Why become a member? ×

Anyone know a electronics tech who can check out my Gibson RD Artist bass?

Peejay

Hi folks

I have a 1978 Gibson RD Artist bass that I've owned since new. It has always been kept safely in its case but for some reason the output has suddenly fallen. All the controls work OK and I've changed the battery, but the output is lower than my passive basses. I don't think it's a fault with the Moog circuitry because the onboard effects still work OK.

Does anyone know an electronics tech who could check it out please? I'm located near Selby in North Yorks.

Any help would be really appreciated as I love this bass (despite its weight) and want to restore it to full health.

Cheers

Paul

They're not exactly high output to start with but if you want to check everything then I'd replace the battery snap if it's still using the original - I had to do this on my '79 model to cure weirdness.  Also your '78 will have the double three way switches below the bridge and they sometimes get a bit messed up so they need a clean/checking the contacts.  The '79 onwards model had two mini switches instead of one of the three way switches.  See this page for some pics and info: https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist_techinfo.php (thanks to Jules for collating all this).

Can't help you with local info, but hopefully that's a start.  Good luck.