Why become a member? ×

Best sub-£100 looper with some drum tracks

Bass Culture

Dear all,

I've done a quick search and see the multi-fx units often get recommended but I'd like to get recommendations for a dedicated looper pedal that fits this bill if possible as I'll get distracted and demoralised by using a multi-fx unit (I say from experience).  Something that's pretty intuitive and easy to use, and easily available right now would be good too, so I can scratch the itch sooner rather than later.  Do I need to look beyond the cheaper Boss or TC, or Mooer units (Grrove Loop looks like it'll do the job - but I say this as a complete ignoramus!)?  I'm going to be using it simply to try ideas out  at home for starters, maybe with a view to recording chord sequences to try different bass lines and arrangements over in due course, but initially probably just to harmonise 3 or 4 bass parts over a basic groove for my own amusement.

Thanks in advance,

BC

The Boss RC-3 is quite easy to use and has 10 simple drum tracks you can play along to and change the tempo of (I also ended up filling mine with about 50 different drum loops to play along to - can do this by importing .wav files or via aux in and as you can overdub you can still record your Bass over the top) it's small, tough, and they were about £120 new and quite common so you should be able to pick one up second hand for less than £80.  A slight issue is I'm not sure how easy they are to get new now as they've been superseded by the RC-5 which looks better (including longer memory, 50 drum tracks) but is £160 new. 

• Thanks 1

Nux Loop Core Deluxe would fit into your price bracket.

It was #2 on my shortlist, but I decided to fork out the extra and get a Boss RC-5 (which is the refresh of the older RC-3 model as SumOne mentions above).

The other approach is to go with something decent but budget e.g. Lekato Loop Station plus a separate drum source e.g. from Zoom B1-4 - I've found that works really well too, and would come within budget. You obviously then get a ton more on top from your B1-4 as a multifx / headphone amp / tuner etc. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nux Loop Core Deluxe would fit into your price bracket.

It was #2 on my shortlist, but I decided to fork out the extra and get a Boss RC-5 (which is the refresh of the older RC-3 model as SumOne mentions above).

The other approach is to go with something decent but budget e.g. Lekato Loop Station plus a separate drum source e.g. from Zoom B1-4 - I've found that works really well too, and would come within budget. You obviously then get a ton more on top from your B1-4 as a multifx / headphone amp / tuner etc. 

Thanks for the reply, Al.  I'd like to avoid a multi-fx if possible (despite the quite significant advantages you point out) as I find it easier to get my head round dedicated units.  I sold a B3-N not too long ago for this reason - I liked the stuff it did that I wanted it to do but found the multitude of other stuff it did that I wasn't particularly interested in a distraction.  I ended up with 3 separate pedals for octave, chorus and overdrive instead, at significantly greater cost but - for me - far greater user friendliness.  I shall 'research' the Nux Loop Core Deluxe.  There's a non-Deluxe version I found for sale in the marketplace but the ad was placed a while ago and may not have been updated.