Why become a member? ×

DAW for windows 10

oldslapper

I reckon Reaper is quite light on PC load. I run it on an old Windows XP desktop with 2GB an not noticed memory issues whilst running a good number of tracks @ 44.1 or 48 kHz. I'm not running loads of VST instruments on it.

in case anyone wondering why old XP setup. It's an audio interface compatibility thing.

If looking at more pattern based / EDM etc then other software might be preferable eg Ableton / Reason. But for straight audio recording then I'll say Reaper as the primary software solution.

Edited by rmorris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I tried to install Bandlab (ex-Cakewalk...) onto my PC (Intel i5, 12Gb, SSD, Win10 64 Pro...) and had to give up. I've been in IT since... well, even longer than that, but I renounced. It may well be splendid; I couldn't get it to work. :(

Odd...I run Bandlab/Cakewalk on a bogstandard HP desktop and was up and running within a few minutes after install.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Odd...I run Bandlab/Cakewalk on a bogstandard HP desktop and was up and running within a few minutes after install.

Same here 👍 I’ve got an i7, 16gb, SSD & HD and NVidia 970 gtx gfx. Was up in running in minutes without a hitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Yeah - stuff happens. I couldn't install a BitWig Demo (Ableton competitor)  onto this Laptop - Good Spec' HP i7 Laptop whilst Reaper and anything else I've tried has no issues. Had some advice from BitWig support re Cache etc so will try when convenient but not a priority timewise atm tbh.

7 hours ago, rmorris said:

Yeah - stuff happens. I couldn't install a BitWig Demo (Ableton competitor)  onto this Laptop - Good Spec' HP i7 Laptop whilst Reaper and anything else I've tried has no issues. Had some advice from BitWig support re Cache etc so will try when convenient but not a priority timewise atm tbh.

Could you not just star over?  Wipe it clean and reinstall windows?

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Could you not just star over?  Wipe it clean and reinstall windows?

I'll look at the advice again when I have time. I was just interested to run the demo.

The Windows installation isn't the problem so I wouldn't look to wipe clean / re-install the OS with all the associated hassle and pitfalls.

I guess it'll be going to Windows 11 before too long.

My advice is the same as always.

If you need to to easily swap projects with other band members or songwriting collaborators it makes most sense for you all to be using the same DAW. There are work arounds using OMF files, but nothing beats the simplicity of everyone having the same DAW.

It's hard to argue with the initial VFM of Reaper when it is essentially free (or £60 if you actually fork out for a licence). However if you are used to Logic you will be mightily disappointed with the poor selection of plug-ins that are bundled with it, and unless you are able to find suitable freeware offerings, by the time you have paid for a couple of decent 3rd party plug-ins (such as a proper drum sampler/programmer) you will be approaching the full price of one of the more expensive DAWs which comes with all these things as standard.

The other thing to bear in mind, especially as a Logic user is that if you have been making use of the excellent MIDI editing facilities that it has, you will find Reaper's functionality is also lacking in that department.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

My advice is the same as always.

If you need to to easily swap projects with other band members or songwriting collaborators it makes most sense for you all to be using the same DAW. There are work arounds using OMF files, but nothing beats the simplicity of everyone having the same DAW.

It's hard to argue with the initial VFM of Reaper when it is essentially free (or £60 if you actually fork out for a licence). However if you are used to Logic you will be mightily disappointed with the poor selection of plug-ins that are bundled with it, and unless you are able to find suitable freeware offerings, by the time you have paid for a couple of decent 3rd party plug-ins (such as a proper drum sampler/programmer) you will be approaching the full price of one of the more expensive DAWs which comes with all these things as standard.

The other thing to bear in mind, especially as a Logic user is that if you have been making use of the excellent MIDI editing facilities that it has, you will find Reaper's functionality is also lacking in that department.

Plus 1 on Logic, unbeatable for home use and pretty good value at £200.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

... a proper drum sampler/programmer...

I might be interested to learn of any DAW that comes bundled with drum software that approaches the quality and ease of use  of ToonTrack's 'Superior Drummer 3' (price approx. £250...) or Stephen Slate Drums 5.5 or Trigger Platinum (price approx. $120...). As of typing this I know of none, but am willing to hear of any.

22 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I might be interested to learn of any DAW that comes bundled with drum software that approaches the quality and ease of use  of ToonTrack's 'Superior Drummer 3' (price approx. £250...) or Stephen Slate Drums 5.5 or Trigger Platinum (price approx. $120...). As of typing this I know of none, but am willing to hear of any.

I remember an old version of Protools came with a DVD of live loops, my old Audition box had something similar.  

Boringly i always say Cubase. I cant imagine life without it lol. 

Its not the published features, although they are fantastic, its the smaller so well thought out ones that impress me. Finding new things everyday.

I’m ok worth most DAW’s, as far as getting something in and out of them at least. Tried quite a few over the years, but CB just hits the spot.

I tried my best with Cakewalk by Band lab, but compared to CB it just seemed clunky and took way to long to do some of the simple things. I was a Cakewalk and Sonar user for a while, a long time ago, but CB just blows them all away IME. 

The ‘best’ is always the one that gets the job done with the least hassle, and the most fun IME. Thats why we all like different ones. 

47 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I suppose it depends what you want out of a drum plug-in.

I've been using the audio version of Logic for over 20 years now and have a massive library of "groove quantisation files", plus loads of drum kits in EXS24 (Logic's built-in sampler) format which I use along with the Hyper Edit Window for writing the actual drum parts.

However, now that have upgraded to Logic Pro X I'll probably have a go with the built-in "Drummer" plug-in on my next composition.

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I suppose it depends what you want out of a drum plug-in...

Being a Drummer, my main consideration is being able to play drums into the DAW, firstly, or create drum tracks, mostly using MIDI (piano-roll style...) or samples (timpani hits, for instance, or hand-claps...). The stuff I compose is very varied, but largely orchestrally-inspired; I'm not at ease with EDM or Disco stuff. I seldom (read: never...) use sequencers or arpeggiators. Currently I use my drum software triggered by one of my e-kits. I can't think of any bundled DAW equivalent. There may be; I haven't seen/tried 'em all. I use this for playing 'live' cover songs, from Bowie, through R.E.M. and Noir Désir to Bashung, RATM, Radiohead and more. Reaper and Superior Drummer do all of this just fine, within my modest budget, on lowly material. Certainly not 'cutting edge', top-of-the-line' pro-studio stuff, but, then again, although I'm good, I'm not a 'cutting edge', top-of-the-line' pro-studio Drummer, so... ;)

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Being a Drummer, my main consideration is being able to play drums into the DAW, firstly, or create drum tracks, mostly using MIDI (piano-roll style...) or samples (timpani hits, for instance, or hand-claps...). The stuff I compose is very varied, but largely orchestrally-inspired; I'm not at ease with EDM or Disco stuff. I seldom (read: never...) use sequencers or arpeggiators. Currently I use my drum software triggered by one of my e-kits. I can't think of any bundled DAW equivalent. There may be; I haven't seen/tried 'em all. I use this for playing 'live' cover songs, from Bowie, through R.E.M. and Noir Désir to Bashung, RATM, Radiohead and more. Reaper and Superior Drummer do all of this just fine, within my modest budget, on lowly material. Certainly not 'cutting edge', top-of-the-line' pro-studio stuff, but, then again, although I'm good, I'm not a 'cutting edge', top-of-the-line' pro-studio Drummer, so... ;)

In that case the built-in sampler of any DAW should be sufficient if all you want is to map samples and/or multi-samples onto MIDI notes, so that they can be played/triggered from an electronic kit. No need for a dedicated drummer plug-in.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

In that case the built-in sampler of any DAW should be sufficient if all you want is to map samples and/or multi-samples onto MIDI notes, so that they can be played/triggered from an electronic kit. No need for a dedicated drummer plug-in.

I fear I may have expressed myself badly. All I want to do is play drums, really, not laboriously set up a complete kit with a multitude of samples/velocities etc to be able to play. That's what the drum software does (although I can, if inspired, modify any of it if I so wish...). The dozens (hundreds..?) of kits and kit elements are already there, ready to play with a fine interface. I have, in my murky and distant past, more than dabbled in ASM programming, and I'm capable (or was, back then..!) of writing the software for triggering samples myself. I still am not convinced that there's a bundled DAW with anything like the drum software I use. Others, with different needs, will get on very well with Fruity Loops and the like, but that doesn't fit my bill at all. No need for a dedicated drummer plug-in..? Hmm... I must, indeed, have expressed myself very badly. :friends:

35 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I fear I may have expressed myself badly. All I want to do is play drums, really, not laboriously set up a complete kit with a multitude of samples/velocities etc to be able to play. That's what the drum software does (although I can, if inspired, modify any of it if I so wish...). The dozens (hundreds..?) of kits and kit elements are already there, ready to play with a fine interface. I have, in my murky and distant past, more than dabbled in ASM programming, and I'm capable (or was, back then..!) of writing the software for triggering samples myself. I still am not convinced that there's a bundled DAW with anything like the drum software I use. Others, with different needs, will get on very well with Fruity Loops and the like, but that doesn't fit my bill at all. No need for a dedicated drummer plug-in..? Hmm... I must, indeed, have expressed myself very badly. :friends:

Might be worth a look at Cubase or Cubase Elements (dependent on budget) as it’s instrument to MIDI conversion through dedicated interface is perfect for what you may be looking for a DAW to do. I recall in 95’ my then college lecturer demonstrating this very process using a strat with MIDI pup installed and it mapped beautifully to Cubase. 

Edited by andy67

Both Cubase (and Nuendo) have a pretty in-depth Drum and Percussion VSTi bundled in with their DAW's - Groove Agent 5 SE.

It has standard Acoustic kits, Hybrid, Electronic and various Percussion kits, including World/Ethnic sounds.

It has a pattern/groove generator plus, it includes midi files for internal and external use.

There is also a decent upgrade price to the full version of 'Groove Agent'. Plus, additional kits can be purchased.

Even the cheaper Cubase Artist, or indeed Elements at £85.00 includes Groove Agent SE.

• Thanks 2

On 14/08/2021 at 21:20, oldslapper said:

Got a spare windows 10 laptop about 2 years old. I’ve just wiped it and reset 
I’m toying with the idea of using it exclusively for a DAW, but have no experience with windows music production, having only ever used Mac Logic Pro X and GarageBand.

What recommendations do you have? 

Since this thread seems to have veered towards discussing Drum Plug Ins etc.

It's probably relevant to ask the OP if that is particularly important to them ?

On 14/08/2021 at 21:20, oldslapper said:

Got a spare windows 10 laptop about 2 years old. I’ve just wiped it and reset 
I’m toying with the idea of using it exclusively for a DAW, but have no experience with windows music production, having only ever used Mac Logic Pro X and GarageBand.

What recommendations do you have? 

If you already have a Mac and are happy with Logic and GarageBand, I would suggest that there is little point in trying to find a musical use for your Windows machine. Whatever you pick it will feel alien after Logic and none of the ways of exchanging project data between different DAWs are for the faint-hearted, and even the best won't leave you with all the editable facilities of the project on the original DAW.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you already have a Mac and are happy with Logic and GarageBand, I would suggest that there is little point in trying to find a musical use for your Windows machine. Whatever you pick it will feel alien after Logic and none of the ways of exchanging project data between different DAWs are for the faint-hearted, and even the best won't leave you with all the editable facilities of the project on the original DAW.

I’m beginning to think this myself. Maybe I should sell the Dell and get a used MacBook. 
Appreciate everyone’s help. Thanks 

A very satisfied Reaper user here - works well and I found it very intuitive especially when emulating a traditional analog desk and assigning inputs, (analog and MIDI) bus masters and FX returns.  Not sure how well it would run on an ageing laptop though - I run an i5 iMac with 24gb ram! 

10BCFD23-7F4E-409F-A014-BFA0250DA7A5.JPG

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1