Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a synth pedal

la bam

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Can you post some of your settings? 😀

The laser preset is also good but to make the most of it, and other presets, you need an expression pedal but it really does add hugely to their usefulness. So much so I couldn't be without one now.

For added low end synth goodness I sometimes add in parallel an octaver set to 100% octave down.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Love to hear a clip of this setting. As you say, if it nails the 80s bass synth, it's gotta be worth checking out particularly at that price point and with presets.

What is it like in terms of tracking, glitchiness?

@krispn - may be of interest for your new 80s band venture?

I'll do a clip when I'm back home... I'm away on a residential course at the moment. There are some great clips on YouTube as well. At this price tho the pedal is almost a must have, no brainer, purchase.

Just now, Boodang said:

I'll do a clip when I'm back home... I'm away on a residential course at the moment. There are some great clips on YouTube as well. At this price tho the pedal is almost a must have, no brainer, purchase.

... no problems with tracking, only gets glitchy if you try to do chords, but you don't have to be too clean with your playing as copes quite well if you get a bit sloppy.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Love to hear a clip of this setting. As you say, if it nails the 80s bass synth, it's gotta be worth checking out particularly at that price point and with presets.

What is it like in terms of tracking, glitchiness?

@krispn - may be of interest for your new 80s band venture?

Cheers I’ve been going to these rehearsals trying to work with the keys player on what parts we’ll play and he’s very happy to leave the bass parts to me. I think I’ve basically avoided the ‘need’ for a synth but the Mono might give a couple of usable options. We’re kinda in agreement now after a couple of rehearsals that the bass guitar should sound like a bass guitar and let the keys player do all other ‘on synths’ stuff. Something about having a real bass tone makes it feel a bit more locked in with the drums and feel more organic, like a live band.

It’s still a very new thing so it’ll evolve over time but this appears to be working well. I think the couple of synth tones I have on the stomp might actually work?🤭 We’re trying the more synth heavy ones on Monday night so we shall see! The beauty of presets!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krispn said:

The Knife ‘Heartbeats’ tone in the EHX official demo is a great sound right at the end. The mono sounds like a fun pedal! 

For anyone else interested: here's a side by side comparison

The EHX at 5.56:

Not convinced the mono synth nails it, but certainly usable! 

Guessing that @Quatschmacher would get a lot closer on the FI but we're, of course, talking about a level above in terms of price point and sophistication.

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

The EHX at 5.56:

Guessing that @Quatschmacher would get a lot closer on the FI but we're, of course, talking about a level above in terms of price point and sophistication.

Yeah I don’t think he’s going for a dead on cop of the tone-  it a nice tone (but also needs extra pedals).

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The EHX at 5.56:

That doesn’t sound much like it. Ironically it (the Mono patch) sounds like one of the original Deep Impact patches. 

That’s a cool sound on the track. 

Edited by Quatschmacher