Why become a member? ×

Which "Flatwounds" to use...?

flatwound

I would like to try a set of flatwound strings, however when they cost in excess of $100 for a pack of 4, I [i]don't[/i] want to make a mistake :) could some of you knowledgeable gents :rolleyes: (bass players) suggest a decent brand, and add the characteristics please.
I did say please,....and thanks...and as always, all comments appreciated :D

[quote name='flatwound' post='450221' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:46 AM']Sounds like you are doubting me.... Ernie Ball I think they were called:
At my local music shop.

(02) 6282-3199
[email protected]
www.bettermusic.com.au

I am more than happy to refund [b]you[/b] the cost of a phone call to OZ[/quote]

It was a genuine question mate. I thought you were talking US$. I don’t have a clue how much they should cost, but I’m not sure I give enough of a rat’s arse to investigate the price any further anyway…

Without trying to be rude, there is a search function on this forum, you've asked such a general question with no real information about what you like that there can be many answers.

High tension, low tension, somewhere in the middle, dull flats, lively (well, as lively as flats can be), or perhaps ground/pressure wound are more your area?

Honestly, do a search for "flatwound" strings, it'll keep you reading for ages.

Also, the Misc board a couple down is where a lot more string questions get asked, of which you've already found and put an identical post there....quite odd. Bearing in mind this is a mostly European based forum so if you did it in order to get lots of responces... well most people are sleeping at this time of night, and unlike Talkbass and certain other bass forums, non of us really linger just in one section (well, barring some of the Offtopic people and the URB players), so the topics do get read by lots of people anyway.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='450223' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:57 PM']Without trying to be rude, there is a search function on this forum, you've asked such a general question with no real information about what you like that there can be many answers.

High tension, low tension, somewhere in the middle, dull flats, lively (well, as lively as flats can be), or perhaps ground/pressure wound are more your area?

Honestly, do a search for "flatwound" strings, it'll keep you reading for ages.

Also, the Misc board a couple down is where a lot more string questions get asked, of which you've already found and put an identical post there....quite odd. Bearing in mind this is a mostly European based forum so if you did it in order to get lots of responces... well most people are sleeping at this time of night, and unlike Talkbass and certain other bass forums, non of us really linger just in one section (well, barring some of the Offtopic people and the URB players), so the topics do get read by lots of people anyway.[/quote]

Firstly: I don't know how to delete the post. otherwise I would have.
Second: I am well aware of the time differences around the world ( I wasn't sitting here holding my breath, waiting for a reply)
Third: I didn't know that flatwound strings come in High / Low Tension, somewhere in the bloody middle, dull / lively, ground or flamin pressure wound....hence my f$%@&*$ question....I asked for someone to give me the characteristics of flatwounds and a decent sort of brand...I am also well aware that it is a general sort of question, and if I was more experienced I would have worded it differently.
and last...you have put in a fair effort to tell me where I went wrong etc, why didn't you put in the same effort to answer my question?? do you know anything about strings?? :)

To get back on topic.... I personally hate fender flats, which are about the cheapest I think. They are very stiff and sort of liveless. I tried all the Thomastiks, LaBellas, etc. which are nice in their way, but quite costly. Then again they last about 25 years on my fretless !!! My best deal for the money are Galli flats. They do it for me at have the cost of LaBellas.

Not got off to a good start have you?

You will get lots of replies along the lines of "I use x" without much further explanation. I use TI Jazz Flats cos they are soft and bright. Some flats are really hard and tear your fingers up. Not tried any other brands.

I also use Status Hotwire halfs on my fretless and other basses. These feel like flats but sound like rounds - thats the idea anyway but execution does vary. I tried the TI's on my fretless; didn't like the sound. Funny that.

[quote name='flatwound' post='450226' date='Mar 31 2009, 04:54 AM']Firstly: I don't know how to delete the post. otherwise I would have.
Second: I am well aware of the time differences around the world ( I wasn't sitting here holding my breath, waiting for a reply)
Third: I didn't know that flatwound strings come in High / Low Tension, somewhere in the bloody middle, dull / lively, ground or flamin pressure wound....hence my f$%@&*$ question....I asked for someone to give me the characteristics of flatwounds and a decent sort of brand...I am also well aware that it is a general sort of question, and if I was more experienced I would have worded it differently.
and last...you have put in a fair effort to tell me where I went wrong etc, why didn't you put in the same effort to answer my question?? do you know anything about strings?? :)[/quote]

As has already been mentioned, all you're going to get here is lists of what strings people use and what they sound like [i]to them[/i], regardless of their gear or style of music.

Seriously... Google is your friend. Do a bit of research. Then, if you have questions from there, ask away. We'd love to help.

FWIW, I use La Bella FLs.

I have Rotosound SM77 Jazz flats on my electric basses
[url="http://www.rotosound.com/jazz77.html"]http://www.rotosound.com/jazz77.html[/url]

and LaBella LAB_760N Black Nylon Tapewounds on my acoustic bass...

I play blues, Jazz, old style blues rock (Zepp, Cream, Hendrix etc.) and love the low end thump of the Rotos and the nice mellow upright sound of the LaBellas, plus, once played in, the strings last for years... none of this new strings malarky every few weeks you get with roundwounds... :)

If you are used to rounds but want to try flats I would suggest D'addario Chromes. I've tried a couple of different brands of flats before, one of which was TI flats but I found them to be too dead and woody sounding, more like a double bass.

When I fitted D'addarios they were a revelation.THey sound more like well used roundwound strings, which is the sound I was looking for, and were not such a quantum jump from what I was used to.

With reference to the tension comment, TI (Thomastik Infeld) flats have very low tension so when you play them after playing with rounds they will feel comparatively floppy and loose which you may not like and may require some adjustments to your bass.

Welcome to BC :)

Edited cos I can't spell

Edited by AndyMartin

FWIW I use predominantly flatwounds so have tried quite a few.

I have settled with GHS and D'addario. Mostly because although they are quite bright initially they 'dirty up' after a couple of weeks. This then makes a wonderful tone that I am happy with.

Status and DR boht make nice ones too but stay a bit too brite for my liking.

Roto's and Fenders I just dont get on with, they feel very rough under my fingers.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='450343' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:47 AM']FWIW I use predominantly flatwounds so have tried quite a few.

I have settled with GHS and D'addario. Mostly because although they are quite bright initially they 'dirty up' after a couple of weeks. This then makes a wonderful tone that I am happy with.

Status and DR boht make nice ones too but stay a bit too brite for my liking.

Roto's and Fenders I just dont get on with, they feel very rough under my fingers.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Hi Burpster

Can you tell me, did you have the Rotosounds long enough to be able to comment on the difference in sound between those and the Daddario's ?

Cheers

Steve

OP is a lovely person, rude to both benwhite and myself and decides to ignore advice given. Charming.

Now, geared toward the op:

As a fyi, I did ask you questions so I could give answers and you brushed them aside, then decided to have a pop for not giving you suggestions straight off the bat, whether that's ignorance/arrogance or stupidity I'm not sure, but as you've probably spotted, not answering have given you a nice big selection of answers with no basis for what would suit you.

So, how do you like your *current* strings tension wise? Are they stiff enough to support a bridge or are they floppy? That's a good marker for the brands people will offer you on here, as if you want super stiff everyone will point at Rotosound flats for the most part, whereas the TI flats are of much lower tension and more pliable.

You must also have some indication of the sound you want if you know you want flats, do you want a full on dead dub sound, or some highs to it?

Give more information and you get better answers.

Edited by Buzz

Calm down guys! The OP obviously doesn't know much about our forum or flatwound strings, so it's probably not a good idea to put him off both just because of this thread. We all had to start somewhere! I think the $100 remark was taken too seriously to begin with, maybe the OP was a little sensitive, but let's put that shaky start behind us and try to help a newbie out!

FWIW I've used two brands of flats in the past:

Rotosound - I found that the tension was a little too high for my tastes, but they sounded good on my fretless P
TI Jazz - My preferred choice. Nice tension but a little grippy at the start, this does wear down a bit over time though!

[quote name='stevefletch59' post='450406' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:46 AM']Hi Burpster

Can you tell me, did you have the Rotosounds long enough to be able to comment on the difference in sound between those and the Daddario's ?

Cheers

Steve[/quote]

Steve, yeah I did with the Rotos.... the Fenders lasted about 2 weeks, they just were like cheesewire on my fingers. In fairness I did only try the one set of Rotos so other sets might be different. Theyh definately had a feelable gap between the ribbon edges and when sliding this made my fingers raw very quickly.. Tonally the Rotos were quite nice and muddy but tactially a big nah ahh from me.

The nylonwound Rotos are great but HUGE guage..... Nowhere near as nice in feel or tone as the GHS nylonwound 45-100s

[quote name='acidbass' post='450836' date='Mar 31 2009, 09:16 PM']Calm down guys! The OP obviously doesn't know much about our forum or flatwound strings, so it's probably not a good idea to put him off both just because of this thread. We all had to start somewhere! I think the $100 remark was taken too seriously to begin with, maybe the OP was a little sensitive, but let's put that shaky start behind us and try to help a newbie out!

TI Jazz - My preferred choice. Nice tension but a little grippy at the start, this does wear down a bit over time though![/quote]

+1