Why become a member? ×

Do Musicman offer a 'downsized' (light weight) bodied bass?

warwickhunt

10 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Nice idea (I already have a USA Ray to act as donor) but I'd be paying for a body + routing + finishing and to get a light weight bit of timber I'm guessing I'm paying premium money... which leads me back to the total cost potentially being more than selling my Ray and purchasing one that I know for a fact is the correct weight.  

Saying that, all of that is doable IF I can source a good body blank that I can guarantee is going to give me the gross weight I'm after.

Couldn’t you simply order a custom body from Warmoth or similar - the Stingray body is pretty similar to a P bass body but with different (and less extensive) routing? 

20 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Couldn’t you simply order a custom body from Warmoth or similar - the Stingray body is pretty similar to a P bass body but with different (and less extensive) routing? 

I've been down that road - Warmoth don't do any EBMM compatible products.

Reading between the lines, they think they will get sued.

I think they are being overly cautious as a neck pocket is a neck pocket. As long as the headstock was both different enough and not able to be reshaped to match a Ray I can't see any issues.

Bodies are far easier.

I did get an estimate from Shuker about making a chambered body a few years ago - It was just under £500 including it being painted fully and loading the hardware etc. Other household expenses got in the way and now I've sold the bass.

It wasn't going to be an identical shape, a bit thinner as Ray 5's are massively thick, and the upper horn was going to be a little longer to help the balance even more.

• Like 1

I've asked in the past re. getting a body made to spec with the main criteria being weight reduction.  I was essentially told that suppliers can't guarantee a weight for any timber but can give guidelines for what different timbers usually weigh.  A luthier supplying a light body (chambered or otherwise) would be asking a premium.  There are dirt cheap bodies on ebay etc that give an approximate weight but TBH none would give you a gross weight of near what I want (8lb).  

You'd be back to having spent £500 (or more) for a spare body and that's £500 you could put toward a bass that you could buy off the shelf/used and not lose money on.  

I think I'm going to see if I can find a Sterling shortie in a store to get a feel for weight and size whilst watching for something used in the 'Special' range or possibly a USA Shortie.  

Sweetwater in the States give the weight of every instrument they have in stock. Which for EBMM isn't very many. For what it's worth, here they are, since there's a clear trend:

Special 4H – 8 lbs 13 oz (Eclipse Sparkle)

Special 4HH – 8 lbs 10 oz (Amethyst Sparkle)

Special 4HH – 8 lbs 13 oz (Amethyst Sparkle)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 6 oz (Speed Blue)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 5 oz (Pacific Blue)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 6 oz (Pacific Blue)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 7 oz (Pacific Blue)

Edited by Ricky Rioli
adding link

Just now, Ricky Rioli said:

Sweetwater in the States give the weight of every instrument they have in stock. Which for EBMM isn't very many. For what it's worth, here they are, since there's a clear trend:

Special 4H – 8 lbs 13 oz (Eclipse Sparkle)

Special 4HH – 8 lbs 10 oz (Amethyst Sparkle)

Special 4HH – 8 lbs 13 oz (Amethyst Sparkle)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 6 oz (Speed Blue)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 5 oz (Pacific Blue)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 6 oz (Pacific Blue)

Special 5H – 8 lbs 7 oz (Pacific Blue)

5 strings all lighter than 4 strings... what's all that about?  :/

Sadly at nearly 9lb an average 'Special', just isn't light enough for me.  :(  

Looks like I'll have to look at the short scale versions (USA and Sterling by)!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

5 strings all lighter than 4 strings... what's all that about?  :/

Sadly at nearly 9lb an average 'Special', just isn't light enough for me.  :(  

Looks like I'll have to look at the short scale versions (USA and Sterling by)!  

I wasn't too sure if by light you meant light by modern standards or just light compared with Stringrays of yore :shok:

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I wasn't too sure if by light you meant light by modern standards or just light compared with Stringrays of yore :shok:

I've owned a few USA Sterlings that were just over 9lb and they were OK but I have a shoulder that doesn't like a couple of long sets with a heavy bass (before anyone says; yes I have a wide strap and yes I've adjusted strap lengths etc).  My USA Stingray is 10lb 5oz which is just a no go but I love the sound of a full bore active MM.  In comparison my German 87 Streamer is 8lb 2oz and my European PJ is 7lb 9oz.

• Like 2

My Bongo 5 fretless is a hair under 8lbs - it has the new aluminium hardware, which makes a big difference - my older, fretted one, with the traditional steel hardware, weighs 10lbs. :(

EB have been listening to their customers when it comes to weight, hence the new hardware on most of their basses. The Sterling seems to have been left out in the cold though, since it's the only bass they make now that they don't offer the lightweight hardware on. 

Maybe you could look into the Joe Dart? It's basically a stripped-down Sterling with a plain natural finish, passive electronics and a volume knob, and not much else. Supposed to be in the ~7lbs weight range. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Storky said:

The shortscale stingrays, both the US and S by MM both have reduced body size as well as shorter scale length, so they should be lighter?

That's my hope but no local stock for me to try and 2 stockists who I contacted couldn't help me by weighing them as they have no facility... fair enough.  

55 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

That's my hope but no local stock for me to try and 2 stockists who I contacted couldn't help me by weighing them as they have no facility... fair enough.  

I went through some old adverts for EBMM SS. The first five I came across which gave their weight were 6 lbs 7, 7 lbs 1, 7.5 lbs, 7 lbs 13 and - nonsensically - 7 lbs 14.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I went through some old adverts for EBMM SS. The first five I came across which gave their weight were 6 lbs 7, 7 lbs 1, 7.5 lbs, 7 lbs 13 and - nonsensically - 7 lbs 14.

Were they private ads?  Those are decent weights and I'd not expect them to be that much lighter (7lb would be great); my Dano Longhorn and Nordstrand shorties are silly light.  :)

Like a few BCers with back/shoulder problems I'm bordering on fanatical about weight for a gigging bass (I own heavy basses that I know I'll not sell but they don't get gigged).  I've bought the odd bass or two over the years (cough) and I've been mislead/lied to by possibly 30% - 50% of sellers.  I've stressed that bathroom scale hopping is no good, kitchen digital scales are best etc yet basses have still turned up 1/2lb to 2lb heavier than stated.  I've threatened to return basses if they aren't what they have claimed to be and that weeded out a lot of chancers.  I also completely ignore responses to my questions re. weight that are phrased as "This is the lightest bass I've ever owned/played!", that has no relevance or context and is almost ALWAYS a sales pitch that they can wheedle out of later.  There have been a few good folks who weigh basses and confess straight up that they are surprised.  I envy those who can get a few times a week with a boat anchor around their neck, saying that my main bass when I started gigging was 11lb iirc... maybe that should be a warning for those who don't have issues yet.  LOL  

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Sorry, yes, classified ads on TalkBass. So individually they need taking with a pinch of salt, but I hoped the range would show that looking for a light one would be worth your while

TB ads, that makes sense as I've been using loads of search combinations to try and find all the EBMM SS basses on BC.  :) 

On 18/08/2021 at 05:05, jd56hawk said:

I prefer the newer headstocks.

I want people to know I'm playing a G&L.

As for the Kiloton, I don't really need one, yet I keep checking them out on Reverb. I'm fact, I almost bought a Kiloton Tribute with the Irish Ale finish last year, found one with outstanding woodgrain, but decided against it and bought another L2000 instead. 

Couldn't pass up the one on the left for only $1,350!

(By the way, the blonde one weighs 7.3 lbs.)

FB_IMG_1620428916129.jpg

Yummy. G&L do better finishes than any other mainstream manufacturer.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2021 at 18:55, ped said:

I'm pretty sure you can order them with the normal headstock now, direct or through a dealer. I think. @Ricky Rioli might know?

On 17/08/2021 at 19:09, Ricky Rioli said:

If I had been asked I would have guessed that normal headstocks were restricted to the CLF models

I've just noticed that the necks of the CLF Research L-1000 and L-2000, the two models that have that non-pointy headstock, have a different neck profile as well: 1⅝" nut, as is standard for the L-2000, but a little bit more shallow (0.5mm thinner at 1st fret, 1mm thinner at 12th fret)

So as far as I can see, it's the whole neck, not just the headstock, that is only available on the two CLF Research models.

BTW, the standard neck for the Kiloton is 1½", but 1⅝" and 1¾" can be opted for on the USA built basses (for about £50, iirc)

Edited by Ricky Rioli

On 20/08/2021 at 08:46, warwickhunt said:

TB ads, that makes sense as I've been using loads of search combinations to try and find all the EBMM SS basses on BC.  :) 

FYI my EBMM Starry Night Stingray Short Scale weighs in at 7 lbs 10 oz 

• Like 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

No idea how close the fittings are but if you're after an inexpensive body..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224572339441?hash=item34498df4f1:g:YnIAAOSwvrxhF~ap

It'd need to be a guaranteed light weight body and/or downsized.  There might be zero net gain by fitting my genuine MM parts to that body.

11 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

It'd need to be a guaranteed light weight body and/or downsized.  There might be zero net gain by fitting my genuine MM parts to that body.

B857C7CE-60F6-4AC1-BBA1-48710AFBCC07.thumb.jpeg.3839019e9f68c265b470991b54b5a47d.jpeg

This is my “stingray” comes in at just over 7lbs.

Unfortunately, they’re scarce as can be…took me 20 years to find one.

45 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I was thinking the body could be chambered, etc and the cost off set by selling the other parts.