Why become a member? ×

Practice Amp stops working - what would you do?

Cat Burrito

I have a 6yr old fairly immaculate looking Ampeg BA108 and it was used fairly extensively for the first 4yrs. I bought a similar Orange one to replace it and it was upstairs in storage (in a padded cover) for 18 months. A few months ago I started rehearsing in a summerhouse with a guitarist friend (no other musicians so not pushed past 3 on the volume). I came to rehearse yesterday and it was completely dead. We swapped out the kettle lead and changed plug sockets and it appears to have just died. It was fine last time and hadn't been moved.

I appreciate it's difficult to analysis kit you haven't seen or heard but is this worth investigating in terms of repair? Or should I cut my losses. I have other practice amps and actually the bass sounded fine through our small PA (for practice purposes). I am just fearful that this could be an expensive repair of an inexpensive piece of kit. My experience of Ampeg's lower range is that it tends not to last. Just wondered if anyone else had any views.

I'd agree it's worth having a peak inside it. On some amps there may be fuse that you can access without needing to even open it - it'll probably be somewhere near the power lead.

I've had to replace internal fuses on a few amps over the years. If a fuse looks visibly blown (or you can test with a multimeter) -  and there's no other visible damage then it's definitely worth a try. 

Recently I also had a slightly more expensive amp fail - TC Electronic BH550. A VDR had blown, taking the internal fuse with it.

It's currently with a retired tech, who got it up and running without the VDR. It's apparently needed in the circuit for safety, so it's currently waiting on a replacement coming from China - at a cost of under £5 delivered. I'll need to give the guy a few quid for his efforts too - but I shouldn't be too much out of pocket.

George

• Like 1

I bought a head from Basschat a few years ago, which was faulty when I received it.

I could hear a pretty severe distortion and there was a definite lack of power.

I took the cover off it checked for loose connections and re-seated any component connectors on the board. I put it back together and it has worked perfectly since.

Before you spend any money on it, I recommend you do the same and check if any internal fuses have blown.

• Like 1

I tend to resort to my tried and tested ‘polite, nasty, kick it’ method.

1) talk to it calmly and politely whist switching it on and off, and twiddling the knobs.

2) start muttering and swearing at it whilst switching it on and off, and twiddling the knobs.

3) lose my temper and give it a good kick.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2