Why become a member? ×

End of the road

Telebass

Standing is one of the big no-nos, and has been for a while. I'll not sell the P-bass, ever, even if I don't use it. Bass uke...Hmmm, will check some out.

Much appreciated, everyone. I do hope that they can do something. The main problem is that other surgeries have removed the curve in my lumbar spine, which means I'm falling forward all the time. As there's not much left of the lower back muscles after 5 dissections, it's very difficult and painful to stay upright, despite lots of core work. One of the struts, as it were, is simply not there. If they can bang some titanium cages into the gaps where discs once were, well and good, they might be able to restore some of the curve. But this means breaking apart a fusion that melds L2 to L5. It's a big, delicate job. And it might leave me paralysed, like any back surgery. But nothing to lose, what, because that's the end game anyhow.

Sinsonido...hmmm.

• Sad 4

@Telebass, I'm sure you've gone down every avenue to find a way of continuing, but is sitting with something like a Hofner Club or Danelectro, DI'd to the desk completely out of the question? I'm only asking because, although you don't know me, I've seen you play several times when you were with the Rock'n'Roll Outlaws, in Tavi and Callington (yes every venue in Callington is shite 😉) and can see how much it means to you.

If there really is no way to continue then you have my sincere sympathies. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this man. It's  a hard thing to face up to. For very different reasons I fear that my playing days are over. My job means that I am working ad hoc and have to leave at short notice for an un known amount of time. This means that I can't arrange rehearsals never mind gigs. Also Im 56 now so I can't see the pubs being overly keen on old buggers playing songs for them, I think I too have to face up to the fact that I am never playing again.

• Sad 1

I too have back trouble. A herniated disc at L4/5 causing spinal canal narrowing and pressing on my sciatic nerve. I am off work just now and have gone private for an operation to hopefully cure this. I feel for you mate because I am crippled with  this and can only imagine what it must be like for other sufferers of back pain.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear this , l am 74 , had carpal tunnel ops on both wrists , cataracts removed from both eyes ( l can read the set list now ) taking daily tablets for my 'dicky' heart , have to get a carer for my wife every time l gig or rehearse ....... been playing music since the 60's ( in fact l play In a Stones Tribute now , so playing the same songs as l did then ! )

l recon l might be playing at my own funeral .

I will NEVER give up , so sad to to hear of others having to stop playing .

Pete

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ubit said:

Also Im 56 now so I can't see the pubs being overly keen on old buggers playing songs for them

This bit is the least of your worries! Didn't start in The Rock n Roll Outlaws until 55, and cracked it for 12 years! It really is what you play, and we played what they wanted to hear. Works every time.

Sorry to hear about your back issues, quite similar to mine at the start. Tip: if you end up down the road of fusion and extending that fusion, make sure they keep your lumbar curve intact.

It's failure to do this that has finished me off, and trying to fix it now is pretty desperate, tbh. Don't let it get that bad. If they can fix that with me without making anything else worse, then I might, just might, be able to start again. Assuming they agree even to try...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

An Update:

Having had lots of chats to the various surgeons, they've decided that they can try and rectify the previous error. But hell, it's sure going to take some rectifying...

Two big ops, not sure of order yet.

1) The more expected one. Remove all the currently-installed metalwork. differently shaped, longer fusion from L5 to T... This includes reshaping some vertebrae, all in the cause of restoring some sort of lumbar curve.

2) ALIF - Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. This is to fuse L5 with S1, effectively fusing spine to pelvis. It's that 'anterior' bit that worries. Draw a line from level with navel to just above pubis, a little to one side, cut, shovel everything aside until you get right to the back! Then start hammering bits of titanium in to the lower spine.

Ops to be done just two weeks apart, likely before Christmans, so all of a sudden, there;s no hanging about.

Jeeeeez...

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Telebass said:

An Update:

Having had lots of chats to the various surgeons, they've decided that they can try and rectify the previous error. But hell, it's sure going to take some rectifying...

Two big ops, not sure of order yet.

1) The more expected one. Remove all the currently-installed metalwork. differently shaped, longer fusion from L5 to T... This includes reshaping some vertebrae, all in the cause of restoring some sort of lumbar curve.

2) ALIF - Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. This is to fuse L5 with S1, effectively fusing spine to pelvis. It's that 'anterior' bit that worries. Draw a line from level with navel to just above pubis, a little to one side, cut, shovel everything aside until you get right to the back! Then start hammering bits of titanium in to the lower spine.

Ops to be done just two weeks apart, likely before Christmans, so all of a sudden, there;s no hanging about.

Jeeeeez...

Great news hopefully - best of luck mate

• Like 1

On a hopeful note, aikido buddy of mine had a similar op a year or so ago, much the same context, fused vertebrae being supported with new hardware, lots of titanium and a deal of Black n Decker work, proper do or die stuff to save his ability to walk, and he came through it with greater mobility and less pain once the actual op wounds had healed.

Very best of of luck.

• Like 5

Just now, WinterMute said:

On a hopeful note, aikido buddy of mine had a similar op a year or so ago, much the same context, fused vertebrae being supported with new hardware, lots of titanium and a deal of Black n Decker work, proper do or die stuff to save his ability to walk, and he came through it with greater mobility and less pain once the actual op wounds had healed.

Very best of of luck.

Encouraging, thanks.