Why become a member? ×

London Luthiers

Al Krow

My local bass tec has disappeared from the Hackney to Jersey, so defo not as convenient for me anymore...

Came across the following:

Guitar Hospital 253 Rotherhithe St, London SE16 5FX

The Walking Bass 54 Glenhouse Rd, London SE9 1JQ

Graham Parker Luthier   Lewisham, London, SE13 

Dunno if any of you London BC'ers have used any of the above or could recommend someone not too far from E3?

@Reggaebass - do you have someone local that you use for more than a basic set up e.g. replacing a preamp?

Edited by Al Krow

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

do you have someone local that you use for more than a basic set up e.g. replacing a preamp

Unfortunately I don’t Al, Andy Baxter was a handy guy to know when he was local, but he’s moved now, I’ll make some enquiries for you 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Gibson now works out of Sixty Sixty sounds on Denmark St, he's very very experienced and I've had good results. On one MIJ bass he even did a partial defret, a slight fingerboard shoot and then replaced the original frets for me, which is something many repairers won't do... and affordably too. 

Edited by KK Jale
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I popped into Wunjos yesterday and they recommended Kevin too, who is located just above them.

Thanks everyone for all the other helpful suggestions. Hoddesdon doesn't look too far out of the way for me for as an alternative route for a return trip from Brum which I make fairly regularly, which is also really good to know.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 14:05, Al Krow said:

My local bass tec has disappeared from the Hackney to Jersey, so defo not as convenient for me anymore...

Came across the following:

Guitar Hospital 253 Rotherhithe St, London SE16 5FX

The Walking Bass 54 Glenhouse Rd, London SE9 1JQ

Graham Parker Luthier   Lewisham, London, SE13 

Dunno if any of you London BC'ers have used any of the above or could recommend someone not too far from E3?

@Reggaebass - do you have someone local that you use for more than a basic set up e.g. replacing a preamp?

I used Graham a lot when I lived in South London. he's really good and very friendly. Highly reccomended.  And a +1 for The Gallery if you are up North.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/08/2021 at 22:41, Lozz196 said:

A trip up the A10 takes you to our very own Gary Mac in Hoddesden 

Thanks very much for the recommendation Lozz. @gary mac has just fitted a new preamp to one of my basses and sorted out an earthing issue with the blend knob on another that was causing the bass to cut-out; all for a very reasonable price. Both basses now working well and it was lovely to meet Gary in person and have a catch up.

Gary doesn't "push" his bass (and guitar) tech work on BC given his role as a moderator, so let me take the opportunity to do that on his behalf - I'll certainly be making use of his skills again as and when the need arises.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1