Why become a member? ×

Vintage P bass rebuild

Duarte

Beautiful character to the wood with they ‘chevron’ grain down the middle. Oil and polish gets my vote. Any guard wood go with that: relic metal, tortoise shell, white or black...or maybe no guard at all. 

I have no idea as a novice bassist but as someone who has experience working with wood I would “let the grain take the strain” and stay natural. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

So... whats happening with this then?.. It's been a fortnight...

Haha! I fled Bangkok and went to Koh Chang for a week to escape the smoggy lockdown and work from the beach. I'm back on the bass and about to apply the first coat of tru-oil. Pics soon. I did have a parcel from Japan waiting for me when I returned...

Gotoh vintage style tuners, and they weigh an absolute ton. I love it.

IMG_20210909_101514.thumb.jpg.296fad9f91f861ae3b38e74ad7062dd7.jpg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Velarian said:

I’m also in the process of installing the tuners on my build. A similar story to you, lost a couple of screws and stripped the cross heads on a few more. Had to order a couple more packets of the blighters! 😟

Glad it's not just me! I find intricate tasks like this incredibly difficult - I'm as good as blind when working with things close up. Just have to order more screws and all is well though 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

stripped the cross heads

It is worth checking that the screw driver you use is in good condition and is the correct fit.  It makes a huge difference even with poorly formed screw heads.  A poorly fitting screw driver will ruin a screw head faster than most other things.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

It is worth checking that the screw driver you use is in good condition and is the correct fit.  It makes a huge difference even with poorly formed screw heads.  A poorly fitting screw driver will ruin a screw head faster than most other things.

This is the key thing and certainly the cause of my troubles. I’ve got to say it’s never clear to me if a screwdriver is a Phillips or Posidrive and then there’s the screws, I’m guessing they’re Phillips heads and they’re so damn small. 

• Like 1

Drill pilot holes...

Use a damp bar of soap rubbed on the threads as lube... or an Ikea Tea Light Candle!

Good fitting screwdriver (Jap/Phillips/Pozi are all cross head but different...)

A little tip... use a bit of thin plastic bag, like sandwich bag, or cling film, between screwdriver and screw, stops rounding, fills the gap and protects the finish particularly on black fasteners.

I do this 'bag trick' over nut heads before a socket and ratchet... or to pack and improve fit on allen head bolts and the allen key.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Drill pilot holes...

Use a damp bar of soap rubbed on the threads as lube... or an Ikea Tea Light Candle!

Good fitting screwdriver (Jap/Phillips/Pozi are all cross head but different...)

A little tip... use a bit of thin plastic bag, like sandwich bag, or cling film, between screwdriver and screw, stops rounding, fills the gap and protects the finish particularly on black fasteners.

I do this 'bag trick' over nut heads before a socket and ratchet... or to pack and improve fit on allen head bolts and the allen key.

Great tips! I drilled pilot holes but I think they weren't deep enough on the ones I rounded out. That's what I get for being too cautious I guess. 

More updates soon...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Apologies for the slow updates. Work became crazy for a couple of weeks as we prepare for reopening as the end of lockdown is in sight, so I haven't had the time to dedicate to this project until now. 

I've ordered a custom made black anodized from a local luthier. 

I wanted to get a few coats of oil done before the next update, and I am almost ready to start applying the finish, but I need some advice before I do. The wood has a couple of spots, only on the sides of the body, that are discoloured. This is the kind of thing that would become significantly more obvious once oil is applied. After a considerable amount of sanding, and an attempt at cleaning, I can't seem to get rid of them. 

I'm not too bothered if I can't remove them, as I will embrace the finished bass regardless of imperfections. After all, it's been around a fair bit! However, I'm putting this out there to see if anyone here has encountered such a thing.

Here is the worst affected area - otherwise the wood is beautiful. The bass is hanging out to dry after cleaning!

IMG_20210929_194421.thumb.jpeg.d7a7e49d56e6d6b4d88175af9608bb53.jpeg

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 22:14, TheGreek said:

I'm not normally a fan of (faux) relicing but IMO it was the only way to go with this. Too much "character" to try to renovate.

Natural finish is the way to go - I linked to a vintage finish (vinegar & wire wool) in another thread - could be the way to go.

Found it: 

This idea really stuck in my head. I've tested a spot inside the neck pocket. 

IMG_20210929_204857.thumb.jpeg.1042053c2c1f48888d9485bd63fa2728.jpeg

• Like 1

Obvously lifted the grain in the neck pocket a fair bit... Is that still wetish or after an hour so of drying? Should be a lot less on the sanded body. wire wool n vinegar? If ya like it go for it! certainly carries the grain and gives a unique vintage-esq look, and will go well with the mojo neck and worn ally plate.

I wouldnt worry about those spots too much, i got a lot of darker spots when using danish oil particularly on any end grain. so you may well end up with patches where you are not expecting them.

Edited by PaulThePlug

17 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Obvously lifted the grain in the neck pocket a fair bit... Is that still wetish or after an hour so of drying? Should be a lot less on the sanded body. wire wool n vinegar? If ya like it go for it! certainly carries the grain and gives a unique vintage-esq look, and will go well with the mojo neck and worn ally plate.

It was a little wet still - here's experiment number 2. I did this between the neck and pickup, an area that'd be covered up. Slightly sanded, then again but dampened (I'm trying to imagine what it'll look like with tru-oil). 

IMG_20210930_115345.jpg

IMG_20210930_153021.jpg

IMG_20210930_153246.jpg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 3

Will that effect not look a bit heavy when applied to the whole body? It feels to me a bit over the top just to mask a couple of dark spots on the edge of the body when the rest of the grain would look great naturally enhanced?

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

Will that effect not look a bit heavy when applied to the whole body? It feels to me a bit over the top just to mask a couple of dark spots on the edge of the body when the rest of the grain would look great naturally enhanced?

I think you're right. 

I think I will do this kind of stain on a future project, but this isn't the right bass for it.

• Like 1

Oiling has begun. There have been some very informative threads on BC about how best to do this - I must thank Honza992 for an incredibly detailed account of his telecaster build here: 

I am in the grain-fill stage, 3 coats of tru-oil applied. I am going to take it slow, and just keep going until it shines. It won't be perfect, it's an old bit of wood, but I am very happy with how it's going so far. I have a feeling the body will match the neck nicely in terms of colour and general 'vibe'. It's got some of the maddest grain I've ever seen on a body.

IMG_20211003_101830.jpg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 7

OK, proper update!

I'm still working through tru-oil coats (I have been conservatively applying 1 per day for the past 10 days and it still has a little way to go) but here's an idea of how she'll look. Pickguard arrived today and I must say I'm very happy with how it's coming along.

IMG_20211010_164642.jpeg

IMG_20211010_164720.jpeg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, PaulThePlug said:

Really Nice... Was that the old sctatchplate re-done, or did you keep that for a worn look?

This is a new one I had made by a local luthier, I'll keep the old one for something. But I am digging this look for now!

• Like 1