Why become a member? ×

Going 'through' The String Thing-------------

gypsyjazzer

I'm wanting to try different strings. As you know how expensive sets are, so looking at second hand possibility's.

Looking to try:

a) 'Obligatos'

b) Flexocor  Delux

c) D'Addario Helicore Forths--Tuning Cello

d) D'Addario Helicore Hybrid Bass String Set 3/4 Scale Length Medium Tension  (Still wanted)

e) Pirastro Oliv G  (G only)

If you have any of the above mentioned sets for sale send me a PM with condition / photo / price.

Many thanks.

Edited by gypsyjazzer
Changed wording

• gypsyjazzer changed the title to Going 'through' The String Thing-------------

This for the dB or the new cello project?

I have some dAddario Helicore Hybrid bass strings ... A guy I had lessons from says they are the worst of both worlds in that they don't pizz or bow well.  I would say they bow easier than my full tension spiros and still work ok for pizz ( actually I don't think the band members can tell the difference, and the audience don't care ).  Orchestra rehearsals start again next month and ( if a few clients pay invoices) I'll be upgrading to Evah Ps  .. which bow AND pizz better.  Upon which the helicores could go to a new home.

Nothing does pizz like spiros imho, but then, I do like a "modern" long sustain sound with less thump and more mwah 😉

Here's what I have. Helicore Hybrid Series, medium tension.  Steel core.  Not much "thump" to them, quite soft.  A deal quieter than my "full strength" spiros and less hard work to finger.

NB: just listening to Eddie Gomez .. a sound I like, & pretty much thump free. Spiros apparently.

IMG_20210817_224115.jpg

Edited by NickA