Why become a member? ×

Why????

Nicko

7 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Yeah I get that - isn't this just willy waving though?

Totally, but then again, it's better to be looking at them than looking for them. Since it's combo, it's probably running at 8 ohms and needs an extension cab to bring it down to 4 ohms and extract the full capability out of it. 

I've used an ABM 300 for the last 20 years with a 1x15 and 2x10 and have never needed more than that but, as we all know, not all amps are equal when it comes to projecting their wattage. Some are better at generating heat than sound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Totally, but then again, it's better to be looking at them than looking for them. Since it's combo, it's probably running at 8 ohms and needs an extension cab to bring it down to 4 ohms and extract the full capability out of it. 

I've used an ABM 300 for the last 20 years with a 1x15 and 2x10 and have never needed more than that but, as we all know, not all amps are equal when it comes to projecting their wattage. Some are better at generating heat than sound.

As someone whose weapon of choice is a "500W" 1x10 combo with removable head I can confirm that it's only 500W with the addition of an 8 ohm cab (or popping the head out of the combo and providing your own way to present a 4 ohm impedance).  I've found that 250W 1x10 is enough for the rehearsal room and I only add an additional cab for gigs.

37 minutes ago, neepheid said:

As someone whose weapon of choice is a "500W" 1x10 combo with removable head I can confirm that it's only 500W with the addition of an 8 ohm cab (or popping the head out of the combo and providing your own way to present a 4 ohm impedance).  I've found that 250W 1x10 is enough for the rehearsal room and I only add an additional cab for gigs.

I've played pubs and even small clubs with a 250 Watt head and a 2 x 10 and never had the volume up past half way.  

• Like 1

A quoted number of watts is pretty meaningless without a definition of how the measurement was obtained, for example, 500 watts into 8 ohms (a purely resistive load is typically used for measurement) @ 1 khz over X milliseconds. Most companies measure burst/transient power - what an amplifier will produce on short peaks. That will give an inflated impression of what an amplifier is actually capable of, which is why marketing departments like it..

Continuous power delivery over a wide range of frequencies into a reactive load (such as a loudspeaker) is a completely different ball game.

It's difficult because there are no quick and easy ways to give (or gain) an impression of how much power an amplifier produces and watts have become the shorthand, if you like. The only way to make an informed decision is to try something in the so-called real world, which isn't always possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

It wouldn't be my weapon of choice (the amp, not the small penis) but I kinda understand high power heads.  Its the high power small combo that confuses me.

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

This popped up on a spam email yesterday.  I misread it at first and wondered why anyone would want a 100W 1x15 - too loud for home not enough for most gigs.  Then I read it again.

Bugera 1000 W amp

Why would anyone wanting a smallish combo need a thousand watts?

I take issue with a 100w combo not being gig worthy. Only after I was stunned by one doing the job last year. Definitely loud enough to be too loud in a pub

Bugera '1000w' is old news.

9 minutes ago, Nicko said:

It wouldn't be my weapon of choice (the amp, not the small penis) but I kinda understand high power heads.  Its the high power small combo that confuses me

Nor mine! I would bet a substantial amount of money that my mere 465w Mesa Strategy would absolutely destroy the 2000w Bugera on volume alone.

Wattage is almost like horsepower, it's the HP at the wheel that matters, not the max HP output of the engine. 

Edited by binky_bass

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

There does not appear to be any facility to add an extension cab to these 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I take issue with a 100w combo not being gig worthy. Only after I was stunned by one doing the job last year. Definitely loud enough to be too loud in a pub

My practice/rehearsal amp is a 1x12 Behringer 60 watt combo that cost me 30 quid. My band is a 12-piece including horns and whatnot, and the wee Behr is quite loud enough to keep up with it.

I own a darkglass m900 and recently bought the bugera tube pre amp version. I like the tonal quality of the bugera it warmer and loud enough and has somewhat surprisingly is my goto amp right now. Its 2000w Peak which more like 500w in normal money and that's just fine for pub gigs.  I haven't overstretched it or even got close to limit with it. Having the two covers of anything I need.  Never understood the too loud for home statement, volume like investments go down as well as up.  Right now I practice in a 10 by 8 bedroom office with a 800w darkglass through a Aguilar 2 by 10. The volume knob does the policing.. simples.

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicko said:

This popped up on a spam email yesterday.  I misread it at first and wondered why anyone would want a 100W 1x15 - too loud for home not enough for most gigs.  Then I read it again.

Bugera 1000 W amp

Why would anyone wanting a smallish combo need a thousand watts?

The bass player in my mates covers band has one.

I was sitting outside the bar they were playing in on a recent warm night, with the patio doors open and the bass sounded great. Even from outside. It Easily kept up with the rest of the band, 2 loud guitarists and a drummer. I couldn't believe it when I went in and saw a small combo in the corner.

Although I don't know why I'd be so surprised, as I myself have been using the Bugera Veyron for the past couple of years and the thing sounds like thunder. I can't imagine ever playing anywhere where I would need it above half volume. 

I’m aware that the claimed power output of cheap audio kit is routinely vastly exaggerated, but I’ve always assumed that the quoted output for something like a bass amp would always be true continuous RMS watts, or the manufacturer would lose all credibility. Are there documented examples of name brand bass gear failing to deliver the claimed output when tested?

2 hours ago, nekomatic said:

I’m aware that the claimed power output of cheap audio kit is routinely vastly exaggerated, but I’ve always assumed that the quoted output for something like a bass amp would always be true continuous RMS watts, or the manufacturer would lose all credibility. Are there documented examples of name brand bass gear failing to deliver the claimed output when tested?

Some somewhere rightly pointed out that peak output quotes are like saying a 2cv does 200 mph as long as you drive it off a high enough cliff.    I think its a bit dumb to quote 1000w or 2000w peak, as what they are actually angling for is to buy the matched speaker as well.  Personally i looked for someone who had done their homework, worked out 500w was the sort of real output and the equivalent was enough in the cabinet dept, and bought a '1000w veyron'.  Haven't melted any cabs yet....

The problem (and one that keeps the price down thankfully) is its a bugera/behringer product lineage, which is memory serves is the same mother company that owns the more respected TC electronics as well.  Most people that slag them off for that and yet haven't actually owned one, or gigged one.   I am amazed by what my £300 or so bought me.

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 1

I always think the Veyron heads look fun - it’s like they went for ‘make it look like a Streamliner’ but inadvertently ended up at ‘make it look like a Technics mini hifi component’! 🙂

I ended up playing most of my gigs in 2019 on a 300W@4ohm micro head and any old cab that happened to be at the venue when I got there, so I’m sure the Technics would be loud enough.