Jump to content

Truss Rod Issues


Recommended Posts

Re naming and shaming, I will see where other people are at. I would hate someone else to have the same issue as a result of them not knowing about other people's experiences.

 

In his 'defence', I have seen him produce some amazing work...I am guessing I was far too unknown for him to focus on this build? All sorts of little clues once 'one' starts to look at this build...great shame as I don't hate this bass, I am just struggling with the lack of 'care' that seems to have gone into certain aspects of the build.

 

A.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rmorris said:

Thanks for the clarification. On the 'detective' front we've narrowed it down to London then 🙃 (no real idea if that is an appropriate emoticon !)

I do hope you get it resolved.

A London based, male luthier 🤔. What we need to know is whether that's central London or the outskirts and whether it's north or south.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2021 at 18:02, ADAM ROBERTS said:

A condensed tale of woe....Bass built by someone well known, well, seems to be. Happy as lamb for the first 4 years. Year 5 onwards, start noticing some issues with the neck...

 

Fast forward to this week, having given-up trying to get the original builder to do the right thing off I toddle to Sims to 'confirm/dispel' my worst fears.

 

Truss rod has bottomed out(maple neck bass, bass guitar build completed in early 2015 if memory serves). Frets buzzing up by the 15th onwards, notes choking if string bends attempted.

 

Sims very Kindly levelled etc and have got it in a much better place BUT, and here's the kicker, IF the neck moves again, no room in the truss rod so...

 

Apart from ripping the frets off and reshooting the neck, then having to take nimrod to court....any other ideas? Apart from setting fire to the neck and starting again?

 

:(

 

Do you have too much relief in the neck at the moment? Loosening the truss rod nut, clamping it into a back-bow, and re-fitting the nut might solve the issue, if I'm understanding it correctly.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

 

Do you have too much relief in the neck at the moment? Loosening the truss rod nut, clamping it into a back-bow, and re-fitting the nut might solve the issue, if I'm understanding it correctly.

 

 

As I understand it, the relief is okay around the 12th fret BUT, and I am no whizz with this stuff(why I trusted the original builder initially and then again to fix it!)...beyond the 14th fret etc, there are weird issues, maybe a twist?

 

The truss rod is maxed out, so....as I understand it, there are ways around this....spacer/washer etc.

 

The frets were levelled, well....attempted, could not be done completely....top end of the neck has something going on either separately or in conjunction with the truss rod being maxed out when that was attempted.

 

Plan is to let it sit through the seasonal change and then eyeball it IF it remains 'unstable'.

 

After that, I will need to take it to Sims and go from there...

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

I have thought long and had about this and, others are okay with it so....

 

The builder in question is the London based Joseph Kaye Guitars.

 

I wish it wasn't so BUT, there you have it...I just don't understand why when you pay someone to do something very specific that they don't and then claim they did! I would feel bad for anyone else if I said nothing.

 

Don't get me wrong, he's done some amazing work that I have seen first hand, in this instance though, well....you know the story.

 

 

Edited by ADAM ROBERTS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that. Not a name I’m familiar with and, now that I’ve left the Big Smoke, not one I’ll be considering (certainly not now). I’m just glad that it wasn’t a more well know London name, as that would be even more disappointing somehow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirn Adam Roberts' assertions as I too have had really bad work done by this bloke (or not, as the lie may prove), doing work he wasn't requested to do and doing a s*** job of it when he did.  

I got my instruments out of there as quick as I could before he ****** them up completely.

I *did* pay the invoice  - but only with the express intention of getting my stuff back from him as quickly as possible.

He has no idea how to fix a neck, so **** knows why he thinks he's qualified enough to tell people he can make a neck.

He can't.

His website reads like a Lewis Carol novel - pure self-agrandising fiction that you don't question until you've actually experienced this clown, but once you do you see it for what it is.

To be continued...

-------------------------------------------------------

Edited by mckendrick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2021 at 18:02, ADAM ROBERTS said:

A condensed tale of woe....Bass built by someone well known, well, seems to be. Happy as lamb for the first 4 years. Year 5 onwards, start noticing some issues with the neck...

 

Fast forward to this week, having given-up trying to get the original builder to do the right thing off I toddle to Sims to 'confirm/dispel' my worst fears.

 

Truss rod has bottomed out(maple neck bass, bass guitar build completed in early 2015 if memory serves). Frets buzzing up by the 15th onwards, notes choking if string bends attempted.

 

Sims very Kindly levelled etc and have got it in a much better place BUT, and here's the kicker, IF the neck moves again, no room in the truss rod so...

 

Apart from ripping the frets off and reshooting the neck, then having to take nimrod to court....any other ideas? Apart from setting fire to the neck and starting again?

 

:(

 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was sent this link via someone we both know .. 

 

But here goes .. 
 

That’s for the heads up ,, I’ve know Adam for 15 plus years .. There’s nothing wrong with the bass I made for him .. 

 

I sent it up for him again about 6 months ago, after he said something was wrong .. 

 

There’s isn’t ..  adjusted the neck & dreses the frets ,, It’s a great guitar ..

 

When he came to collect .. I was half an hour late getting to my Workshop to meet him ,, 

 

I have & was at the time still quite ill from long Covid .. He was really off key & rude ..He Left shouting ‘This is going to ge all over social media’ .. 

 

and deleted all links between us ,, 

 

All because I was late .. 

 

But that’s what Adam is like .. 

 

It’s a shame but I can’t change how he is .. 

 

there’s isn’t anything wrong with how the bass was made  .. Or anything that’s happening to this Bass recently,, 

 

it left the workshop with a good set up & no issues .. 

 

it’s a great bass .. 

 

Best wishes 

 

Joseph 🌿

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I start by stating that I know neither party in this dispute and I'm not taking sides on this though one often gets a general "feeling" about disputes. IMO Common sense is often the best guide in these situations.

 

Why would the customer make an issue if there isn't one? If the bass isn't defective as @Joseph kaye suggests what does @ADAM ROBERTS have to gain by bringing it to the attention of this forum? It also appears that at least one other BCer has unresolved issues with one of @Joseph kaye's projects.

 

If I were in the position that my reputation as a luthier was at risk I would do my damnedest to ensure that my customer is happy. That's what a reputable trader would do IMO.

 

If the situation is as stated I'm not clear why additional costs were incurred. The cost of repair (assuming there are no defective parts) is time. Compared to the loss of even one customer, which I would expect to be hundreds of pounds if not more, it's unclear why the luthier wouldn't make good on any "guarantee" .

 

If a new neck is the solution then consider replacing the neck. If, as @Joseph kaye, suggests, there is nothing wrong with the bass - take it back and return his money. Failure to resolve this essentially suggests the luthier values their reputation at the price of a defective neck. The value of good will in this dispute is far greater than the value of the instrument.

 

It would make sense to me to seek an amicable resolution to this matter rather than air dirty laundry on social media.

 

Make it right and put an end to this...

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I start by stating that I know neither party in this dispute and I'm not taking sides on this though one often gets a general "feeling" about disputes. IMO Common sense is often the best guide in these situations.

 

Why would the customer make an issue if there isn't one? If the bass isn't defective as @Joseph kaye suggests what does @ADAM ROBERTS have to gain by bringing it to the attention of this forum? It also appears that at least one other BCer has unresolved issues with one of @Joseph kaye's projects.

 

If I were in the position that my reputation as a luthier was at risk I would do my damnedest to ensure that my customer is happy. That's what a reputable trader would do IMO.

 

If the situation is as stated I'm not clear why additional costs were incurred. The cost of repair (assuming there are no defective parts) is time. Compared to the loss of even one customer, which I would expect to be hundreds of pounds if not more, it's unclear why the luthier wouldn't make good on any "guarantee" .

 

If a new neck is the solution then consider replacing the neck. If, as @Joseph kaye, suggests, there is nothing wrong with the bass - take it back and return his money. Failure to resolve this essentially suggests the luthier values their reputation at the price of a defective neck. The value of good will in this dispute is far greater than the value of the instrument.

 

It would make sense to me to seek an amicable resolution to this matter rather than air dirty laundry on social media.

 

Make it right and put an end to this...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...