Why become a member? ×

Comparing three basses

ped

The muted slap tone on the G&L seems to complement the rest of the sound of the bass best for me, after 3 listens, eyes closed, the other two have a slap tone our ears are more familiar with but overall the G&L tone works best for me in these examples, it's more striking, maybe because it is less often heard

Edited by Aidan63
further detail
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ped said:

I posted this on TB as well, and a quick count up of votes (from those who indicated a particular fave) it's very even!!

G&L - 7

Ray - 8

Celinder - 6

Colour me unsurprised. They’re all good, you lucky duck.*

*Ezbass flounces off in a jealous funk ;) 

On 12/08/2021 at 17:50, ped said:

I just recorded this clip. I tried for ages to get it so that the song played and the basses switched between as you go through but I gave up in the end. There's a few mistakes and so on but it should give a fairly good idea of how they sound. 

Surely they all sound the same and you just chose them for their looks? 😉😂

The Ray for me by a long way. I really wish I could find a Ray that suits as I really like the sound of them in other people’s hands. 

On 12/08/2021 at 23:08, OliverBlackman said:

I liked the stingray best. What would be interesting is how different they’d all sound if someone else was playing them because you seem to have a very soft touch ped. I know that if I played the same stingray with the setup I like it wouldn’t be the same.

If you think Ped’s touch is light, you don’t want to see me playing with a pick. 😂

52 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Surely they all sound the same and you just chose them for their looks? 😉😂

Hehe! But tbf on our fellow BC'er whose comment you are alluding to, it's massively easier to hear nuances of (pretty much) solo'd bass tone in a "bedroom" environment. Put a full rock band alongside and then try deciding which bass was which in a blind test without being able to choose based on their looks? Hmmm not so sure many of us would easily be able to.

Nicely played btw @ped - my vote went to the G&L; it just has a more 'interesting' / richer tone.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ped said:

I hope that was the swear filter!! haha. Thanks - well if nothing else it's confirmed that all my basses are better than I am which is kind of cool

It was not, I was being controlled and sensible ;) (for a change). An old fashioned turn of phrase certainly, I’m not sure why I used it.

I'm thinking again what I said elsewhere yesterday, we can tell that your hands have an instinctive understanding of the sound of the SB-1 – there's no sense of your consciousness having to tell them how to produce what you're wanting, the colouring and the articulation feel natural and uninhibited, so the line is both smooth and characterful.

25 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm thinking again what I said elsewhere yesterday, we can tell that your hands have an instinctive understanding of the sound of the SB-1 – there's no sense of your consciousness having to tell them how to produce what you're wanting, the colouring and the articulation feel natural and uninhibited, so the line is both smooth and characterful.

Whereas I would guess the ceilinder is the least played of the 3 

I couldn’t get the video to sync with the Celinder no matter what I tried. iMovie would only let me drag the audio or video in straps too larger to get a match. I’m going to use Final Cut Pro next time 

I think the Celinder for me. The G&L was just a bit too 'thumps' for this track; the pops just didn't POP!

The Stingray had the lovely 'tight' sound that they're brilliant for, but it was lacking in low end authority.

The Celinder had it all - lots of low end, a bit of a growl, and lovely glassy pops.

The 'Ray would probably have suited the track if the bassline had been busier, where too much low end muddies stuff up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4000 said:

If you think Ped’s touch is light, you don’t want to see me playing with a pick. 😂

I showed my other half the vids. She doesn't play any instrument, but said "He just strokes the strings. You just attack them" 🤣

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
Celinder for me, but it was through a phone speaker!
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I showed my other half the vids. She doesn't play any instrument, but said "He just strokes the strings. You just attack them" 🤣

Strokes the strings. That’s absolutely me too. Except when I’m intentionally digging in of course, 

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hehe! But tbf on our fellow BC'er whose comment you are alluding to, it's massively easier to hear nuances of (pretty much) solo'd bass tone in a "bedroom" environment. Put a full rock band alongside and then try deciding which bass was which in a blind test without being able to choose based on their looks? Hmmm not so sure many of us would easily be able to.

Nicely played btw @ped - my vote went to the G&L; it just has a more 'interesting' / richer tone.

It does indeed depend on the situation you’re playing in. But personally I think it’d have to be a pretty extreme situation to not be able to hear the difference between the first couple of basses particularly. Even if you didn’t know what basses were being used, I’d be surprised if you couldn’t hear any difference at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Really?! If Ped said come over for a brew and you can try one bass - that’s the bass I would want to try

Anyone is welcome to come and show me how to play my basses! I’m just outside York so if you’re in the ‘hood’ let me know!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 4000 said:

It does indeed depend on the situation you’re playing in. But personally I think it’d have to be a pretty extreme situation to not be able to hear the difference between the first couple of basses particularly. Even if you didn’t know what basses were being used, I’d be surprised if you couldn’t hear any difference at all.

My sense is that at a pub gig with a full rock band the only person who is likely to notice a difference in tone between two different 4 (or 5) string basses will be the fella / lady standing nearest to the bass rig, playing some great bass riffs with a slight air of disdain, whose ear is most attuned to the sounds of the bass i.e. us!

But do you know what? Even if the only person who is really getting pleasure from the nuances of live tone from their different basses is us, that's plenty good enough a reason :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1