppy" tracks, but what's the point if the final product matters.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 17:20, Rich said:

Bonkers. :crazy:

Absolutely brilliant! Melodic, percussive a really inventive line and not what most rock players at the time were doing. I still maintain JD is fairly underrated. I've had to play queens songs a few time in shows (we will rock you etc) and his lines are always a beautiful challenge 😁

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 03:32, Judo Chop said:

Is he slapping/popping at the end there or just plucking really hard?

I'd say he's just playing really hard, it sounds a lot like popping.

I love how it's heavily compressed,and keeping those pops under control, you don't  notice it in the track😍

Edited by lee650

On 20/08/2021 at 07:25, scalpy said:

Maybe they didn't record with click tracks in those days?

2 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Maybe they didn't record with click tracks in those days?

True, but he’s still ahead of his drummer in places. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but if he’d have been playing for the MD I had this week he’d have got the stink stare (having had it myself for similar misdemeanours! 🤦😉🤟)

8 minutes ago, scalpy said:

True, but he’s still ahead of his drummer in places. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but if he’d have been playing for the MD I had this week he’d have got the stink stare (having had it myself for similar misdemeanours! 🤦😉🤟)

I agree with you and maybe that's the same reason I couldn't play in a band because I'm a human being not a metronome. Next time I enter composition challenge on BC I'll post the bass track separately to get less brownie points.

In my teens and early 20s all I needed was long hair, loud amp, cool bass and being able to play galloping finger style and I was in.

Unless a pub punter is one of us, general public goes to watch live band to have fun.

I went to see Testament 3 years ago or so, the bass wasn't very impressive, he had technical issues and made it so obvious. Did anyone else noticed, maybe...but maybe 99% of the audience was head banging and moshing.