Why become a member? ×

Comparing three basses

ped

I just recorded this clip. I tried for ages to get it so that the song played and the basses switched between as you go through but I gave up in the end. There's a few mistakes and so on but it should give a fairly good idea of how they sound. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My wretched opinon: favourite would probably be no.1 were it strung with rounds, but as things are I'll say, aren't Stingrays wonderful for music like this?

ps After more listens back and forth, no.1 is my favourite, despite the flats ;) Love the depth of the tone. 

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

G&L SB-1 sounds best to my ears, even if the other two are richer in the highs they're getting on top of the sticky guitar groove too much for my taste, if the bass level was lowered / EQ'd a little in those frequencies I think it would lose a lot of the bite. Flats win for my ears in that mix, and the P-like mids are hard to argue against.

Nice.

• Like 3

I liked the black ones best.
The G&L reminds me of when I stuck chromes on my L1000 - which I didn’t like! So even though it sounds fine that makes the ceilinder the winner for me. 
interesting to see the different rh positions fingerstyle too

not that it was a competition or anyone would care about what I think! 

• Like 1

Stingray sounds best to me but I am biased because I have a Stingray for that "stingy" gritty but in the high notes that is unmistakably Stingray. 

None are bad basses, all fit the style to me, but the Ray has its own very distinct personality. I did like the Celinder too though. 

• Like 1

G&L 1st

Celinder 2nd

Ray 3rd

The G&L sits so well with other instruments. It's dirty & funky. A touch too much sparkle on the other two demands too much attention and they sit too high in the mix though maybe some eq would help.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ped said:

Every time someone says their fave I go back to listen and think “yeah me too”

…until someone says a different one, then I do the same again 😆

It depends what you’re wanting from it. Each of them does something different and if that’s the thing you’re looking for it’s the best. After reading @MGBrown’s comment, I went back and had yet another listen and the low down, solid sound of the G&L is beguiling, I really like it (it’s not unlike my Mustang, which I’m massively in love with currently). I like the ‘Ray for the added bit of nasal midrange that makes it sit well, but still stand out (if that makes sense) in that track. The Celinder, unsurprisingly, has elements of both the ‘Ray and the G&L due to its J bass DNA, which, to my ears, makes it less distinctive. Ultimately, as I opened with, it’s down to what you’re looking for, which leads to each of them being the best for a given set of parameters. If I heard any one of them on a recording or in a live setting, my ears would be happy. 

• Like 5