Why become a member? ×

KISS kick Dave Lee Roth off the farewell tour

peteb

48 minutes ago, Nibody said:

On a side note I cant stand Kiss (sorry Kiss fans) and Gene Simmonds in particular - he grates against my nerves like a titanium cheesegrater. Its all in search of publicity. Nothing more.  I remeber seeing Carol Kay trying to teach him how to play bass in a video. It was painful.

Yeh, but he was great in the movie Runaway wasn't he :D

On 20/08/2021 at 19:43, peteb said:

Apparently they were suggestions, but Templeman changed his mind once he started working with Roth in the studio. Pretty typical record company move, find a hot new band, then start mucking about with what made them so great in the first place! Usually they end up being content with sacking the drummer and replacing him with a guy who has been around the scene for a while, but that wasn't really an option seeing as the drummer was Eddie's brother! 

If they had gone with Hagar when they first got a deal, they would have made a couple of decent albums before Sammy went back to his solo career, Eddie would have ended up playing for Ozzy and Mike would have had a career in someone like the Doobie Brothers or whoever. You probably would never had heard of AVH ever again, but who knows what Roth would have done - I certainly wouldn't bet against him having become a star one way or another... 

I love this! A perfect "What if" story 😂

On 24/08/2021 at 11:56, ubit said:

They have a cheek chucking a legend like Diamond Dave off the tour when the last time I saw Kiss they had an effin' painter supporting them!

Lol, it'll be a puppet show next!! 😂

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ezbass said:

😱 Oh God! I’d forgotten about that. A travesty against the acting profession.

😂😂 but he was sufficiently "cheesy sinister" which was a staple of 80's B movie baddies. Id read that Gene was so busy chasing an acting career at the time, he had very little to do with the writing/playing on the "Animalize" album (or was it Asylum, cue Cetera) making it pretty much a Paul Stanley record 

I know Paul Stanly isn't the singer he used to be, but at least he was an incredible singer (unlike Mr Roth, whom I also love) but Kiss are still getting out there and putting on a fantastic show. I believe a lot of vids were going about of Paul when he was poorly and looked/sounded awful.  You've got to wonder whether sometimes the ethos of "The show must go on" is the right thing to do.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Id read that Gene was so busy chasing an acting career at the time, he had very little to do with the writing/playing on the "Animalize" album (or was it Asylum, cue Cetera) making it pretty much a Paul Stanley record 

I know Paul Stanley isn't the singer he used to be, but at least he was an incredible singer (unlike Mr Roth, whom I also love) but Kiss are still getting out there and putting on a fantastic show. I believe a lot of vids were going about of Paul when he was poorly and looked/sounded awful.  You've got to wonder whether sometimes the ethos of "The show must go on" is the right thing to do.

Yep, apart from on his own songs (where he did play bass), it was Paul Stanley, Bruce Kulick or Jean Beauvoir who played bass on the other tracks on those albums.

I completely understand the reasoning behind using occasional vocal help on songs you sang high years ago, in order to see out the tour in style, giving the fans the show they deserve. Much rather that than a non-singer (Roth, Vince Neil etc) croaking his way through a set and leaving fans with a sour taste and sad memories.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I know Paul Stanly isn't the singer he used to be, but at least he was an incredible singer

Paul has indeed got a voice in him. Not a lot of folk know about his run in the Phantom of the Opera

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

Paul has indeed got a voice in him. Not a lot of folk know about his run in the Phantom of the Opera

I actually saw him in Phantom at the Pantages Theatre in Toronto. He was excellent and received rave reviews from attendees and critics alike. He was no slouch as a vocalist but has suffered in recent years, and freely admits it...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cetera said:

I completely understand the reasoning behind using occasional vocal help on songs you sang high years ago, in order to see out the tour in style, giving the fans the show they deserve. Much rather that than a non-singer (Roth, Vince Neil etc) croaking his way through a set and leaving fans with a sour taste and sad memories.

Pop audiences have been getting ripped off for years with artists miming. I doubt rock audiences would be too perturbed if a rock singer got a little help through technology. Further to my earlier post about Iain Anderson. He had videos of his younger self hitting the higher notes and also had backing singers who would hit the higher notes. We didn't feel short changed. I mean we know the guy is very old to be performing. Same as DLR. I was/am the singer in my band and we started tuning slightly lower to help me with my voice. No one can sing at 50-60 the same way they could at 19-25.

DLR is a legend and to kick him off a tour because he isn't hitting the notes and may affect ticket sales is rubbish. People will still buy the tickets to see Kiss and some will also buy tickets because DLR is playing. He could certainly do with some help with his voice but there are ways around it. You don't kick someone off a tour because they are not good. You are the headline. It makes you look better. As I said we saw Kiss a couple of years back and they had a painter supporting them. Yes he was good but a painter? We kept waiting for him to finish and some band to come on but no, that was the support.

14 minutes ago, steantval said:

Totally disagree, listen to Paul Rogers or Tom Jones, just to name a couple.

I wouldn't say that I totally disagree (far from it), but Paul Rogers and Tom Jones are certainly examples of those whose voice has not been seriously affected by age! 

Funnily enough, Sammy Hagar is another example of a LV who can still cut it in his 70s, which is remarkable given his vocal style! 

Edited by peteb

26 minutes ago, peteb said:

Funnily enough, Sammy Hagar is another example of a LV who can still cut it in his 70s, which is remarkable given his vocal style! 

Sammy Hagar is a freak of nature. The range he still has is incredible but very few people can still sing the way they could when they we're young

• Like 1