Why become a member? ×

Another Ashdown Enquiry.....Advice Needed!

spongebob

Following the @lancer thread on the amazing Ashdown prices available at the mo, I'm in need of more help!

I was all set to, in the next week or so, opt for a new 1x15 combo. Then, if needed, add another cab later on. However, seeing the current offeres, I may be better suited with other options.

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/search.html?query=Ashdown&sortpreis_gb=asc&followSearch=9985&noCampaign=True

I'd like to keep the budget low, around £450 or so, give or take. Need around 500w. Lighter the better.

Given the prices, any ideas? 1x15 combo, plus a 1x12 cab? I assume they match? Flexibility of just using the combo initially...my plan A.

Another idea would be a 500 head and 2 1x12 cabs? Again, assume they'd match....Little over £600, but a lighter choice?

Any other suggestions? Given the budget, and my usage, I'm more concerned with value than speaker size....although I do love a 15! 

Edited by spongebob

I bought my Ashdown combo from Musik-Produktiv a while ago (pre-Brexit), and a darn fine amp it is too. The AMP 210-300, which is the old MAG Evo III.

Thing is though, now that Brexit has fully kicked in, don't forget that buying from Europe will make you liable for import charges & tax, so they may not be as good a deal as you may think. MP are based in Germany.

However... on the plus side, PMT are doing the very same amps at very good prices. The 2x10 is £279 & the 1x15 is £269. Not 500w, but 200+w of Ashdown goodness for a bargain price. Add an extension cab, and you'll have 300+w on tap, which will be more than enough for any situation. Not the lightest combos around, but sound great.

The OriginAL 210-300 is £406, and that's a lightweight combo.

I'm only using the combo, and it's more than enough to gig with.

Shop For Ashdown Bass Combos | PMT Online

• Thanks 1

The amp can output 500W so each speaker will get 250W to play with. They can’t output more power than they are fed. Don’t think if it as “limited” though; the speaker power rating is the thermal power and has very little real world bearing on volume or mechanical limits. For that you want to know their sensitivity and excursion really. And very few companies give you both of those bits of information.

10 hours ago, spongebob said:

Only thing which deterred me slightly over the double cab option, is that I think I'd have to carry both all the time.

Small gigs you could do with one cab. When you need everything a laptop bag will carry the head and a cab in each hand is easy. Have done it many, many times! 

I'm sorry but I don't understand how they're doing it at these prices. Ashdown 1x15 for £132 inc taxes and import and cartage? So less than £100 net of the extras. New.  Nice, but almost in the category of "if it seems too good to be true..."

9 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I also suspect there is something wrong with the pricing, has anyone successfully bought anything from them.

Was tempted by the ABM600 IV at £506, but they are listing the  ABM300 for £511 so something isn’t right.

See here:

I've just ordered a 112 locally for about £40 more than MP are selling it. I wish this thread has been posted a day earlier. 

I wanted a super lightweight option for small venues and the 112's look just the job. 

I'm still awaiting delivery, but if it's any good, I'm tempted to order a second one from MP at that price. 2x112's at a total of 600w should be more than I'd ever need for the venue's we play, and I'd never have to hump my super heavy old 115 and 212 anywhere again. 

@lownote@41Hz

I ordered the RM800 on Friday it arrived yesterday in perfect condition, absolutely no dramas.

I paid £286 it included Vat and import charges.

Some of the Ashdown stuff is cheap but if you look at the Orange products for example, they are more expensive.

They may well have their pricing wrong but I emailed to check before I purchased and they confirmed, at the moment, they are the correct pricing 😊

• Thanks 2

Just my advice, I bought an Ashdown rig about 2004 with a 2x10 combo and a 1x15 cab.

I was never fully happy with the full rig.  I could never explain it but it always felt like there was a "hole" in my sound when stood in front of the stack, as though it was phase cancelling or something.

When I joined BC, there were some well respected experts on here advising against having cabs of different driver sizes due to comb filtering effects of the drivers.  I began to wonder if this was what I was experiencing.

I loved both cabs on their own.  I even sometimes ran the 1x15 with the 2x10 speakers disconnected in the combo.  This is  why I would have preferred to buy 2 cabs and a separate head as others have suggested on this thread.

I now have 2x identical cabs so I can use 1 or 2 depending on the gig and it is always a great result.  I'm not blaming Ashdown BTW - I had many happy gigs with the component parts of that stack before I sold it on.

This is all just IMHO of course.....

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Like 2

Strange that.

I used to run a Rumble 500 2x10 combo, with the 1x15 cab.

That was a great combination.....it was strongly suggested at a good mix in the Rumble club over in TB.

I guess every variable has an effect, maybe some brands mix differently to others. I clearly don't have any idea!

These prices are absolutely bonkers, a Rootmaster 500 Combo for £328 is just mad.

I know Andertons we’re reducing prices on Ashdown but these are over £100 cheaper. My brain won’t let me process this, it’s just too good to be true.

Certainly great news @lancer managed to order without issue. Really tempted to put in an order.

I thought there was an EU rule that below 150Euro the shop could cover the duty/vat, but above that figure the duty has to be paid to the courier by the recipient when it’s delivered. I think I read that was the situation with Thomann orders, unless the rules have changed?