Why become a member? ×

Strap lock on upper horn Hofner Verithin Bass

Bungo Mike

Hi everyone. I’ve bought a Hofner Verithin bass and I’m looking to add a strap lock in the upper horn. I have a Jack Casady Bass and I’ve done the same. Has anyone done this to a Hofner and is it gonna be a similar job to what I’ve done with the Casady. I drilled a hole and added the strap lock then turned the bass upside down and poured in wood glue allowing it to dry which appears to have done the trick. Thanks in advance 👍

0A726FC0-9F69-4D4C-A952-FA824638AB85.png

26153322-03A6-4597-A6F6-FC05508C1195.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bungo Mike said:

Hi everyone. I’ve bought a Hofner Verithin bass and I’m looking to add a strap lock in the upper horn...

Good evening, Mike...

No, I wouldn't advise that as an option on a Verithin. I'd suggest the spot I chose for my (vintage...) Hofner, in the heel of the neck ...

rQ7YYS9.jpg

These basses are very much lighter than most, so the strap has less weight on it. If you must have it on the horn, you'll really need to inset a block, as there's not much 'meat' there. I've been playing my Verithin for a couple of decades now, and have not had any issues with straps. All my guitars and basses are fitted with these same straplocks, so I'm very familiar with fitting them.
Nice basses, both. :friends:

(One day I'll have a Casady; one day :i-m_so_happy:...)

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for that. There is already a strap lock on the heel but having it there pushes out the bass as I have a bit of a belly. The Casady sits great after the work. Im just kind of wondering if the wood glue would do the job if I add a large amount. I’d love to know what’s in there

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve always had a soft spot for the verythin but never got around to getting one 🙂

[Pedantry] The modern one is a Verythin, the original vintage is a Verithin. They are of different construction; there are not so many Verithins left, now, as many have been neglected or abused, and not so many were built in the first place. An endangered species, if you will. :( [/Pedantry]

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to put a strap button on the upper horn of my Jack Casady, but I'm not convinced there's enough strength there not to split the side away from the top and bottom. 

If I did I'd try and glue a block inside to screw the button into. 

How long has yours been there and do you gig with it? 

33 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'd like to put a strap button on the upper horn of my Jack Casady, but I'm not convinced there's enough strength there not to split the side away from the top and bottom. 

If I did I'd try and glue a block inside to screw the button into. 

How long has yours been there and do you gig with it? 

Hi. I did mine about 20 months ago and I play in two bands so it’s been used a lot for practice with gigs included. It’s still solid. I drillled a small hole first then turned her upside down and carefully poured wood glue in ensuring that the initial angle would make sure that the glue settled in the correct place. I think the Hofner is a thinner laminate so I may drill a hole and add some epoxy resin, allow it to cure then drill a smaller hole again and add the strap lock 👍

D208F5D4-D092-47C6-B36C-4780940E0FCE.jpeg

145801E1-0C31-4AB9-A878-DD82C54C9C3B.png

CF777A17-C202-4AF0-8237-DF11F8E6B8E5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I had a Verythin when they first came out and have had the long scale Verythin since 2016. It's done numerous UK tours and gone across Europe a couple of times too. I appreciate we're all different but I found it pretty well balanced and had no issue. I don't remember the short scale original being a problem but that could be that I have just conveniently forgotten. Out of interest, why do you want to move the strap button? Is it a comfort thing or are you getting neck dive?

8 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had a Verythin when they first came out and have had the long scale Verythin since 2016. It's done numerous UK tours and gone across Europe a couple of times too. I appreciate we're all different but I found it pretty well balanced and had no issue. I don't remember the short scale original being a problem but that could be that I have just conveniently forgotten. Out of interest, why do you want to move the strap button? Is it a comfort thing or are you getting neck dive?

Hi. Yes it’s a comfort thing. I’ve done it with my Casady and it just sits right 👍

Well guys I’ve done it. Marked and drilled. I glued two speed clips together and made sure that the screw fitted just right. 1. To ensure the screw went in without to much trouble and 2. To ensure it was tight enough. I added double sided tape to the clip and the fed the yellow line through as shown. I pulled on the line so that the clip stuck onto the inside of the laminate. Once this was secure I removed the cord and carefully screwed in the strap lock. The guitar was then turned upside down and I poured in a good amount of Gorilla glue. It’s not upside at an angle that ensures the glue levels itself over the area of the speed clip and will be left overnight to set. Fingers crossed this does the job 🙏😊👍

16FB7FA5-969E-4772-A5D2-3D136B11E4BD.jpeg

54EC2B0B-EADB-493A-8FB0-2BEF2ABF3FEC.jpeg

DEE3DB5C-1128-4EA7-83AB-9AD695BF8AE3.jpeg

ADF59900-92CF-4A9C-A6C8-C0DDFAD1D525.jpeg

754DADB7-3226-40C4-B639-2D9E956184FB.jpeg

FCD8540C-B929-46D5-89FB-EFB177C3D2B9.jpeg

F155740A-FDE7-4D48-95C6-B25531503CF7.jpeg

B2DBE296-5F2C-41B4-A671-081D96C859EE.jpeg

E2D16BD7-7322-4AF4-A591-6C0024C40904.jpeg

63118337-2180-4700-9E96-E1D13CBC3F04.jpeg

A27F56E2-944C-4324-A45A-B9D5FC502CB6.jpeg

FCB4E34A-CEE8-4303-AA98-8033AA67B552.jpeg

FC460EB7-0FAC-40B4-8280-04E26E8677DD.jpeg

91309BEA-7822-434D-865F-2D722EDE3ED1.jpeg

02A7349B-CD4E-43D9-A5B6-611E1EBC4605.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/08/2021 at 21:01, Maude said:

Does that Gorilla glue set hard like a resin then, I always assumed it was like PVA wood glue? 

All this talk of speed clips and a Snap On rachet screwdriver, in the motor trade? 

Well spotted 😂 it does set solid eventually but the quoted 24 hours is more fore straight joints. Letting it set as I need it will probably take 3-4 days as it’s kinda like leaving a bottle opened 👍

6 minutes ago, Bungo Mike said:

... it does set solid eventually but the quoted 24 hours is more fore straight joints...

Gorilla Glue sets in contact with water (water vapour in the air is enough...). It's usual to dampen the area around the glue joint to set it off. Not so easy in the case of your ingenious speed clip venture, but dabbing a damp rag into the inside of the horn would have been my choice, simply to get a little moisture in there.
You may already know (or have found out...) that it's best to squeeze out the air from the glue bottle before putting the cap on; I store mine upside-down to keep the glue inside fresh as long as possible (I use very little, as I do model aircraft, mainly...).
Altogether a fine job; well done. :i-m_so_happy: