Why become a member? ×

DI box

Si600

A bit of a punt whether this is the correct forum section.

We played about with going direct to the mixer last night, and my signal is far too high, you can only mute me with the mute button on the channel, the guitar can be turned down with the knobs on the channel. 

Would a DI box be any help in taming that signal, and if so, which one? I'm not spending an awful lot on it, definitely less than 100€.

Edited by Si600

My signal chain is tuner - zoom b3n - nova dynamics. It went in via normal instrument lead to one of the xlr/6.5 channels, a normal one, not the doubled up ones. AFAIK there is no button on the input section.

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

A DI box will drop your level very slightly, from instrument to mic level, along with balancing the signal and sorting impedance to go into a mic input.

The opposite problem to yours is usually the case- the jack input is usually designed for line level, so a bass plugged in will be practically inaudible, or very weak, noisy, and muffled.

How was the input trim set on the channel, and do you know which make of mixer it was? If we can have a look at the channel strip it might give some clues.

It's an older Behringer, which one I can't say until next week when I'm back in the room. 

The trim pot is the knob under the XLR/ jack? That was the one where even if it was right down you could still hear the signal. We tried a different channel in case it was faulty, but didn't swap the lead out.

I can (mostly) play the right notes in the right order at the right time, and understand my own rig. The mixing is a bit black magic to me.

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

My signal chain is tuner - zoom b3n - nova dynamics. It went in via normal instrument lead to one of the xlr/6.5 channels, a normal one, not the doubled up ones. AFAIK there is no button on the input section.

I'm guessing you're going straight into the desk from one of the pedals? If so, have you got lots of boost on any or all of the effects? On the Zoom, assuming it's like some of their other units, you can set the level of each effect. Ideally they should be at unity (same volume when switched on and off) but if you're boosting the volume on each one then that has a cumulative affect on the output level. Same with the Nova Dynamics.  If that's the case, try dropping everything back to unity gain and see if that helps. 

• Like 1

All my effects have an amount of dirt in them as we're a three piece and I wanted a bit of a fatter sound. I've tried very hard to get the volume equal across the effects though so there's no huge spike, they just sound different. 

What's unity gain?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Si600 said:

What's unity gain?

Basically the “flat” setting that doesn’t cut or boost the volume.

I have an ART Z Direct DI box which allows the input to be cut by 20db. About £30 and works nicely. It runs off batteries or 48v from the mixer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

All my effects have an amount of dirt in them as we're a three piece and I wanted a bit of a fatter sound. I've tried very hard to get the volume equal across the effects though so there's no huge spike, they just sound different. 

Dunno then, that's me out  :scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Basically the “flat” setting that doesn’t cut or boost the volume.

I have an ART Z Direct DI box which allows the input to be cut by 20db. About £30 and works nicely. It runs off batteries or 48v from the mixer.

Oops. I meant the ART X Direct. I have both but the X direct is the one for passive instruments

13 hours ago, Si600 said:

It's a Behringer Eurodesk MX2442a if that's any help at all.

Without looking up that particular  Eurodesk... Whatever pad is on the input, engage it. Lower the input gain to 9 o'clock. If that doesn't work you are sending too much out of your pedal chain somewhere.

Easiest way to find a culprit is take away stuff from the chain. That's not really the proper way to do it but a quick and dirty one.

It may be that unit A is overdriving unit B or could be  C is spazzing even before your signal hits the desk.

It would be helpful if you could find a bass rig. Plug into the fx return and see what that sounds like. If it's a mess you know it's nothing to do with the desk. I fully expect that's the case.

Another possibility is a flattening battery in an active bass.

I have a rig, it's my normal method of being LOUD 😉 My board output goes into the instrument in on my amp. I've never played with the FX loop on it, all my stuff is floor boxes so aren't they the wrong level to go into the FX input?

How does the loop work anyway, do I put the the send in one end of the board and the return to the other or will that result in letting the magic smoke out somewhere?

Edited by Si600

At risk of sounding patronising, both the B3n and the TC Nova dynamics have volume/ level controls. You can make them silent. Is there a reason you can’t just turn them down??

Also, that’s a big mixer for a 3 piece, I’d be arguing for a channel on the board that has a fader!!

Good luck.

18 hours ago, funkydoug said:

At risk of sounding patronising, both the B3n and the TC Nova dynamics have volume/ level controls. You can make them silent. Is there a reason you can’t just turn them down??

Also, that’s a big mixer for a 3 piece, I’d be arguing for a channel on the board that has a fader!!

Good luck.

The channel has a fader, but presumably if the channel input gain/level/whatever knob is turned all the way down the should also be no signal? The only way to shut me up was to stop playing or mute the channel, either with the mute button or the fader. 

I turned the b3n down, I'm not sure where the level control on the dynamics is, it's set to be noise gate and compressor as per the instructions in the manual. 

The gains don’t go to zero on channels with a fader. It’s not usually a problem unless your signal is so hot that you are clipping the channel on minimum gain.

I had a quick look at the manual and there is no pad on the channels of that desk, you need to use the line (TRS jack) input for high-level signals.

• Like 1

Could you try removing the TC box and using b3n to turn volume down?  It has a good noise gate and compressors galore… but I appreciate you might have reason to want the TC to handle dynamics.
Either that or then the TC down using the level knob.

• Like 1

You can check your levels are approximately correct on each device:

• Create a new, empty patch (i.e. no effects) on the Zoom.  Is the volume when using the empty patch approximately the same as when using your existing patches?
  • Similarly, is the volume approx the same either with or without the TC Electronic in the signal path?

You don't need to be at the studio to do these; check with headphones or with your bass rig.

• Like 1