Why become a member? ×

Can you see what it is yet..?

Dad3353

A spell in the Workshop for piercing the holes for the speakers this evening. It's great how much more simple it is with the right tools and some gumption. I was thinking 'jigsaw and lots of filing/sandpaper', but not Our Eldest. After careful measurement he made up a template from spare chipboard for using the router to cut out the hole, testing it first on another bit of gash. We then attacked the baffles. The gumption came from not having enough surface free to clamp the template to the baffle; the solution can be seen in the photo. A strip of ordinary masking tape each side of the hole to be cut, with a matching pair of strips on the template. A trickle of CA glue along the centre of the masking tape and the template is carefully aligned and pressed down, gluing the two pieces together. A clamp for holding it all to the bench; the router made short work of the cut. Once unclamped, the masking tape comes off each piece easily. Rinse and repeat for all six cut-outs, and it's done..! ...

QC8RwKr.jpg

This is the penultimate cut; the combo baffle is already done and whisked away.

Next step will be to prepare the 17² reinforcements, and start assembling the panels. I may decide to paint the boxes after all (I was thinking along the lines of the, now vintage, 'Charlie' amps, which were a very smart natural 'pine' finish, but this plywood doesn't have quite the same aspect..!
I've received a set (well, two sets, really...) of plastic corners from Thomann (cost 10€ delivered...); it seemed like a Good Idea to protect the corners, and for the few coppers, why not..?

To be continued... Onward and Upward..!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

A strip of ordinary masking tape each side of the hole to be cut, with a matching pair of strips on the template. A trickle of CA glue along the centre of the masking tape and the template is carefully aligned and pressed down, gluing the two pieces together.

Wow, I has finally learnt something useful from Basschat 😉

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The workshop area has been occupied lately with guitars being built or repaired, and other luthier nonsense, but we have a private concert to play this Saturday, so it's high time to turn this flat-pack into a combo. I've all the components ready and waiting (all except small screws for the corner protectors, but they should arrive Saturday morning, with any luck, and can be fitted later, anyway...). Here's some snaps of the last couple of days. First, the 'cube' gets clamped up, after having routed out the handle spaces ...

pKOR8p6.jpg

aNCfMRa.jpg

The speaker baffle is used to check the installation of the shelf for the amp at the right height...

5Y3QnX2.jpg

YzAZMOM.jpg

'Measure twice, cut once'; an excellent maxime...

dCr1h98.jpg

r9macCV.jpg

Nearly there; this is the 'port' being glued in. Not much space for the clamps..! The handles have been fitted, too, and the edges routed round, ready for the corner protectors....

vykkDjP.jpg

9YpoV0E.jpg

Tomorrow should see the shelf fitted and the baffle glued in. It only then needs the back screwed on to make it functional, once we've passed the cable through to the amp, which will be bolted to the shelf. All that remains is to allow the glue to cure a little before testing. I may have time to paint it (well, a first coat, maybe...). If the corner screws arrive, it'll be complete, just in time..! Fingers crossed, then... B|

• Like 5