Why become a member? ×

First amp, 25/40/100?

Silverberry

Hello. I am looking to buy my first amp as beginner, for now I am using Vox's AP2AC headphone amp. After searching a bit, I think I will go for a Fender Rumble. Prices at the moment are 25(£133), 40(£225), 100(£299) - max I can afford at the moment. I see that R40 is very popular but I find it overpriced compared to other two. Lots of people say that R100 is "too big for practice, a bit small for small gigs" and therefore a R25 is a good option for a beginner for practice. I don't have any musicians friends here to play with, so I actually look for something to practice and learn at home. I was monitoring Facebook marketplace for a couple weeks, couldn't find something worthy for my eyes, and also it's a bit risky because I am not experienced on these. What is your opinion and suggestions?

Hi and welcome  silverberry 👍 ,I’ve never had a fender rumble, but I did have a few Ashdown combos which are very good, and you can pick them up for a really reasonable price now, might be worth looking at,  I’m sure someone will be along soon to advise on the rumble 

For home use 15 watts will be enough. I’ve had a good few of the 15 watt 1x8 combos, Fender, Ampeg, Marshall and Ashdown, none of them could be used at full volume unless being extremely inconsiderate to my neighbours. My Ashdown After Eight combo also handled the low B on my 5-string ok - I should add that the Ashdown was the only one I used with a 5-string. 

A 100w Rumble was provided backline on a gig I did last year. I was not expecting anything like the volume that came our of it. It kept up fine with 18 piece jazz orchestra. Tone wise it was nothing like the muddy mess I experienced a couple of years previous from older versions.

If playing with a PA supported rock band it would do fine for a monitor for me. On a pub gig not trying to blow the doors out it might even do fine. Very good value for money.

If you can afford the 100w Rumble, I'd get one. It's still light and compact and will make the transition from practice to gigging amp (within sensible limits, obvs). You will find it easier than a purely practice amp to sell if the time comes to upgrade. Speaking of which, used would be a good option to get more for less. There was a nice one in the Marketplace (not belonging to me or anyone I know) recently.

As a rule of thumb, the more power, the better.  Even for home use. 

Not that I'm some kind of megalomaniac,  but you can't have too much headroom and bass frequencies are notoriously difficult to reproduce.

When/if you decide to start rehearsing/ gigging, do you want two amps or one? A small "home use" amp will struggle in a band situation, and that may well end up being used at home while the bigger one gets wheeled out for band stuff. 

It all depends on space/ storage space/ noise nuisance requirements and funds. 

I've heard good things about the current Fender Rumbles. I'd go for the 100w.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
For context, my amp progression; 80w 1x12. 150w 4x10. 300w 2x10/1×15. 1200w + whatever cab I fancied.

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

If you have 300 quid to spend, have a trawl through the classifieds here and see what takes your fancy. Buying second-hand from here will mean a better amp and the chance to sell (to trade up) without losing any money later on.

Agreed, but do compare/research prices. There is generally much good stuff on offer in BC classifieds, but some pricing is a little optimistic. You have no guarantee when buying used, so inspect thoroughly and be prepared to haggle and even walk away. As a general rule of thumb and barring the rare/exotic/unusual, the going price for used, current equipment in good condition is around half new retail. It may rise to around two thirds for something exceptional - bought new a month ago and never used, etc.

Edited by Dan Dare

If you’re set on one of those three you’ve listed then I’d avoid the 25. I’ve got the 40 and had the 25.

The 25 is ok for making a honky basslike noise for home practise but that’s about it. It’s only got an 8” driver and very limited tone controls.

The 40 sounds like a proper bass amp, 10” driver, loads of different tones and window rattling volume. It’s a totally different animal and I love mine. It is large for a practise amp though.

Having said that, this is a bass forum so the advice is always going to be, get the the biggest one.

Edited by BillyHunt