Why become a member? ×

NBD: Opinions and Info Wanted on this Vintage Telecaster Style Bass

markyd

I would definitely refinish the body - it looks like the victim of a dirty protest in the prison music room!

Much as I'm not a fan of shonky logos, I'd leave the headstock - a previous owner's put a lot of patience & a degree of artistry into labelling it as something it blatantly isn't, and that's a nice touch of history imo, as is the original dealer sticker on the back. It's originally had a pin badge (the holes are visible if you look closely) and in fairness there's zero chance of finding a replacement, even if you could be sure what it was.

I also think I'd reinstate the bridge pickup it's had at some point, maybe using a stack pot to wire it v/v/t.

• Haha 1

I appreciate what your saying Bassassin, and I agree that it's the music history part of it that makes this one interesting. Even the finish, I guess you could look at this one a classic example of home modifying in the 1970s. People are spending small fortunes on basses that have been made to look beaten up. Not one for the conservatoire for sure but for something more punk I like it.

• Like 1

Funnily enough back in the day we did almost exactly the same to my mate's crappy sattelite (i think) jazz bass...we paint strippered the sunburst off the body, which we discovered, surprise surprise, was plywood, this got the wood dye / boot polish "finish"... The headstock got an artistic job, done by me, a band logo ( rather than a pretender fender), using airfix paints and jazzed up with transfers from a Tamiya russian T34 tank model !

it looked pretty crap but much more punk than it was before, so mission accomplished