Why become a member? ×

Ticket sale rant

SH73

I finally have a chance to or wanting to see Anthrax. They play at 02 Academy in Brixton in October 22. BUT, Priority tickets have been on sale since yesterday 10 am until Friday 9 am. Tickweb pre sale starts today at 10 am which leaves me with General sale on Friday at 10 am!

What are the chances of getting a good seated ticket. I am not into moshing anymore, I'd rather watch the show , gear etc.

Is there a way to get decent tickets nowadays without being a VIP or fan club member?

33 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Is there a way to get decent tickets nowadays without being a VIP or fan club member?

I can see the point of offering pre-sale tickets to people who've made the effort to join a fan club/mailing list (or similar), although I'm not a fan of the whole VIP cash-cow (although I'll admit I'm considering it for Pearl Jam in 2022).  I really wanted to see Public Service Broadcasting at the Albert Hall; there was a big mailing about pre-sales, but these were limited to maybe 100 tickets, which sold out in minutes.

In answer to your question, it appears that for biggish artistes gone are the days where you could just buy decent/close to the stage tickets without having to pay a huge premium or be a member of something.  I do miss being able to just swing by the Hammersmith Odeon ticket office, see what was on the board and just see what they had.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I can see the point of offering pre-sale tickets to people who've made the effort to join a fan club/mailing list (or similar), although I'm not a fan of the whole VIP cash-cow (although I'll admit I'm considering it for Pearl Jam in 2022).  I really wanted to see Public Service Broadcasting at the Albert Hall; there was a big mailing about pre-sales, but these were limited to maybe 100 tickets, which sold out in minutes.

In answer to your question, it appears that for biggish artistes gone are the days where you could just buy decent/close to the stage tickets without having to pay a huge premium or be a member of something.  I do miss being able to just swing by the Hammersmith Odeon ticket office, see what was on the board and just see what they had.

I remember turning up outside a stadium in 1991 and buying a ticket for Monsters of Rock. Queensryche, Motley Crue, Metallica ( black album) and AC/DC ( Razors Edge). Bought seated ticket but for Metallica and ACDC we ended up in front of the stage. Good old times! No annoying mobile phones to restrict your view.

Edited by SH73
Add on

Many of the online ticket companies have their own pre-sale usually going on the sale the day before.  I often take a look around the ticket sites a few days before to see who is offering pre-sales from their own site.

I really miss the overnight queuing to buy physical tickets for big bands too - I remember queuing overnight a for a few bands at Cardiff in my teens...Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Whitesnake.  The only alternative then was the ticket hotline so you either queued or hoped your call would be answered!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SH73 said:

I finally have a chance to or wanting to see Anthrax. They play at 02 Academy in Brixton in October 22. BUT, Priority tickets have been on sale since yesterday 10 am until Friday 9 am. Tickweb pre sale starts today at 10 am which leaves me with General sale on Friday at 10 am!

What are the chances of getting a good seated ticket. I am not into moshing anymore, I'd rather watch the show , gear etc.

Is there a way to get decent tickets nowadays without being a VIP or fan club member?

No.  Its a complete lottery.  You may get lucky but IME by the time you get to general sale it's too late.  Find a friend with O2 priority.

• Sad 1

This passes me off and it's the main reason I don't bother going to see big bands anymore. Usually the original ticket seller is sold out as soon as it goes on sale but then look on ticket ticketmaster and they've got hundreds of tickets  as long as you don't mind paying at least double the face value of the ticket.

Before the world ended I tied getting tickets for Faith No More at Brixton. Sold out before they went on sale and four times face value on ticketmaster. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

This passes me off and it's the main reason I don't bother going to see big bands anymore. Usually the original ticket seller is sold out as soon as it goes on sale but then look on ticket ticketmaster and they've got hundreds of tickets  as long as you don't mind paying at least double the face value of the ticket.

Before the world ended I tied getting tickets for Faith No More at Brixton. Sold out before they went on sale and four times face value on ticketmaster. 

Then when Ticketmaster has sold out, their sister company, 'Get me in', has them for four times what Ticketmaster were selling for. 

Legalised ticket touting. 

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

Then when Ticketmaster has sold out, their sister company, 'Get me in', has them for four times what Ticketmaster were selling for. 

Legalised ticket touting. 

There was a government enquiry in to it a few years ago but it all just went away for reasons entirely unrelated to the Ticketmaster director donating a large amount to the tory party.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I bought a ticket through Planet Rock. viagogo sells them at 2.36 times the price!!!!!

Stay away from Viagogo! I bought tickets for Testament/Death Angel/Exodus just before the pandemic hit us. Viagogo took my money and then emailed me a week later to tell me they didn't have a ticket for me after all. And would I please faff around trying to get a refund off them as it was far too difficult for them to just process it back to me automatically, honest.

Turned out for the best though - all three bands went down heavily with Covid after that tour because they'd come to the UK straight from Italy ...

Glad you have got your Anthrax ticket. I will try and get to two shows, that's a nice long UK tour they're doing.

27 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

Stay away from Viagogo! I bought tickets for Testament/Death Angel/Exodus just before the pandemic hit us. Viagogo took my money and then emailed me a week later to tell me they didn't have a ticket for me after all. And would I please faff around trying to get a refund off them as it was far too difficult for them to just process it back to me automatically, honest.

Turned out for the best though - all three bands went down heavily with Covid after that tour because they'd come to the UK straight from Italy ...

Glad you have got your Anthrax ticket. I will try and get to two shows, that's a nice long UK tour they're doing.

Yep, been a fan since 80s but somewhat never had opportunity to see them, can't wait . The line up seems to have all members minus Dan Spitz.

16 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

There was a government enquiry in to it a few years ago but it all just went away for reasons entirely unrelated to the Ticketmaster director donating a large amount to the tory party.

Mmm, that sounds highly unlikey, the current UK government have always conducted themselves with the utmost decorum and decency in all matters, public and private. History will show them as above reproach. 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, paul_5 said:

the current UK government have always conducted themselves with the utmost decorum and decency in all matters, public and private. History will show them as above reproach. 😂

Can I score an eighth of what you're smoking? 😉