Why become a member? ×

Can you see what it is yet..?

Dad3353

Bass cabs, and amps, we have in plenty. They do a fine job, for small, pub gigs, festival stages and rehearsals at home. However, a new genre has turned up : garden party, or living room, jams or micro-concerts. The essence of these will be almost spontaneous, light-weight affairs, with minimal gear (but of good quality...). There's the rub, presently: we have a practise combo, but it's a bit past its sell-by date, and puny, even then. A recent garden event showed up its weaknesses. It doesn't 'cut the mustard', and for these events, we don't want the faff of a Big Rig (in this context, a 4x10 Ampeg is a Big Rig...). That's the issue; here's the solution...

A while ago now, I bought, from a fellow BC member (thanks again, PPP...) a set of six Phil Jones five-inch speakers (OK, 'drivers', but I'm old, you see, so they're 'speakers' to me...). Now is the time to see what can be made from them. Daft as I am, I immediately thought of the Phil Jones C2-type of cab, and decided to see if I could 'copy' the concept, and make a combo of it. We have on hand an amp (Hartke HA3500; overkill, really, but we have it, so...), so I sketched out a few ideas, and popped them into Blender (a graphics tool I use for 3D printing, making virtual model trains and other stuff...). Here's the result, modelled into 'real-world' panels and carefully assembled to check the measurements...

9359tTk.png

If you've read carefully, you'll remember I had bought six speakers. Let's see what a modular system could look like, with a 4 x 5 extension cab... More modelling; this is what comes up ...

mpE4aIh.png

All very well, but what will it look like really..? I don't know; let's find out. Here they are, stacked in a virtual salon, with a bonhomme for scale...

bu2Cjq3.png

FBp0MQr.png

Well, that's the idea, anyway. I spent two sleepless nights working out a cutting list from one single 2500 x 1220 x 12 sheet of ply, took it to the wood folk and had those panels cut. I've a few lengths of 17² for gluing into the corners; we'll see how it all pans out. It won't be quick (a couple of weeks, maybe..? We'll see...), but I think I have all we need to get started, anyway.

To be continued; wish us luck B|...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, that's the idea, anyway. I spent two sleepless nights working out a cutting list from one single 2500 x 1220 x 12 sheet of ply, took it to the wood folk and had those panels cut. I've a few lengths of 17² for gluing into the corners; we'll see how it all pans out. It won't be quick (a couple of weeks, maybe..? We'll see...), but I think I have all we need to get started, anyway.

I recommend Clark Y. Not very adventurous, maybe, but you can't go wrong with Clark Y.

54 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

It'll need some bracing ?

😎

We'll see, but 12mm is quite stout already, and the panels are not that large. The combo has a shelf for the amp, and the 4x5 will really be 2 x 2x5, as there'll be a dividing horizontal partition between the volumes. I doubt that it'll get so loud as to resonate the panels, but we can always add later, if need be. It's an experiment; there's little 'science' behind it except having seen photos of the PJ C2. The rest (port volume etc... ) is just guesswork. B|

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

How was you thinking of finishing the front edges 🙂

What is this 'finishing' of which you speak..? o.O

At best, it'll get a rub-over with a sanding belt and a coat or two of boat varnish. If that's not good enough, I'm a fan of Hammerite. :D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I recommend Clark Y. Not very adventurous, maybe, but you can't go wrong with Clark Y.

It may well fly as well as many of my other projects, and you're right, Clark Y is tried and tested. xD

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

We'll see, but 12mm is quite stout already, and the panels are not that large. The combo has a shelf for the amp, and the 4x5 will really be 2 x 2x5, as there'll be a dividing horizontal partition between the volumes. I doubt that it'll get so loud as to resonate the panels, but we can always add later, if need be. It's an experiment; there's little 'science' behind it except having seen photos of the PJ C2. The rest (port volume etc... ) is just guesswork. B|

Careful, I'll tag Bill fitzmaurice, and you'll be in big trouble...

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Cato said:

I can't escape the feeling that the combo is staring at me.

It'll be an awesome little rig but probably not particularly lightweight, unless your Hartke 3500 weighs considerably less than my early 90s model.

Our 'normal' rig is a Hiwatt 200w valve PA head, and an HH 2 x 15 folded horn cab. Compared to that, this is feather-weight..! No, the idea was not to get a 'one-hand lift' (possible, certainly, but would imply other investments that are not justified by the usage anticipated...). As long as it's easily transportable and set up, with no 'faff', that'll do. We play 'plug'n'play', so just plug in the lead and that's it. No pedal-board, DI out, monitoring or other stuff. Simple, stout, low budget. The wood, cut, with the 17², cost 90€ all in. I have the speakers and the amp, so...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Careful, I'll tag Bill fitzmaurice, and you'll be in big trouble...

He's welcome to come along and help glue it up; I'm stubborn, but willing to learn from real experts of the sort. As long as it's in budget, naturally. :rWNVV2D:

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you know the speaker part name/code we might be able to get an ideal volume/port size from WinISD

Phil Jones Bass Neopower 5” Driver

That's all there is on the back of the voice coils. I've no more info than that.

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

He's welcome to come along and help glue it up; .... willing to learn from real experts of the sort.

Hope that nobody from Uni of Herts is reading this post...they'll be offering degrees in gluing to go with the other bulllshit degrees they already offer.

28 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Hope that nobody from Uni of Herts is reading this post...they'll be offering degrees in gluing to go with the other bulllshit degrees they already offer.

I think I detect a slight dose of cynicism there ^^. Or were you just being sarcastic..? -_-

xD :P

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Phil Jones Bass Neopower 5” Driver

That's all there is on the back of the voice coils. I've no more info than that.

Hmm... I've been trying to find out some details of Phil Jones Cabs. They seem high on hype and very thin on actual figures (or independent reviews).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Here's a clue ...

eCVJtGG.jpg

None the wiser..? No, It's not a P-Bass. Here's another clue : the cutting list ...

kuBqeJj.png

No..? Still stumped..? Read on; I'll explain in the next couple of posts :)...

Stack of tuition books that you’ve yet to write ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I value highly my degree in David beckham studies 😡

actually I don’t have one of those actually real degrees, I just have a totally Mickey Mouse law degree 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 23:21, Geek99 said:

I value highly my degree in David beckham studies 😡

actually I don’t have one of those actually real degrees, I just have a totally Mickey Mouse law degree 

Micky Mouse and Co. employ some Very Expensive Lawyers...