Why become a member? ×

SVT classic getting too much

Pow_22

Ive pretty much always played an SVT head. Been through a few cabs from the 410hlf to my current 212AV and always loved that guttsy low mid thump with a hint of growl. However, as the gigs are now starting to come in i find myself once again hating the weight! I think it might finally be time to downsize.  Ive never gotten on with class D - to use a well coined Basschat phrase, to me they lack heft. The best non SVT heads ive played were the Mesa BB750 or the older version on the SVT III non pro which are now seemingly rare. Barring in mind the slow market id need to shift the SVT first and would expect maybe £800-£900, possibly enough for a mesa BB750 and certainly more than enough for an SVT III non-pro but was wondering if theres anything else out there similar- valve pre perhaps with a solid state/fet power amp. Suitably old school and with a low mid growl.  I play mainly with flats loaded P’s and J’s

The Mesa BB 750 is my 'big' amp of choice and I generally use that over a Trace Elliot V6 or EBS Fafner. However, once you put the amp in a rack case (in particular the Mesa branded wooden case which weighs a lot) you are not really saving that much weight over an all valve amp. It is a bit lighter, but it is still a lump to move around. 

The Mesa Walkabout however is much lighter, has a more flexible EQ than the Big Block and can deliver a great tone. The Walkabout has been my main 'day to day' rehearsal or gigging amp for the last decade. It is 'only' 300 watts but through a 4 ohm 2x12 it should have plenty enough headroom for gigging. 

• Like 1

In my old band I did a lot of gigs with shared/provided rigs. The two that made me smile the most were Ampeg SVT and Ashdown ABM.

Check out the ABM600, it’s an amazing amp, loud, versatile, at 13kg easily carried, and of course you benefit from Ashdowns fantastic customer service in the unlikely event of any issues.

• Like 1

Just now, Lozz196 said:

In my old band I did a lot of gigs with shared/provided rigs. The two that made me smile the most were Ampeg SVT and Ashdown ABM.

Check out the ABM600, it’s an amazing amp, loud, versatile, at 13kg easily carried, and of course you benefit from Ashdowns fantastic customer service in the unlikely event of any issues.

Snap. Both Lozz and I posted at the same time. 

The best valve sound without the valve out section imo is the gallien krueger fusion 550 (the big 3u amp, not the class d ones). Lovely clean sound and growly distorted sound. Big eq section, and easy to carry. It also auto saves your channel settings.

Saying that, I had a svt7 and it sounded nothing like an svt to me. Then I got chance this week to play through a pf800 and svt cab, and it sounded wonderful - very ampeg like.

Personally I would suggest the ABM600 or maybe the Orange Heads as alternative 

I had the SVT classic and 610 cab but don’t miss them and use the RM800 Ashdown head and Orange Little Bass Thing 

Both very powerful and light heads that sound as good as the old SVT in my opinion 

There's an SVT 4 ini the For Sale section. Though to be fair, it doesn't look much lighter than an all valve SVT. :D 

EBS Fafner?

EBS HD350?

EBS TD650?

Handbox R400?

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

Why not go for an SVT IIP preamp or the SVP Pro and a light weight power amp the Sumo is tiny and kicks out 600 watts. 
the Ampeg preamps can still be picked up at reasonable prices. 

I did this, albeit with a heavier QSC PLX1202. Delivers a taste of the Ampeg sound with buckets of power (1200w into 4 Ohms Bridged Mono)

Worked a treat, even with smaller cabs at smaller gigs- you just turn it down!

Cheers for all the answers so far, certainly plenty of food for thought.  I did have an old UK made ABM 300 head for a while, i did like the sound (i like most ashdown heads to be fair, just never got on with their cabs).  I see theres a bargain Spyder head on the classifieds too that is tempting.  Orange bass terror - used the Mk I once and really liked it but bought another years after selling it and through an orange 1x15 i just didnt get any thump out of it for some reason

12 hours ago, 2elliot said:

The latest Ashdown ABM 600 is a significant move forward when compared to the previous models.  I'd definitely try a MK IV first before making a decision.  

This...........

A fantastically versatile head and a bargain if you grab a used one. You need to spend some time with one to get the best out of it. The scoop button effect needs to be tamed in a live situation though - either disengage the scoop button and get all your eq via the knobs or use the scoop and whack a load of mids back in to it. 

One of the few amps I've had, sold and would happily buy again.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

As an Ampeg player and ex SVT Classic owner, +1 on the Bugera Veyron BV1001t. It is the perfect solution to your weight issues. 3 x preamp valves, 600w, lots of tone and for me specifically, it’s an Ampeg in all but name! 

I really must get a job for Bugera! Lol 😂 

Andy

Edited by andy67