Why become a member? ×

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274907004174?hash=item4001bbfd0e:g:ttQAAOSwOTRhGYci

Mesa Boogie M180 Power Amp Vintage 1982 120V US Tube Valve 600W

***THIS IS A USA MODEL 120V, PLEASE DO NOT BID IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO USE A TRANSFORMER WITH IT FOR UK USE. I DO NOT HAVE A TRANSFORMER SO SUGGEST YOU BRING ONE ON COLLECTION IF YOU NEED TO TEST IT.***

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274907004174?hash=item4001bbfd0e:g:ttQAAOSwOTRhGYci

Mesa Boogie M180 Power Amp Vintage 1982 120V US Tube Valve 600W

***THIS IS A USA MODEL 120V, PLEASE DO NOT BID IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO USE A TRANSFORMER WITH IT FOR UK USE. I DO NOT HAVE A TRANSFORMER SO SUGGEST YOU BRING ONE ON COLLECTION IF YOU NEED TO TEST IT.***

And a truck :)

Man, I'd take a punt on that 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Omg, that’s so cool, do you think it would need a lot of work 

My read of this is 'It doesn't work but the only way you're going to find that out is by bringing a US transformer'. I've seen a couple of similar listings over the years and always wondered how the seller found themselves with a 120v amplifier but no transformer? Could work fine (doubt it), could be an easy fix (point to point wiring), could be completely uneconomic to repair. Your guess is as good as mine mate :) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

My read of this is 'It doesn't work but the only way you're going to find that out is by bringing a US transformer'. I've seen a couple of similar listings over the years and always wondered how the seller found themselves with a 120v amplifier but no transformer? Could work fine (doubt it), could be an easy fix (point to point wiring), could be completely uneconomic to repair. Your guess is as good as mine mate :) 

Thanks beedster, it’s the sight of valves that draw me in 😁, but I know your right , I think it’s one for someone who has the time and knowledge to refurbish it, it’s a cool looking thing though 

12 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

At 39 quid, one shouldn't feel too ripped off.

Be interesting to see what it goes for.

The thing about eBay is that once a few folks have placed bids and are starting to believe that they are getting a bargain, the price will go up very quickly and the seller will likely get more for it than had s/he listed it at a reasonable BIN (by reasonable BIN price I mean one at which the unit would have sold fairly quickly given it's condition). It's hard to tell sometimes whether the seller is innocently getting rid of some old and unused gear that's been lying around for years, or is cleverly setting up the sale knowing that there will be a bunfight among the bargain seekers (especially as the price started so low) and that s/he will get a lot more cash for it than is probably warranted (and that there is very low chance that the winner, even if they did bring along a US-UK transformer, would leave without buying it, still believing that the fix might be easy). My guess is the latter, so I'm staying away :)  

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

The thing about eBay is that once a few folks have placed bids and are starting to believe that they are getting a bargain, the price will go up very quickly and the seller will likely get more for it than had s/he listed it at a reasonable BIN (by reasonable BIN price I mean one at which the unit would have sold fairly quickly given it's condition). It's hard to tell sometimes whether the seller is innocently getting rid of some old and unused gear that's been lying around for years, or is cleverly setting up the sale knowing that there will be a bunfight among the bargain seekers (especially as the price started so low) and that s/he will get a lot more cash for it than is probably warranted (and that there is very low chance that the winner, even if they did bring along a US-UK transformer, would leave without buying it, still believing that the fix might be easy). My guess is the latter, so I'm staying away :)  

That's why eBay charge you more for anything but a super low start price auction format - they make more money, in general. It's also the reason the eBay forum here is for 'weird and wonderful' as opposed to 'eBay bargains' because the latter is either too early to tell or extremely unusual, and, by sharing, even less likely. (that's in reply to @gareth's question elsewhere on the forum)

• Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

It's Mesa, it's 80's, it's got tubes, it'll weigh much the same as a truck. Either works for me mate :) 

It's still my favourite amp, I think - and at least it meant the drummer had to help move it after I helped him carry his sodding hardware bag

21 minutes ago, ped said:

It's still my favourite amp, I think - and at least it meant the drummer had to help move it after I helped him carry his sodding hardware bag

Our guitarist tried to pick up my SVT-II. He's shown me far more respect since :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a D-180 for a long time. It was a US spec one and I had to carry a huge yellow building site transformer with me. Real drag. My local incompetent guitar shop told me it was impossible to sort it out for UK voltage. My brother who is an Electrical Engineer just took different taps off the transformer and it was all good.

If I was anywhere near this for pickup I would be monitoring the sale quite closely! Cos I REALLY need a 4U valve power section now that I have gone to active PA cabs for any backline I might never use again.

Edited by owen
  • Haha 1

It went for 127£. Too bad I didn't see it earlier.

Dollars to donuts it has the same power supply arrangements as the D180 which is a simple change around of the tap routing to go from 120 to 240v.

If anyone ever needs the skinny on the conversion get in touch.

200w is generous for it but that's a good thing so you can overdrive it without blowing up your cab and your ears.

Edited by Downunderwonder