Why become a member? ×

KISS kick Dave Lee Roth off the farewell tour

peteb

It seems that KISS has dropped Dave Lee Roth as the support act for their latest farewell tour.

Gene Simmons said that in his prime DLR was the greatest ever rock frontman, but can’t cut it anymore “I prefer to remember Elvis Presley in his prime. Sneering lips, back in Memphis, you know, doing all that. I don’t want to think of bloated naked Elvis on the bathroom floor.”

The thing is, as a massive DLR fan, I have to admit that old Gene has a point. On the other hand, have you seen Paul Stanley or heard him try to sing recently? It all seems a bit rich coming from an old, bloated Gene Simmons saying this about Dave on the tenth KISS "this is really the last one" farewell tour. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gjones said:

I saw David Lee Roth on Joe Rogan's show. He sounded a bid weird. I think he's lost his marbles.

He never had any to lose! The only member of that band with any grip on reality was Michael Anthony!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, peteb said:

It seems that KISS has dropped Dave Lee Roth as the support act for their latest farewell tour.

Gene Simmons said that in his prime DLR was the greatest ever rock frontman, but can’t cut it anymore “I prefer to remember Elvis Presley in his prime. Sneering lips, back in Memphis, you know, doing all that. I don’t want to think of bloated naked Elvis on the bathroom floor.”

The thing is, as a massive DLR fan, I have to admit that old Gene has a point. On the other hand, have you seen Paul Stanley or heard him try to sing recently? It all seems a bit rich coming from an old, bloated Gene Simmons saying this about Dave on the tenth KISS "this is really the last one" farewell tour. 

Can't argue with any of that really. Love abit of Diamond Dave but there really did come a day when youth would pass away 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, peteb said:

Kettle, meet pot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

Can't argue with any of that really. Love abit of Diamond Dave but there really did come a day when youth would pass away 😉

Gawd, Dave looks old these days (supposedly he's only 66)

On the plus side, I still have somewhere a copy of the massive black and white poster that came in the Women and Children First album which used to be right above my bed. Boyfriends of the 1990s wishing to have relations with a younger Ms. DawnPatroller were forced to do so under Diamond Dave's watchful eye, right underneath the lovely image of him handcuffed to a fence wearing nothing but a pair of leather trousers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I know what you're driving at, but as a die hard KISS fan of many decades, I have a rather blinkered view of Stanley's shortcomings. Vocals aside, he's match fit (ish) and they all put in solid graft. At their age, putting on that show is no easy thing. In fact, not an easy thing at a substantially younger than they now are. DLR on the other hand, fails on all counts. YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I know what you're driving at, but as a die hard KISS fan of many decades, I have a rather blinkered view of Stanley's shortcomings. Vocals aside, he's match fit (ish) and they all put in solid graft. At their age, putting on that show is no easy thing. In fact, not an easy thing at a substantially younger than they now are. DLR on the other hand, fails on all counts. YMMV.

As a die hard Roth era VH fan, DLR has never been much kop live, but those albums.....superior to every rock band of that late 70's early 80's period.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Dunno, last clip I saw of PS was an old man in spandex with two hip replacements, hobbling around on platform shoes and not hitting a note! At least Dave has finally let go of trying to look like he did 30 years ago and reinvented his image to something with a little more dignity. His voice has completely gone though and he can't compensate with his moves anymore. 

Time for both of them to throw in the towel.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

As a die hard Roth era VH fan, DLR has never been much kop live, but those albums.....superior to every rock band of that late 70's early 80's period.

Me too. No disputing the albums he made with VH are class. I thought he was decent enough live back in the day, but we’re talking about now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

As a die hard Roth era VH fan, DLR has never been much kop live

He was great on the very early tours (including the pre-record deal shows if you've seen any of those on YouTube), awful on the later VH tours and pretty decent on the early solo tours. 

It's never just been about the voice with Dave... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Me too. No disputing the albums he made with VH are class. I thought he was decent enough live back in the day, but we’re talking about now.

I thought some of the last album they made had that magic but he's not been good live for a long time. Still love him tho

By the way, when Eddie died there was a load of VH live stuff from early shows (just before the first album being released) that was put out on YT, etc. Well worth seeking out - brilliant, better than any of the tours when they had hit the bigtime. 

I was lucky enough to see them supporting Sabbath on the first tour. No show, front of the stage, minimal lights - still one of the best few live performances I have ever seen and far superior to when I saw them later.  

• Like 2

I love VH's first 4....Fair Warning is such an underrated classic.

I saw a clip the other day of Diamond Dave literally, obliterating 'Dance The Night Away'. It was painful. I know singers can have off nights, but my word......!

Sad to see. Never the greatest singer (but what a frontman), I wish I could un-see it!

I read a while back how producer Ted Templeman had wanted the band to dump Dave from the off. He suggested Sammy Hagar.....imagine how history would have changed? Sammy is fine, but DLR is such a part of those first 4.

7 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I love VH's first 4....Fair Warning is such an underrated classic.

I saw a clip the other day of Diamond Dave literally, obliterating 'Dance The Night Away'. It was painful. I know singers can have off nights, but my word......!

Sad to see. Never the greatest singer (but what a frontman), I wish I could un-see it!

I read a while back how producer Ted Templeman had wanted the band to dump Dave from the off. He suggested Sammy Hagar.....imagine how history would have changed? Sammy is fine, but DLR is such a part of those first 4.

Also drove the business, image etc