Why become a member? ×

Behringer XR18 for IEM mixing?

Crawford13

Has anyone used an XR18 or the like to run their bands IEM mixes, then run the 2 main XLR outs to the main PA? 

Does this work? Or is there any other way to do this? 

Basically I am thinking running 2 kempers, a Helix, Roland SPD, vocal mics and drum mics through the mixer, then send the aux outs to each IEM, and the main outs to the rehearsal studio / venue PA? 

Any help or input would be appreciated. 

Edited by Crawford13

I run an XR18 in the way you’re thinking of and use 4 of the aux outs to run our IEMS with the main outs to our PA. We only use the cheap Gear4music systems for the guitarists and bass and a hard wired Behringer headphone amp for the drummer.

E51F2482-1CE0-4A13-88DB-52D4DF34A97F.thumb.jpeg.9fc562bfb61b890097cd71af352c6cc4.jpegIt works well for us and the ability to have individual mixes is a real plus.
At some point, we will upgrade to some better IEMS like Shure or Sennheiser but you’re talking £££ to kit a band out and the gear4music/takstar is ok for what we need.

• Thanks 1

Check whether the XR18 will allow you to link aux's to create a stereo mix, I have a UI24 as an enclosed IEM set up, we tried running as mono in ear mixes but the clarity was poor, switching to stereo mixes allowed us to place all the different instruments in different places in the stereo spectrum and really improved the sound, of course the trouble is that for each IEM out mix you are using 2 aux sends so even the UI24 only really allows for 4 stereo IEM mixes unless you start routing to use the 2 headphone outs as a 5th stereo aux send!

Either way, it turned out the drummer was deaf in one ear and the rest of the band were too tight to invest in decent IEM set ups so the whole project was an expensive waste of money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah one band I tour a lot with uses one, I think he has it in a rack with a splitter for when there's already foh crew who want to bypass the xr18. But we've used it for foh ourselves at gigs as well as just monitoring and it is great. The app, which I think is either free or about a quid is great ( on android) I think we got a router too to upgrade the wifi signal but still all in, so affordable for what it can do. 

19 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Check whether the XR18 will allow you to link aux's to create a stereo mix, I have a UI24 as an enclosed IEM set up, we tried running as mono in ear mixes but the clarity was poor, switching to stereo mixes allowed us to place all the different instruments in different places in the stereo spectrum and really improved the sound, of course the trouble is that for each IEM out mix you are using 2 aux sends so even the UI24 only really allows for 4 stereo IEM mixes unless you start routing to use the 2 headphone outs as a 5th stereo aux send!

Either way, it turned out the drummer was deaf in one ear and the rest of the band were too tight to invest in decent IEM set ups so the whole project was an expensive waste of money!

Upgrading to a Midas M32C or Behringer XR32 Rack will expand your available outputs to 16 aux channels - 8 stereo pairs - but you'll need to invest in an SD8/SD16 to add additional physical XLR outputs and there is no built-in router...not a bad thing actually!  The plus point of these is that with a single cable you've added 8 or 16 physical inputs and 8 physical outputs patchable from the X32 routing page.  We use an X32 Rack in conjunction with an SD16 upstage for backline and kit mics and the drummers monitor, and an SD8 downstage for vocal mics, downstage monitors and FOH L/R outputs

Edited by DaytonaRik

• 2 years later...
On 17/08/2021 at 23:18, Silky999 said:

I run an XR18 in the way you’re thinking of and use 4 of the aux outs to run our IEMS with the main outs to our PA. We only use the cheap Gear4music systems for the guitarists and bass and a hard wired Behringer headphone amp for the drummer.

E51F2482-1CE0-4A13-88DB-52D4DF34A97F.thumb.jpeg.9fc562bfb61b890097cd71af352c6cc4.jpegIt works well for us and the ability to have individual mixes is a real plus.
At some point, we will upgrade to some better IEMS like Shure or Sennheiser but you’re talking £££ to kit a band out and the gear4music/takstar is ok for what we need

Appreciate this is old topic but about to invest in a xr18 and have the gear4music iems too. Do you need a headphone amp between the aux output on the xr18 and the g4m iem transmitter, or just direct connect it? Thanks 

47 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

No you don't. Direct connect.

Although I'd ditch the g4m unit and use a wired connection so you can hear just how much better a direct connection using a Behringer P2 is compared to those wireless units.

I'd second that. The g4m one isn't very good (in my opinion/experience) and the P1/2 will give you much better results for less cost.

If you don't want to have 2 cables trailing from the guitar and monitor pack, you can get a combined cable (designacable, or Ernie Ball make them) which cleans things up a bit - you can put the pack on your pedalboard.

• Thanks 1

We’re using the xr18 as our main mixer for foh and cable the aux outputs to P2’s for iem’s. A bit messy but no hassles in setting up. I’ve freed up an aux by using the ultranet and personal monitor mixing unit which is an excellent bit of kit as it’s so easy to get the mix right.