Why become a member? ×

Heavy gauge strings for Blues band...? Help

bob_atherton

Hi. I am joining a blues band that tunes in  D, not standard tuning.

For many years my strings have been nickle DR Lo Riders 45-105. These are perfect for my style of playing.

For our new band rehearsals I've been tuning down to D and setting up the bass accordingly. This is sort of OK but far from ideal as the strings are a lot more floppy, easy for my left hand but lacking the tone and punch that I'm used to.

I need strings that will give me a pretty similar feel to the DR's when tuned down to D. Any suggestions will be very welcome, Thanks.

I'm also open to thinking about getting some heavy weight flats as I think these might fit the bill as well. Again any ideas..?

Thanks, Bob

23 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

For flats: I had a P bass with La Bella 0760M "Original 1954", 052-110, all strings tuned down one step, which I thought worked well and sounded good.  Pino had this setup on the D'Angelo album Voodoo.

If its good enough for you and Pino, that should work for me. Am I right in thinking these were the strings Jamerson used? If so, what's not to like?!!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. I have a soft spot for flats. I had them on my very first bass, a Shaftesbury Tele copy back in 1970. Short scale so easy on my fingers and good to learn on. 

I don't often have the opportunity to go for flats, but a blues band seems like an opportunity I can't pass up. 

I may yet feel I need to go back to rounds and , to be honest, I didn't know DR did lo-riders in 50-110. Do them come in nickle at that gauge? I hate stainless rounds. 

Anyway will report back once landed and worn in. I think that takes about a year or so...(-: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...