Why become a member? ×

SVT classic getting too much

Pow_22

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.  As mentioned i really enjoyed the Mesa BB750 last time i owned one and seem to get on well with Mesa's Simulstate amps.  To this end ive managed to snag what i think is quite a bargain on a used M-Pulse 360!  Will feedback on how i get on with it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

I was tempted by that myself.  

The one on ebay? Seems pretty well priced to me at £350? If it sounds half as good as the BB750 did then ill be happy. Just need to flog the SVT now!

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.  As mentioned i really enjoyed the Mesa BB750 last time i owned one and seem to get on well with Mesa's Simulstate amps.  To this end ive managed to snag what i think is quite a bargain on a used M-Pulse 360!  Will feedback on how i get on with it

I had a M-Pulse 360 for a good while - great amp, never wanted for power with it, either...it outstayed a lot of other amps (I went through most of the Class D amps of the time), and IIRC (it's all a bit hazy), I only sold it for the Walkabout...

• Like 1

So it arrived!  Sounds glorious, not SVT glorious but glorious nonetheless.  Much more carryable then the SVT. Left the semi para EQ off for now as ill be knob twiddling for ages. Baptism of fire for this gal as we are playing a festival Monday! Best get to know each other pretty quick!

C7FE37B0-3350-42E0-9C10-62200EA486C9.jpeg

Well, some feedback on the mesa - its awesome!  Arrived friday and had a baptism of fire yesterday at a local festival Glaston-bury where all the pubs in Bury town centre have a rolling roster of bands.  We were told last week a bass cab would be supplied but i needed to bring a head as such i thought best leaving the SVT at home, probability suggested it would be an 8ohm cab.  Got to the venue yesterday and my heart sank a little, the cab was an old Ashdown MAG 2x10 lay on its side for vertical speakers - i do love ashdown heads but never got on with their cabs.  To add further frustration teh sound guy DI'd our keys, mic'd the kit and the two other guitars and was going ''to rely on brute strength'' for the bass - what a sound!  It obviously sounded bass heavy on stage but there was a huge rumbly growl to the sound without ever being uncontrollable or boomy.  A real FAT gutsy growl with my flats loaded P bass.  Got huge compliments from punters and seeing videos back the sound out front was great (if not a little keys heavy).  Miles lighter than an SVT without being class D, great valvey growl and plenty of headroom and volume to spare.  Im definitely in love!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I'm the other way round, love Ashdown cabs but don't get on with their heads. Marmite is a fair reflection.

I agree with both of you! I don't like their cabs or heads! 😄

Though I am a massive fan of the B-Social... I have two that get used for hours everyday.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Well, some feedback on the mesa - its awesome!  Arrived friday and had a baptism of fire yesterday at a local festival Glaston-bury where all the pubs in Bury town centre have a rolling roster of bands.  We were told last week a bass cab would be supplied but i needed to bring a head as such i thought best leaving the SVT at home, probability suggested it would be an 8ohm cab.  Got to the venue yesterday and my heart sank a little, the cab was an old Ashdown MAG 2x10 lay on its side for vertical speakers - i do love ashdown heads but never got on with their cabs.  To add further frustration teh sound guy DI'd our keys, mic'd the kit and the two other guitars and was going ''to rely on brute strength'' for the bass - what a sound!  It obviously sounded bass heavy on stage but there was a huge rumbly growl to the sound without ever being uncontrollable or boomy.  A real FAT gutsy growl with my flats loaded P bass.  Got huge compliments from punters and seeing videos back the sound out front was great (if not a little keys heavy).  Miles lighter than an SVT without being class D, great valvey growl and plenty of headroom and volume to spare.  Im definitely in love!

Absolutely awesome amps. No surprise you're in love.

2 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

To add further frustration teh sound guy DI'd our keys, mic'd the kit and the two other guitars and was going ''to rely on brute strength'' for the bass

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Nice one, I’ve done a few gigs where the sound engineer has worked with the same theory, always seemed a bit odd but if it works it works. Sounds like the Mesa was a worthy purchase.

And every day I read posts saying 'big amps are a thing of the past, everyone DI's bass these days'.